KiteLife Forum

Excited and Disappointed

Toyguy

Came home to find my new Rev 1.5 SLE here today, so I was quite excited to get a look at it and watch the video. After breaking open the package, that excitement was soured when I discovered that the "package" they sell does not include any lines. It seems to me rather stupid to sell packages, which are most likely going to end up in the hands of new flyers like me, that are incomplete. What possible good are two handles and a kite, with nothing to connect them? What should have been a happy evening learning about my new kite has instead left a sour taste in my mouth. In addition to feeling stupid, because I did not notice this in the online catalog description where it was, in all fairness, well stated, I can't help but feeling taken advantage of. I now have to part with another $50 or so in order to make any use of the thing, or hassle through the return process if I choose to just forget about it. It reminds me of the old auto dealer tricks with bait and switch - buy this cheap car "package" but oh, by the way, it doesn't include a gas tank. Had I known, or noticed, that lines weren't included, I probably woud have bought the new Prism Zephyr instead, which comes with 2 linesets as a point of comparison.

Given that this industry is apparently a small niche industry, and one that is trying to grow, I think manufacturers would do well to put more thought into the overall effects of their marketing decisions. Prism is one company that has learned this, I think. Whenever I buy a Prism kite, with a few exceptions like the Quantum Pro where it makes sense, they come complete, ready-to-fly right from the package.

I guess I'll get back to the board with questions in another week, by the time any lines I order will get here.

Color me disillusioned...

Came home to find my new Rev 1.5 SLE here today, so I was quite excited to get a look at it and watch the video. After breaking open the package, that excitement was soured when I discovered that the "package" they sell does not include any lines. It seems to me rather stupid to sell packages, which are most likely going to end up in the hands of new flyers like me, that are incomplete. What possible good are two handles and a kite, with nothing to connect them? What should have been a happy evening learning about my new kite has instead left a sour taste in my mouth. In addition to feeling stupid, because I did not notice this in the online catalog description where it was, in all fairness, well stated, I can't help but feeling taken advantage of. I now have to part with another $50 or so in order to make any use of the thing, or hassle through the return process if I choose to just forget about it. It reminds me of the old auto dealer tricks with bait and switch - buy this cheap car "package" but oh, by the way, it doesn't include a gas tank. Had I known, or noticed, that lines weren't included, I probably woud have bought the new Prism Zephyr instead, which comes with 2 linesets as a point of comparison.

Given that this industry is apparently a small niche industry, and one that is trying to grow, I think manufacturers would do well to put more thought into the overall effects of their marketing decisions. Prism is one company that has learned this, I think. Whenever I buy a Prism kite, with a few exceptions like the Quantum Pro where it makes sense, they come complete, ready-to-fly right from the package.

I guess I'll get back to the board with questions in another week, by the time any lines I order will get here.

Color me disillusioned...

It is really up to you what you order.

Revolution offers all of their kites with or without lines and/or handles. What more can they do?

As I do have several Revolution kites, lines and handles, I have no need for extra lines and/or handles with each new REV, I order.

Thus, I choose to buy only the kite.

Interestingly, I've checked most of the other online shops I deal with and I see none of them carrying a Rev 1.5 SLE "package" that includes line. If it were my company, I wouldn't be advertising this as a package. That brings with it an implication that isn't met.

Honestly, what possible good is a package that includes a kite, handles, training exercise documents and a DVD with no flying lines. That's just dumb for a product that is clearly aimed at the novice. The experienced folks will just buy the "Kite only" option.

i've been drooling on many websites for Rev's and about half of them sell w/line and half without line.

Problem is 1.5 SLE ($$$$$)is not the beginner kite, therefore they assume ur gonna pick a specific lineset($$) and are not new to the hobby.

All spectra line is not created equal.

I've seen noobs with SLE's put the EXP spar into an SLE cuz its "easier to fly"

If you are a kiter of any kind you know how to make a set of lines. I buy bulk line and make my own line sets. That way I can make them any length I like. I even make a 200' set to play with for a day before cutting it down to the 120' and 80' I wanted. Just remember when ordering that you need 4 lines and 4 sleeves for each set. Last time out I got 900' to get the 120', 80', and a 15' sets that I wanted.

Interestingly, I've checked most of the other online shops I deal with and I see none of them carrying a Rev 1.5 SLE "package" that includes line. If it were my company, I wouldn't be advertising this as a package. That brings with it an implication that isn't met.

Honestly, what possible good is a package that includes a kite, handles, training exercise documents and a DVD with no flying lines. That's just dumb for a product that is clearly aimed at the novice. The experienced folks will just buy the "Kite only" option.

First, the SLE is not really the beginners REV. The EXP is the beginners REV 1.5 and less expensive.

The reasoning behind Revolution offering the package without lines has a lot to do with the dealers requesting this.

Many dealers offer their own line sets possibly from the same mfr or another. Dealers often make up their own line sets from bulk thus saving them a lot of money which they can pass on to the buyer.

They can often offer you from cheap low-end spectra lines to high-end expensive lines. I always recommend high-end lines as the cost to life ratio is very well worth it.

Gotta' read that fine print... Not really fair to beat up on the retailer if it was stated right on the page. Many Rev flyers....Many kite flyers in general have many kites of the same type and know the line they like to fly on. Just think...now you can order that B Series and not have to worry about line!!

Gotta' read that fine print... Not really fair to beat up on the retailer if it was stated right on the page. Many Rev flyers....Many kite flyers in general have many kites of the same type and know the line they like to fly on. Just think...now you can order that B Series and not have to worry about line!!

The B doesn't "come with" line either. I agree most don't want the line and even if they did that line would they get. So many preferances out there.

We offer two versions of our Revolutions, one complete package (which includes line) and one that is kite/sleeve only. I agree that a complete package should be....um...complete!

The only Rev that we do not sell with lines is the B-series which is not available with lines. We make sure to list this for our customers and make multiple line options available right on the same page as the kite.

I get irritated when I see someone trying to learn how to fly their brand new Rev and find that it has inferior line supplied with it. Most of the time the customer blames the kite, not the low quality line that was stuffed in so that particular shop could make a couple extra dollars profit. This is usually only done by online shops that offer the cheapest price around. Like most things you get what you pay for. Unfortunately this reflects back on the kite, not the junky lines. It's like blaming a race car for bad performance when it has wooden tires on it.

On the bright side you can now shop around for the perfect lineset. I suggest 90# Spectra line. Check around and see what length others in your area are flying. If you want to fly with I-quad, the 120' lines is the ticket. Myself, I like 75' lines.

Do not buy anything but pure 100% Spectra line. Nothing else compares in performance. Shanti and Laser Pro Gold are two of the top brands and what I would recommend.

Hope this helps.

Thanks for all the comments.

I was merely trying to point out what seems like a bit of a marketing disconnect on the part of Revolution. The kite came in a nicely compartmentalized poly bag, so I can only assume the company packaged it. As I said, it was my own fault for not reading the description more closely, but the word "package" carries a certain connotation for me, and I suspect for others.

I have a set of Laser Pro Gold 90# x 85' on the way which should be here by week's end, so perhaps I will get some flying in this weekend.

I got the kite out and put it together tonight, so I will post an initial question or two later on in an additional thread. This one has run its course :)

• 2 weeks later...
I was merely trying to point out what seems like a bit of a marketing disconnect on the part of Revolution.

As was pointed out, not really a marketing disconnect on the part of Revolution...it's up to the DEALER to determine how they want to market the kite (with or without lines). I too usually sell my 1.5 series and EXPs with line but will offer them without line if the buyer wants them that way. And, when selling a B-series, I always make sure that the customer knows that the standard package does NOT inlcude line (which is how it comes from Revolution).

With regard to selling kites with line, many dealers sell ALL of their kites without lines (both single line kites and sport kites).

But, don't blame Revolution for something that is the result of a dealer's decision as to how they sell their products.

Jim

Sky Jewels Kites

Thanks for all the comments.

delete-

I got the kite out and put it together tonight, so I will post an initial question or two later on in an additional thread. This one has run its course :P

but I didnt' get to say anything. Fine.. be that way-I didn't have anything to say anways. :kid_cussing: lol BB Penny