KiteLife Forum

Assembling the Rev 1.5 SLE

Toyguy

I took the new kite out and tried putting it together tonight. I think I did it correctly but one question did come up. Do I understand correctly that the vertical spars run behind the sail when I am looking at it with the logo reading in the right direction?

The reason I ask is that getting the top retainers for those verticals back over the leading edge seems to impart quite a bit of twist to them and results in the retainer being jammed up next to the disk or washer with the bungie knots in it. This skews the retainer off to one side or the other of the knot bundle. Does that matter?

Thanks...

Dave

Yes, vertical spars go on back, and, yes, those bungies can get a bit jammed. I don't think it really matters as long as the bridle comes off cleanly. I do try to make both sides symmetric (e.g., both end caps inside/outside the washers). I think things loosen up a bit with use.

I took the new kite out and tried putting it together tonight. I think I did it correctly but one question did come up. Do I understand correctly that the vertical spars run behind the sail when I am looking at it with the logo reading in the right direction?

The reason I ask is that getting the top retainers for those verticals back over the leading edge seems to impart quite a bit of twist to them and results in the retainer being jammed up next to the disk or washer with the bungie knots in it. This skews the retainer off to one side or the other of the knot bundle. Does that matter?

Thanks...

Dave

Did you receive a video with your REV?

I know the earlier videos did explain in detail how to install all rods.

I did receive a DVD with the kite, but it really only shows the assembly being done from a wider-angle view, nothing close up. At first, the natural lay of the various caps ended up with me having the verticals on the front, but I could see that was wrong while watching the DVD so I flipped them all over to the back. The bottom caps go equally easily on the front or back of the sail. I was just concerned that the top caps angle off to one side or the other after being rolled to the back of the sail because of the way the bungie runs through them. You can't really see that on the video and I had no idea if it mattered. I'm guessing it doesn't.

I did receive a DVD with the kite, but it really only shows the assembly being done from a wider-angle view, nothing close up. At first, the natural lay of the various caps ended up with me having the verticals on the front, but I could see that was wrong while watching the DVD so I flipped them all over to the back. The bottom caps go equally easily on the front or back of the sail. I was just concerned that the top caps angle off to one side or the other after being rolled to the back of the sail because of the way the bungie runs through them. You can't really see that on the video and I had no idea if it mattered. I'm guessing it doesn't.

Seems the videos might have changed over the years. I will have to get my hands on one of the new ones and have a look.

The rods definitely go on the back and I tend to rotate the upper end caps so that the knot of the bungee points to the center of the sail, not outwards. You should also check that all bridle points at end caps come directly out of the end cap and are not wrapped around the end cap thus shortening that point of the bridle.