KiteLife Forum

Understanding the Rev flight controls

Toyguy

Here are the first of what will be many questions :)

What's the right way to think about flight control on the Rev? Does control of the kite rotate around the top of the handle? This is hard to put into words but it seems to me that the top of the handle works somewhat like a combination throttle/yoke. I push or pull the top forward to control speed and then pivot the handle around that top point to control turns.

What confuses me, then, is the reverse flying. I could keep the top of the handle in the same place, and rotate the bottoms forward. I could also simply rotate the handle about its center point, but that brings the top further back and should theoretically add more forward speed. Which of those 2 is the more correct way to think about how it works.

Finally, how do people tend to hold their handles? I tried just gripping it around the shaft above the foam grip, as the manual instructed, but that felt completely insecure to me. I switched to holding the foam grip with a thumb against the back of the top of the shaft.

Thanks for the input...

Dave

I started to get into this whole thing about rotating the thumbs down bla bla bla then remembered that Rev has done this much better than I ever could. Plus pictures. Also after you master this go on to series 2. So for great lessons. simply go here.

http://www.revkites.com/main/TechniquesRev Flying Techniques

Adjustable "pigtails" on the handles will really help adjust the balance of forward and reverse and the feel on the handles. Do a forum search here and on the Rev forums and you should find plenty of info. In general, you'll probably find you prefer a much shorter bottom line connection compared to how the handles come stock.

--Lee

IMO all that techincal stuff is just a headache... take your kite out and fly it youll feel what you like .. you notice ways you both foward and revers flights that youll find for you likeing.. and in time you also find that you ll want to do pigtail adjustments to better your flying .. other fliers will tell you things in here some will work for you others might not .. but its not them.. youll take the info given and use it to help you find the way youll fly you revs that is the best i can explain it .. everybody has a diffrent flying style .. trust me youll find yours

I usually keep my hands near the top of the foam, with my thumbs on the plastic at the top. If I feel like I want a little more break (and I'm too lazy to move the line back a notch) I bring my hands down a bit. Reverse flight is touchy. I would recommend practicing your side and inverted hover first.