KiteLife Forum

Putting a wrap in a JL

DaveH

After the lateral roll, or half backspin in a JL lots of folks throw in a wrap. I can do this only on some kites. With my Acrobatx it happens every time. But with my QP it takes a lot of work. Best results with that kite have been for me with the two pop method, which I find a bit slow. I'm wondering if its a technical issue. Can anyone help me with this? I've been throwing the backflip in just as the lateral roll comes level. Should I hesitate a second? I ask this because even with the QP I don't have any trouble getting a consistent wrap from a front flip, but in the middle of the JL its really hard to get it to go around. Unless of course I'm flying the Acrobatx. Thoughts?

Thanks for any help!

Dave

• 3 weeks later...
thanks, John.

Dave

when you roll out of the fade try popping when you have the nose more near the down vertical position. Some kites tend to do big backwards, incomplete loops when the nose is too horizontal. Also, try not to power up the kite at all before popping. Roll it out-no tension in the lines-pop. I've found suls especially sensitive due to their lack of spar mass. All to be taken with a grain of salt.

Good point, and thank you. Since originally starting this thread, I've worked on my technique and timing and now I'm fairly consistent with the wrap during a JL with the QP. But then today I spent a few hours on my new Blue Moon Exile. Its like no problem at all! Very easy to get the wrap and hit the stoppers. I always felt the QP made it harder than it needed to be. The Exile is easy, quick and controlled in this and other pitch based moves. Really precise, too. For my money a different class of kite.