KiteLife Forum

Help Needed.Silver Fox 2.5 STD or VTD?

lasapcheong

Hi,

I currently have a Silverfox 2.5 UL and I absolutely fell in love with it. Tricking this kite is real easy.

Where I live winds are kind of light but now and then when I take a trip to the beach I sometimes come face to face with 15MPH ++ winds, a range definitely outside the UL's capability.

I'm thinking of getting another silver fox to complete my arsenal of trick kites that have have widest wind range. For my UL, anything about 8mph the beast doesn't trick as easily..At the ocean with 15mph thats definitely out..I don't want to wreck my UL just yet..

Need suggestions hence. Should I get the STD or VTD? My main aim is to really find another silver fox where I can pull out when my UL seems to want to implode when the winds get really high, so I have 2 kites that can easily trick from winds as low as 1mph up to 25mph.

I see from Flying Wing's website that both of them have a minimum wind requirement (STD at 3 - 20mph, VTD at 3 - 30mph). How is the trickability and stability then at winds at maybe around 8mph - 20 mph? If I get a VTD how will it perform at say...6 - 8 mph for example..will it be as much of an effort to haul the VTD up the sky at that wind range?

Any advice appreciated.

Thanks

Darryl

Thanks. I was thinking along this train of thought as well..Having a UL and a VTD seems to leave a hole somewhere in the 8 - 15 mph wind range for a suitable kite.

While on the subject of this I have a question though..What happens if you fly the UL in winds of like 15mph? Stress on the frames I know because they are ultralight frames and not as strong. I would think that the kite will fly a lot faster and be harder to control compared to a STD. Howabout the trickability of an UL under strong winds? Just curious to plough deeper into the mechanics of Kite Design..

Thanks

The Silver Fox UL is my general choice for 2-10 mph.

My STD has been great for me from roughly the 8-16 mph range.

I just got my vented Silver Fox, and found it to fly best in 12 mph and more.

While on the subject of this I have a question though..What happens if you fly the UL in winds of like 15mph? Stress on the frames I know because they are ultralight frames and not as strong. I would think that the kite will fly a lot faster and be harder to control compared to a STD. Howabout the trickability of an UL under strong winds? Just curious to plough deeper into the mechanics of Kite Design..

Pretty much any kite will be faster and harder to control in winds over their recommended wind ranges... If your UL or STD is loading up enough, the frame (and airfoil) start to distort, severely changing a kite's characteristics for the worse... Never mind the greatly increased likelihood of breakage!

In high winds, it's also harder to drop your kite onto it's back for more advanced tricks... Simply, it makes sense to have the right strength and weight of kite for the wind.

• 3 weeks later...

I see a Silver Fox in my future also. :)

Is seems like a good kite for the money.

Has anyone seen any differences in flying the 2.3s, as compared to the 2.5? :confused!:

With the 2.3 being a bit more cost effective, I was thinks of going that route.

**FlyinKen**

Thing about kites like the 2.3, they're smaller... This brings a faster style into play, faster reflexes and that feeling you get from speed.

It's fun, and has it's own flavor... A full size kite like the 2.5 is a bit slower, the steps from move to move are a bit clearer, and it can be more elegant in most cases.

Cost aside, the choice also comes down to what you're looking for.

2 cents in hand. :)

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...
i got a 2.5 std and use it as a carrier for a 50' transition tail

there's two way to adjust the bridle

-3 point mode(precision)

or

-turbo mode (more trick flying)

most of the time for me it's on turbo mode spin more faster!

maybe try it before buy it...

;)

Could just be my indiviual kite n' bridle....but my SL 2.5 UL WILL NOT WING-TIP TURN OR SPIN ON IT'S WING TIP... in normal winds with the 3POINT PRECISION SETTING...NO MATTER HOW YA TRY...

After switching to the TURBO...no problem...except on that setting the kite foward drive and speed is SOOOO SLOW-MO! :D

i got a 2.5 std and use it as a carrier for a 50' transition tail

there's two way to adjust the bridle

-3 point mode(precision)

or

-turbo mode (more trick flying)

most of the time for me it's on turbo mode spin more faster!

maybe try it before buy it...

:sq-sad:

Could just be my indiviual kite n' bridle....but my SL 2.5 UL WILL NOT WING-TIP TURN OR SPIN ON IT'S WING TIP... in normal winds with the 3POINT PRECISION SETTING...NO MATTER HOW YA TRY...

After switching to the TURBO...no problem...except on that setting the kite foward drive and speed is SOOOO SLOW-MO! ;)

Interesting problems you are both experiencing gentlemen.. May I suggest that you offload some of the ballast on the keel, and then try again. As there is an excessive amount of ballast supplied with the SF 2.3 and 2.5. It is then up to the individual to make the SF do the business. There is not a trick out there that in the right hands the SF 2.3 or 2.5 won't do gents..

There is no need to mess with the bridle settings either, as tinkering will only make matters worse. Lose the ballast and see the difference. There are many sportkite flyers who are having great experiences with the Flying Wings Silver Fox range. So if at first you don't succeed, try and try again...

Regards,

Merlion