KiteLife Forum

Prism Hypnotist

longline

Hi folks... I have no kite and have never flown one – but will buy one sometime soon and take to the wind. The question I have concerns the Prism Hypnotist – wondering if anyone has tried one – and what you might think of the kite after flying it.

I’m considering it because a novice supposedly can handle it, and because it seems built with plenty of crashes in mind (shock absorber of the Quantum) and will provide plenty of ‘growth-time’ as one grows in expertise.

My only concern is that it won’t fly in lighter winds, but being in the Los Angeles area, I don’t know of many places to find sustained light winds anyway.

Once last question – just how important is it to have a wind meter? I’ve flown radio control sailplanes for many hours without one - though I had a wind meter back then that I rarely consulted.

Thanks for your time....

Hey LongLine...

I have both the Quantum and Hypnotist, and I think they're both great. They are both very durable, will definitely stand up to many a crash. Trust me, if I haven't broken either yet, they must be bullet-proof. As far as variable winds and low wind, the Hypno will fly in anything 3mph to 30mph. The Quantum seems to need a little more puff to get off the ground, and I've never flown it in over 15mph, so I don't know it's upper threshold.

If your winds are really light and variable, I think the others here are going to recommend a different kite. I don't have a decent light wind kite yet, all of mine are fragile and twitchy so far, so I can't recommend a good alternate. I've read great things about the Silver Fox, and it's right in the price range of the Hypnotist.

Anyway, good luck, I hope you find a spot with a good, steady wind.

~Rob.

I have the Hypnotist and I love it. As you noted, it has the shock absorber and I have put it to much good use :clap; I have been able to do some tricks with it, but that's really more a matter of my limited skills. I'm sure it is capable of much more than I am at this point.

I also just purchased a Quantum, but I have no air time with it yet. It is definitely heavier and will need more wind. I can imagine it would be a bit more rugged than the Hypnotist too. I doubt it will trick as well though, so I am glad I bought the Hypnotist. I got the Quantum mainly for my wife, who finds the Hypno a little too twitchy to learn on. I don't find it twitchy at all.

I also have a Silver Fox and it is extremely pitchy, with or without weights. It's a heck of a deal for an advanced kite but I'm not sure I'd recommend it. I've put mine away for a while because it's beyond me. Also, quality is not as high as the Prisms. I've had a number of issues with bad glue joints, weights falling off, etc. I can fix all that but you do get what you pay for. It's in a whole different league though, more analagous to the Quantum Pro than the Hypno or Quantum.

Dave

The Hypnotist is an awesome kite to start out with. It is a larger wing than the Quantum and has a larger window that it can fly in. It is very durable as well. The nice thing about the hypnotist over some of the other kites is that it comes with the Freestyle Pilot DVD which will help you learn tricks easier. The first thing I would suggest is watching the ground recoveries section, this is usually the most valuable. Next the stalls and so on.

Great kite, excellent price when you include the cost of purchasing the DVD separately and it looks great too!

Thanks Rob, Dave, 'ant man,' and Kent...

I'm most happy to see your replies, and conclusions that the Hypnotist can be handled by an absolute novice.

Dave and Rob - thanks for verification of durability! ~grin~ - I'm certain I'll test that mightily...

Kent, I found your comment on the larger size to be particularly interesting - and a vindication of sorts regarding my thought that a larger kite might be somewhat less squirrelly than the smaller beginner models. I indeed do look forward to that Freestyle Pilot DVD!

I've still not ordered one, mainly because I've not gone 'price shopping' yet - but, hope to get one 'on the way' soon.

Thanks again to you all...

• 4 weeks later...
The hypnotist does not come with the DVD, the Mirage did.

Prism changed the name of the kite, from mirage to hypnotist, and also removed the dvd from the packaging.

This was prism's response to me asking that question. The Mirage was 130 bucks, and the Hypnotist is 99, DVD is 30, you do the math LOL

Interesting - my kite has Hypnotist printed on it and it did come with the DVD. Bought new just this past August...

Dave

It is an exellent DVD if anyone is thinking of buying one. If it is not included with the kite it is worth the extra money.

Only one problem though. no matter how many times I watch it with my kite beside me of course. My kite seems not to pick the information up.

I know, practice, practice, practice.

The hypnotist does not come with the DVD, the Mirage did.

Prism changed the name of the kite, from mirage to hypnotist, and also removed the dvd from the packaging.

This was prism's response to me asking that question. The Mirage was 130 bucks, and the Hypnotist is 99, DVD is 30, you do the math LOL

I don't want to contradict you but I think you may have received some wrong information.

We are an authorized Prism dealer and all of our Hypnotists do indeed come from Prism with the Freestyle Pilot DVD. The name change from the "Mirage" to the "Hypnotist" was done because the Mirage name was found to be previously used on another kite from another manufacturer years before. The actual kite design and packaging did not change and the DVD is still included, just the name was changed.

Your local shop may actually break the package down into two separate items but Prism does include the DVD with the Hypnotist package as well as the E2 package.

You can verify this information by checking the Prism website which also lists the kite complete, ready to fly with the DVD.

Prism Website - Hypnotist

Hope that clears that up a bit.

The Hypnotist is a great kite. It is very durable and axle's, cascades and flick-flacks are awesome.