KiteLife Forum

Revolution I - Different Wraps

Syruss

I have a Revolution I quad kite which I love. The problem is that in Medford Oregon there isn't always enough wind! I would like to get a 3-wrap frame and eventually a 2 wrap frame.

Does anyone know where I can order these for that kite and what all I need to order? Do I replace all 5 rods?

Signed,

Wanting to Fly More in Medford, Syruss

The spars from the EXP (the EXP comes with all 3 wrap) and Rev I are different, so don't try to mix and match. It would be ideal to get a full set (all five). But you can mix and match different spars in different places. For example, the center of the LE has the most stress, so you would have a stronger spar there, weaker spars on the ends of the LE, then even weaker for the down spars.

I would suggest ordering these spars from The Kite Shoppe (www.thekiteshoppe.com) or streight from rev (www.revkites.com).

PS. if you have time to wait, instead of getting a 2 wrap frame, rev should be coming out with race rods for the Rev 1. In case you are unfamiliar withrace rods, basically, they are lighter and stronger than a 2 wrap. I have a set for my 1.5 and B-Series, and they are AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Syruss, you didn't say which LE you have in your Rev 1 now, but I assume it is probably the SLE (about a 1/2" in diameter). The Rev 1 is also available with a 4 wrap 1/4" LE which is a better light wind performer. Also available are the 3 and 2 wrap frame sets with increasing light wind performance, flex and fragility. All are available ready made for the Rev 1 and should be available through any kite shop that carries Rev kites. If you are going to invest in other LEs, I would recommend getting the complete 5 pc. frame set in a 3 and a 2 wrap.

You can order different rods for your Rev 1 HERE - Rev 1 Rods

We have different rods in stock for the Rev 1, including the 2 wrap SUL rods. The wing/vertical's are the same size as the leading edge end rods. Most of the time you can keep the same vertical rods in your kite and just change the leading edge. This helps lighten the kite up quite a bit for the lighter winds. If you want to order in a complete SUL frame you would need 4 leading edge end rods and one center rod.

You don't have to change anything on your kite to fit the SUL frame in. It is completely interchangeable with your current rods.

You can order different rods for your Rev 1 HERE - Rev 1 Rods

We have different rods in stock for the Rev 1, including the 2 wrap SUL rods. The wing/vertical's are the same size as the leading edge end rods. Most of the time you can keep the same vertical rods in your kite and just change the leading edge. This helps lighten the kite up quite a bit for the lighter winds. If you want to order in a complete SUL frame you would need 4 leading edge end rods and one center rod.

You don't have to change anything on your kite to fit the SUL frame in. It is completely interchangeable with your current rods.

It's on order with you guys :P Can't wait to get them so I can fly more often.

I wonder if I should go buy the domain name i-quintuple.com as I just know with 2-3 weeks under my belt I will be the next John Barresi. Don't be jealous John, you'll still be the top dog LOL

If I practice for like 4 years I might be able to chase his kite in a circle. But by then he'll be flying 3 quads at once like Gary McCacron (sp)

Just catching up here in the office, glad these guys got you sorted out Syruss. :P

Practice up, I'm ready for ya! <grin>

Fear Not oh Flighted One LOL

BTW: for all of you who don't know what a great guy John is here is a story for you.

There I was on the beach in Crescent City this last Saturday and I was watching John show off a bit, so I decided to get out the Rev I and get to practicin'

After several crashes something just didn't seem right. I had Nathan (a youngster who flies WAY better than me, 12 years old I think) fly it and he had the same problem. We looked the kite over and I finally realized the problem. The Bridle was TOTALLY tied goofy. This is the way it came from the factory. So we tried to fix it to no avail. John came over and totally took the bridle apart down to no knots or anything and retied the whole thing. Probably took half an hour or so to get it all right. He certainly could have said to contact Rev and have them send a new bridle but he didn't.

After that it was like flying a whole new kite. I thought I was just a moron and couldn't fly a quad. But it turns out, I AM A MORON WHO CAN'T FLY A QUAD (AS WELL AS JOHN LOL).

On Monday I went out and flew it in good wind and it was 100% better. I was able to do some basic stunts and all and had a blast!

Thanks John, I will send you my first born... Wait I don't have a first born, but I do have 3 kids from my wifes first marriage and I think you deserve them. Can you send me the address and FedEx number so I can get them on their way to you as soon as possible.

To anyone thinking of ordering at Awindofchange, they are really helpful.

Somehow in my order I managed to select the wrong rod and they called me and got it all straightened out. Lots of companies would have just shipped the wrong ones and said it was what you ordered!

Kudos to http://www.AWindOfChange.com