KiteLife Forum

West Delta Park

kitecrazy

The hotspot for flying here in PDX back in the early years was the parking lot at PIR(Portland International Raceways ) in West Delta Park . Flyers like Troy Gunn , Dave Britian , Mike Sterling and Team Cyborg among others flew out there . Summertime there were people flying almost everyday . It got so crowded some times you had to take turns!

post-59-1088044160.gif

I've been to Delta park a few times looking for places to fly. It all seems to be soccer fields and parking lots, all of which are usually busy.

Although I live in Portland I do most of my flying at the beach.

Is there good field in PDX?

Some people head out to Broughton Beach along the river by the airport too... Team Invisible Wind and David Brittain used to practice there back in the day.

The sand has the odd habit of sucking the "glimmer" out of new sails though, so be wary... A bit narrow too, but flyable.

Thanks for the tips guys. I've been meaning to go north and check out parks in the Vancouver area just haven't been able to get there.

I would REALLY like to be able to walk from my place in NW Portland (which is a block from the Mission theater) to fly. There are some truck terminals and freighting companies with large parking lots nort of my place that I need to check out too. Of course there will probably be a problem with flying on privae property or some such thing . . . .

Thanks for the info on Broughton beach too.

• 6 months later...

Winds were fairly light, but we ran into 3/4 of the old Cyborg crew (it was Thursday after all)... Ran the Dream Ticket through it's paces a bit, even managed to get the kite to roll up - just couldn't keep it there.

EVERYONE: Weather permitting, we'll be at West Delta Park tomorrow from around 12pm to 5pm... If you take the "Expo Center" MAX line, it lets you off all of 800 feet from the field (you can see the kites as you pull up).

• 3 months later...