KiteLife Forum

Beginner Rev Question

Syruss

Keep in mind I am a beginner here and haven't had almost any instruction from anyone that knows how to fly a rev.

With that being said:

Tonight when I got home the wind was fairly descent so I got out my Rev I with the new 3 wrap rods in it (I didn't think it was quite enough to have the bigger rods) and started flying.

I did good and got a lot of practice but I did notice one thing that bothered me and messed up my flying. I think it has to do with where the lines are attached to the handles.

Every once in a while I would be flying forward and and put on the brakes. Occaisionally one side of the wing or the other would come towards me and basically flip up. More often than not while the kite was playing "let crash on Syruss" I was able to recover before crashing, but sometimes it did several spins out of control and then I had to work to untwist the kite in the air.

I am wondering if my lines (either on the top or the bottom) of the handles are either too loose, or too tight. I did add another knot in my lower line effectively shortening the lower lines probably 2 1/2" or so. I am not really sure it made a whole lot of difference and since I was having so much fun and was able to recover it I thought I would just fly as is and wait to ask you pro's

Also another question, how the heck do you guys make flying the rev inverted look so easy. I was able to invert it and control a dive and stall the kite somewhat and launch upside down, but most of my attempts to fly reversed (tips going forward) didn't work to well though I didn't crash so I must be getting better.

Thanks in advance.

p.s. Can't wait till tomorrow to get my Rev. B :)

I am by NO means what I would call an experienced flyer. However this situation happens to me.

I think you might be applying too much brake. Letting the wind "catch" the back of the kite thus flipping it forward. Either by the way your lines are adjusted of by the fact that they are not equal in length.

This is actually the start of a flik flack I believe, however only one wing is flicking thus sometimes ending in a spin.

I mostly happens to me when I am applying the brakes quickly (in a bit of a panic as something might not be happening that I want to happen) and the wing just flips over. I mostly fly in gusty wind and that seems to make the situation worse.

As for flying bacwards, OK I can sort of do that. Inverted hover though, black art or what!!!

Only one answer, practice, practice, practice. Then more practice.

For example. Imagine how much practice JB has put in to get where he is. Then just think how much practice he needs to keep where he is!!!!

Yuo will LOVE the B when it arrives. Let us know how you get on.

The wing flip is very common, perhaps universal, among beginners. As Baloo says, it comes from over control. Think smaller movements. When flying in reverse you can't go very fast and when you are starting to learn it, go very slow. Start by practicing with gravity on your side. Fly up to the top of the window and reverse back down to the ground, leading edge facing up.

The inverted hover is an advanced move and just takes time to learn. Start with the kite upside down on the ground and reverse up and hover a few feet off the ground. Measure your progress in seconds. Your first try may only last a second. Then you'll graduate to 3 seconds. Pat yourself on the back when you can hold it for 5 seconds. Then, one day, something will just "click" and you'll have it.

Have fun, there's always new stuff to learn and keep things interesting.

Syruss,

I thought oh good someone I can help but alas Mike and Baloo, both nailed it. All I can add is practice. When you fly for fun, have fun, but when you go out to practice and least half should be inverted flying. I have several 1.5s and a Rev1 and they invert about the same so you should have no problem transferring what you have learned to the new B.

Tips by the others are all correct. Wing flips will also be more common and apt to happen when you are at the very edges of the window.

By inverted flight, I take it you mean reverse flight where your bottom tips are pointed in the direction you are flying. This will just take practice, practice, practice. Also it will be much easier initially if you are flying from the edges of the window toward the center. From the center to the edges is very doable but is much more difficult to start with.

I've met several kite flyers from Medford this year. Seems like you ought to find each other.

Yup, overcontrol. Take a look at your handle when you go into that quick reverse. If the front of your handle is down, and the back of your handle is up-almost even, then the kite has to be that way! So now you are just short of laying your kite down.

The overcontrol on a reverse down is easy especially on the edge of the window, as they said, or in lighter winds.

Yup, softer, smaller movements. Lean forward and let the air catch the tip and paste it back on the sky window.

Learning to balance inverted is a summer job. :)

Have fun practicing.

BB

Penny

I've met several kite flyers from Medford this year. Seems like you ought to find each other.

Yup, overcontrol. Take a look at your handle when you go into that quick reverse. If the front of your handle is down, and the back of your handle is up-almost even, then the kite has to be that way! So now you are just short of laying your kite down.

The overcontrol on a reverse down is easy especially on the edge of the window, as they said, or in lighter winds.

Yup, softer, smaller movements. Lean forward and let the air catch the tip and paste it back on the sky window.

Learning to balance inverted is a summer job. :)

Have fun practicing.

BB

Penny

There are a few here but I think they only show up at the festivals and fun fly's. Nathan is in Ashland so bit far to run after work and before dinner.

One more questions how do longer lines affect flight? It would seem the kite would be less flighty with longer lines? Is this true?

Penny you are an expert on perty. Some of the videos I have seen of you, you REALY do some perty things. And so much fun too.

Longer lines, yep slow things down. also heavier lines slow things down some more.

Best thing about them BIGGER wind window. So from top to bottom of window or tother way round you can do more turns and tricks B4 you hit the ground. Same for side to side. If you can fly backwards from one side to the other on 120 foot lines you are starting to get the hang of it.

And that dive stop with the height you can get wil get some looks. As long as you stop B4 you hit the ground of course. Not always according to plan on that one with me yet.

Awesome I just lucked out! I went home for lunch hoping my new B-Series would be there, but it wasn't. So on the way out of our subdivision I saw the UPS truck out of the corner of my eye and then followed him to his next stop. I asked if he had anything for me and sure enough, he did.

So I waited till I got back to work to open it. What a cool kite. I didn't realize that it had the iquad logo on it too, that's cool. Though it should have the website also, but hey I am a web developer and I notice these things more than others.

Can't wait to get home and try it!

yeah basically you are gong to love your new rev, congrats! what color are you getting? :confused!:

I got it in Purple! I even got to fly it for a few minutes last night before the wind died. Hopefully today I will get out of work a little earlier and be able to fly it a bit more on the longer lines I got.

I thought the lines I had for my Rev1 were #90 x 85 but it is #150 x 85 so in light winds that might be a bit heavier than I want. I do have #90 x 100 which I will try tonight. I know I need to get 120, but even the 100 just barely will fit in my flying area so I figured if I was only going to order one set of line I wanted the best I could get for where I mostly get to fly.

In the little flying I did though I really liked the kite. It was more reactive to my efforts than the revI was. I also had an easier time flying in reverse in positions other than taking off inverted. Then just when it got really fun, the wind totally pooped out.

I didn't want to put in the 2-wraps as I am still learning and wouldn't want to break them before I got more used to the kite.

Penny you are an expert on perty. Some of the videos I have seen of you, you REALY do some perty things. And so much fun too.

Thank you Baloo, wish John would find time to add my mystery ballet to the video's. It's my favorite so far.. Usually I don't like to watch video of myself, but I look at this one and think about how far I've come from just thinking, "Please stay up, please stay up."

Syruss, great choice the purple and black. Now you have 100 ft. of lines. For a beginner 75-80 ft. will give you a better wind window. You won't have as much lag in the lines, better reaction time and control. Don't do it now.. Check out your lines and area. Later you will have a choice. Keep the 100 ft. or cut them down and make some short lines, too.

Enjoy! Throw a kite festival. We're all looking for a reason to go to Medford... in the summer time. :)

BB Penny

Thank you Baloo, wish John would find time to add my mystery ballet to the video's. It's my favorite so far.. Usually I don't like to watch video of myself, but I look at this one and think about how far I've come from just thinking, "Please stay up, please stay up."

Syruss, great choice the purple and black. Now you have 100 ft. of lines. For a beginner 75-80 ft. will give you a better wind window. You won't have as much lag in the lines, better reaction time and control. Don't do it now.. Check out your lines and area. Later you will have a choice. Keep the 100 ft. or cut them down and make some short lines, too.

Enjoy! Throw a kite festival. We're all looking for a reason to go to Medford... in the summer time. :)

BB Penny

Not much here in medford, it is much better over in Brookings or Crescent city as the odds of wind are in our favor. But hey if you guys all want to come down and show off I would be more than glad to see what I could work out. Since I work for the newspaper both here and in Ashland we might be able to get something set up. Ashland would be the better choice because it has better wind. Nathan Ostavar and his dad live in Ashland also and they would know where to fly.

I am sure I could talk the Tidings paper into taking some pictures for a photo gallery and even some video footage if we wanted.

Bring JB down here too so he can sign my Rev on one side and you sign it on the other and it'd be a collectible :)

Hope you get more time with your B today. As Penny says 120 are possibly not the best first time out.

You dont NEED 120's unless you want to team fly.

What you NEED are the right length lines for you.

In a brisk wind the 150's will be fine. The lines MUST fit in your flying area obviously. Longer lines WILL give you a bigger window.

Lets face it ANY length lines will give you FUN++++++++++++++

I have just bought some bulk 150 and 90 (couldnt get LPG unfortunatly), guess what I am going to be doing!!

yeah basically you are gong to love your new rev, congrats! what color are you getting? :confused!:

I got it in Purple! I even got to fly it for a few minutes last night before the wind died. Hopefully today I will get out of work a little earlier and be able to fly it a bit more on the longer lines I got.

I thought the lines I had for my Rev1 were #90 x 85 but it is #150 x 85 so in light winds that might be a bit heavier than I want. I do have #90 x 100 which I will try tonight. I know I need to get 120, but even the 100 just barely will fit in my flying area so I figured if I was only going to order one set of line I wanted the best I could get for where I mostly get to fly.

In the little flying I did though I really liked the kite. It was more reactive to my efforts than the revI was. I also had an easier time flying in reverse in positions other than taking off inverted. Then just when it got really fun, the wind totally pooped out.

I didn't want to put in the 2-wraps as I am still learning and wouldn't want to break them before I got more used to the kite.

yeah, i doubt youll break the 2 wraps in anything under 11 mph wind, ive flown them in about 13, though i wouldnt push it more than that, my b series is my baby! easily my fav. kite congrats man!

-c :)

I spent a night in Medford 6 years ago-due to snow. It would be a good place to have an indoor fly too. Oh, and Ashland sounds wonderful. My folks are headed to their Condo down there in the next couple of weeks. I haven't been there since high school. I'd be up for a kite festival and a Shakespeare play on the side. :)

BB Penny

Anytime you want to come down just let us know and we'll see what we can do for you. We do have a community center that has a nice gym in it that would probably be available anytime and I could see about promoting it, or just inviting people!

I might even get good enough to fly with ya LOL!

Yesterday was my best day ever, I got off early and the wind was awesome (2 days in a row, I could get use to this)

I flew steady for 2 hours. I even had a challenge. They were mowing the lawn of the park so I had to avoid their staff as well as a few others in the park.

When they were in the way I was practicing hovering. With watching the Rev-B video it REALLY helped. In strong winds I could hover fairly decently on the edge of the window as well as in the middle. I was also able to hover at 90 degrees for a bit, stand the kite on a wingpoint for as long as I wanted.

I even managed to fly inverted they way I wanted and float across the window a bit. All in all I have probably 6-8 hours of flight time on a quad line so I think it has gone pretty good.

One thing for sure I am hooked! I need my new bumper sticker:

Kiting: Addiction for the Good Crowd

It's downright addictive. The Rev-B really flys awesome too. I was over at the coast on a job interview today so I never got to fly and didn't take my kite cause I knew I wouldn't have time to fly, but I am hoping tomorrow I will. Maybe I will even have my wife shoot some video.

Signed,

Kite Addicted in Medford

Once, A lady told me she didn't like the words "Eye Candy" for kites. The drug connotation's probably hit a nerve with her.

There should be a hidden place on the internet, where they coud put all the bad kite puns we could think of and we could go see them, without public display. I don't mean your's, I've heard others. Some good, some bad. Iwent to the fair with the kids yesterday.. collections are still on my mind.

BB

Penny