KiteLife Forum

Kite Stakes

kitedog

John B. or anyone else who might have an idea or answer.

John at WSIKF I noticed iQuad had golfball kite stakes. On the balls it had iQuad printed on them. Where did you have these stakes made?

Better yet anyone know how to make them? Or have an easy process for making them?

I have a kite stake with a neon yellow/green haired troll. O, and it is nekked. The rod is solid fiberglass, I think. I would like to make some more. I just need to find some nekked trolls with bright hair. But I would also like to make some with golfballs and put my own decals on them.

Thanks in advance,

Arns

Antman,

What type of glue / epoxy did you use? The reason I ask is I have noticed some glues / epoxy become brittle when they dry. I am looking for something that will stand the test of time.

Baloo,

Is the rubber duck filled with plastic or acrylic? What makes it keep its shape?

Arns

i used krazy glue gel its really strong and has worked great for me .. its only $3 a tube but youll have to let it harden overnight but once you let it seal it will never come loose so make sure you use a ball you want because their is no second chance with that stuff .. also wear latex gloves so you dont get your fingers caught as that can happen .. you can get the glue in any hardware store

Kite Slinger,

WOW!! Those are to much fun.

Are they stick shifter handles? Or did you make them yourself?

BTW, what do you mean by "taped"? Any problems with the aluminum rods? Do they bend if you push them into hard ground?

Mouse,

Yours are fun too. Did you use polymer clay? How are they holding up?

Do both of you also use super glue?

Sorry for all the questions. I don't want to learn by trial and error. Prefer to gather the info before starting on this project.

arns

Kite Slinger,

WOW!! Those are to much fun.

Are they stick shifter handles? Or did you make them yourself?

BTW, what do you mean by "taped"? Any problems with the aluminum rods? Do they bend if you push them into hard ground?

Mouse,

Yours are fun too. Did you use polymer clay? How are they holding up?

Do both of you also use super glue?

Sorry for all the questions. I don't want to learn by trial and error. Prefer to gather the info before starting on this project.

arns

I used Fimo brand clay and built em right on the stake itself, so they are not glued on. I wanted to know what kite slinger is using also.. those are really wild.. I just like working with clay, so it was just a good way to relax.

They are holding up well, but I am not too certain you could push them into hard ground very deep because they are clay.. Not certain, but as far as the beach goes.. you dont have to push em hard to set them . Still experimenting .. any ideas welcome.

hugs mouse

Taped as in I thread the rods 1/2 to 3/4 depends on the depth of the heads

the heads some are resin and I drill that out as the same size so the rods have a tight fit and or add some JB weld so you won't loose your head

then fine point the tips like a bullet once again up to 1" or if I really want to 2" so that's 3/8ths to zero is quite a deadly tip

then polish the t6061 rod to a fine mirror finish.

Then other Gun cylinders are milled in the same T6061 as spec. to the real ruger blackhawk, 45, 357 etc. except these have a sealed bearing with a threaded race to except the rod and the head spins in either direction

i don't make the heads themselves just put the two together

the James Hatfield {MATELICA} design "scary guy" will set you back 300.00 if your lucky {and know were to find them} up to 800.00 for a autograph head.

the others work from 50.00 to a 100.00 bucks[retail] just for the head and higher for limited runs

but having everything kustom from your kitestake, handles and your kite is priceless

most of the ones I did I give away as prizes ,awards and as gifts

I have other ones but are to naughty to list

Hey Dave,

I'd recognize those stakes anywhere! Way kewl and I followed the link to your pics. Wish I could spend more time there, but I've got paws to wash. I'll get back to it. See you in Santa Cruz?

Tell Claudia Steve and I said hello.

BB Penny Rev on~ Buggy on~ Fly on~

When I grow up I want to fly like Dave Sabalino ~ ;)

I had to update my kite stakes a bit recently. I had aluminum rods with Golf Balls, but the aluminum was to easy to bend. So I went to a hardware store and got me 2 pieces of the threaded 1/4 inch steel. I screwed the golf balls on the top and presto, instant strong durable kite stakes. I am looking for some better toppers than golf balls, but I got them for $.99 each and the rods were $1.86 each so for under 3 dollars it is a great deal. They are 18 inches long and line doesn't slip around them easily either!

• 8 months later...

Ok silly question, y'all... What are you using for the stake portion and how long should they be???

I have some ideas in mind for making my own stake(s), but I'm not sure what to use or where to look for it. :?

I use 5/16th stainless steel. A little more expensive ($5.50 a ft.).

For your drill press, clamp a thick board down and drill an 1 1/4 hole with a wide blade, then replace with a 5/16th bit. the hole in the board is now centered, put the golf ball in it and hit center everytime.

Rx

If you like the funky heads like Kiteslinger uses for his stakes...check out this site to order them. But, like he says...they are not cheap. They are however used as shift knobs and are ready to mount with the right threaded stake!

Gotta love Big Daddy Roth and the RATFINK influence!!

http://www.ratfink.org/shifter_knobs/index.html

Good luck,

Patrick

;)

I use 5/16th stainless steel. A little more expensive ($5.50 a ft.).

For your drill press, clamp a thick board down and drill an 1 1/4 hole with a wide blade, then replace with a 5/16th bit. the hole in the board is now centered, put the golf ball in it and hit center everytime.

Rx

Ahhhh Thanks! This is on the right track. I have an idea for making the stake heads, I just needed to know what to use for the stake itself. ;)

If you like the funky heads like Kiteslinger uses for his stakes...check out this site to order them. But, like he says...they are not cheap. They are however used as shift knobs and are ready to mount with the right threaded stake!

Gotta love Big Daddy Roth and the RATFINK influence!!

http://www.ratfink.org/shifter_knobs/index.html

Good luck,

Patrick

;)

Oh Yeahhhh, those Totally Rock! I've been liking those for ages! Sadly I'm looking for a homegrown solution atm! :?

mine are 13 inches that works for both hard and soft ground

What are the stakes themselves made of? Drill Shafts, huge nails?, tent stakes??? Inquiring minds want to know! :?

aero...

hardware stores like home depot has round stock in metal. alum. brass and copper and I keep the shafts at 12 inches... alum is nice to work with and keeps the weight down... on soft metal like brass I like to keep as short as I can 8" to 10" to keep it stiff any longer than that tends to bend 1/4 brass