KiteLife Forum

I need Whidbey Island Info

kitedog

I plan on going to Whidbey Island 22-23 Sept 2007. I need some info.

I plan on tent camping if I stay over night. What would be a good place to pitch a tent? Bathroom and hot shower facilities are always nice.

What is the best/easiest way to get there? I see to areas for ferry crossings Mukileto/Clinton Crossing and Port Townsend/Keystone. The other way is up to Mt Vernon and then cross over.

Thanks

Arns

Tristan,

Hope to see you there. I watched you do some indoor and outdoor flying at WSIKF. Awesome performances.

John,

I had the Whidbey site but thanks for posting it. I am trying to find out where most fliers stay and the best option for traveling.

Thanks

Arns

There's tent camping available at around $20/night at Camp Casey. Contact Marjorie through the link John posted to see if any sites are still available. There is also some tent camping nearby with no facilities @ $10/night, but I can't tell you the name of that place--we could find it once you get up to Whidbey.

As for travel, my own preference is to come up the West side of the Sound past Bremerton, and take the Port Townsend ferry. That's about $16 per crossing for a car. Be aware, Bud recently posted that ferries will be even more crowded than usual, as they have one down for repairs. The other options are to go up through Seattle to Mukilteo, or drive around through Anacortes.

Hope you make it--Whidbey's a great festival.

Doug L.

I believe it's already past the cut-off to reserve a spot at Camp Casey - details are at the bottom of the "Accomodations" page on the Whidbey site.

There's a couple of state parks relatively close. I believe the closest are both first-come, first-served though. I haven't stayed in either, but they're state parks so how bad can they be?

Your best route depends on where you're coming from. As Doug mentioned, there's limited ferries from Pt Townsend, and they've been known to cancel boats at low tide as well.

The Mukilteo/Clinton ferry isn't bad during Friday. We've driven right on a couple of times, and only had to wait 15-20 minutes a couple of other times. Might be more busy Saturday morning. Driving around probably adds an hour or so to your trip. I know the ferry is expensive if you're towing. We took a fairly long truck/trailer combo one year, and I think it cost us something like $85.00

EBGB,

I didn't think to look for the local state parks. We have used a number of state parks in WA and they are all great.

We will, more than likely, leave early Saturday morning. I-5N to Mukilteo take the ferry to Clinton (I found the ferry times and prices at www.wsdot.wa.gov/ferries/ ). Then to Fort Casey for the kite festival.

For camping we will play it by ear. Possibilites are Fort Casey, Fort Ebey or South Whidbey state parks. We may even drive home that night depending on the weather.

I forgot to ask in the original post but I LOVE FOOD any and all food. Are there any must stop places to eat at on Whidbey Island. One of the things we like to eat is clam chowder. But the suggestions do not have to be about clam chowder - mexican, american, asian, italian, seafood, turf - it is all good. The best suggestions would be something you would travel to Whidbey Island to eat or when you are at Whidbey a place you are sure to stop.

Arns

Fort Casey State Park is almost right at the festival site, but it's pretty "exposed".

Food? You got me. They only place we've ever eaten is at the Tyee Hotel. Nice atmosphere. Decent food.

You know that the festival includes a banquet Saturday night?