KiteLife Forum

Best Dual line combination Precision/Trick Kite

kitedog

In your opinion what is the best dual line combination precision/trick kite out there?

What are the good and bad points?

The reason for this question is I am looking for a new dual line kite, possibly to fly as a team with my daughter or just for fun (always for fun ;) ).

I would like a kite that tricks easily but also tracks well with spot on turns in other words the best of both worlds.

Kites I am looking at:

Fearless and Sea Devil by Sky Sport Design/Lam Hoac I have seen these kites and man do I love the graphics. I have also watched a number of kiters out there do some amazing things on these kites.

Evo by Level One

STX 2.1 or 2.3 by Cavaliers du Ciel

Quantum Pro by Prism I own a couple of Prism kites and love the build quality. One of the oldest dual lines I have is the Illusion.

Nirvana by R Sky

This list is not inclusive all suggestions would be helpful.

Arns

Not got or tried any of the others but I do have a Sea Devil.

Not much good with it but it is good with me if you can see what I mean.

I LOVE that kite. You really wont go wrong with one.

To top it off Lam is a fantastic chap and is very enthusiastic and helpfull. He will help you fly it if he gets a chance.

Get in touch with Lam. Tell hin Baloo sent you. You wont get any discount but it will put a smile on his face. I am SO lucky as I won mine in a raffle.

You asked for my opinion, so here it is! :crazy:

Out of the selections you posted I would recommend the Quantum Pro over all the others. Although the Quantum Pro is more than capable of doing nearly every trick, it is probably the best for flying team with your daughter. The Quantum Pro tracks a lot better than the others mentioned like the Nirvana and Sea Devil which are designed more for tricking than tracking. The STX is also an awesome kite, but for team and tracking the larger sail in the Pro would still be the better choice. I have only had a minute or two on the Evo, so can't really comment on that one.

Any of the kites you mentioned would be welcomed in anyone's bag, all are some of the top kites in the industry. :crazy:

As for other kites you didn't mention, you might want to look at the new Widow Maker from Sky Burner Kites. I have heard others comment that this kite is like a Quantum Pro and a Deep Space meshed into one awesome machine. It tracks excellent with sharp turns and tricks are awesome. This is the first kite that I have been able to pull off consecutive JL's and I even managed a triple JL the other day. Roll-ups are easy and controllable. It has become my favorite kite thus far.

Hope that helps.....good luck with your search.

Thanks Kent.

That is the type of advice I am looking for. I am more interested in team flying vs solo tricking. But I would still like a kite that tricks easily.

I was reading at GWTW and saw this video. These kites look awesome and the fliers make them sing. WOW.

Cosmic TC Vented. Any advice on how well they track?

Kitehouse Cosmic TC

I own a couple of Quantum Pro standards and think they would suit your purposes well. I've flown the Evo a bunch but its the only other one on your list I have experience with. John's right, it takes work to fly the QP standard in light wind. It tracks well and responds solidly and consistently to inputs, in tricking or flying figures. It does pitch based tricks well but doesn't give them up easily to sloppy inputs. A bit of weight in the tail (couple of quarters in the velcro) helps a lot in this regard.

I got a chance to fly the Sea Devil and Fearless at Whidbey Island. Lam Hoac was there and gave my daughter and I some quick lessons and turned us loose on the kites.

THANKS LAM!!

Both kites were very responsive. Flew well in the light winds. Tracked well and for the folks who could trick them they were amazing (both the kite and the flyer).

Something I don't think a lot of us think about is the amount of pull the kite has while you are flying it, maybe it is just me ;) . If the kite is a good strong puller it is difficult to control and yanks you around while you are trying to perform. To little pull and it feels like you have nothing at the end of your strings. I spoke to Lam and he stated the amount of pull from the kite was a design factor. Aurora, 10 y/o about 80 lbs if that much, did not have to struggle to fly these kites.

The other great thing was the wind range on the Light Sea Devil or Light Fearless. From whisper of a breeze or zero on up to (I am not sure what the upper limit is). My point is one kite that covers a decent amount of wind options. This decreases your investment on day one and you can wait a while for the standard, ultra light and super ultra light and vented versions. Although for the serious competitors they have one of each in their quiver.

I found the Fearless a little more laid back. It tricks as well as the Sea Devil but you have to slow down the inputs to the kite just a bit. Your hands input the directions and the kite moves into the trick very gracefully. It is not in a rush but its not slow either. I think the Fearless tracked just a little better.

The Sea Devil was a bit quicker. Input and BAM it is doing the trick. Input BAM, right on the money.

Maybe a better analogy would be a skateboarder and a ballerina. Both are agile, do many tricks, are amazing to watch, and graceful in their own way. Its all about your style.

Majority of the kites flown in the compitetion, singles, pairs, ballet, hot tricks, etc., were Sea Devils. Maybe 2 to 1 in favor of the Sea Devil. The only other kites I recognized were the Quantum Pros and I think someone was flying a Silver Fox. A couple of competitors were flying Fearless on the side lines but did not use this kite to compete.

In my untalented hands I like the Sea Devil and Rory likes the Fearless.

Both are amazing kites made by an amazing flyer.

Please continue to post any thoughts and options, we are still looking at kites.

Thanks Kent, John and Dave for your input.

And again thanks to Lam for spending the time with us. Nothing like someone you admire helping you out. Its like having Tiger Woods coming over and helping you out with your golf swing. (This goes out to you also John B.)

Arns

BTW if anyone suggests quad line, we are hooked on those already. We already have a full arsenal of Revs :) in our bags.

• 2 weeks later...