KiteLife Forum

Nexus or Pyro? Or something else?

jvw97

Hi all, new member here! New pilot too. The E2 was recommended as a great kite to start with because it's a kite that can "grow" with you and do all the tricks and everything. And I found a good deal on one at my local store. It's a great kite, I really like it, the problem is being a new pilot I crash quite frequently and the E2 has turned out to be kind of fragile. I've had to replace all 4 leading edge pieces and with those HotRodz spars, it's getting a bit expensive. So I've decided to switch over to a stronger, solid frame "beginners" kite until I'm not crashing so much. I'm looking for suggestions on a good strong kite. I'm considering the Nexus and the Pyro but I'm open to other suggestions. Like I said I need something strong, but I'm also looking for something that will fly well in fairly light winds. Here in New York City there's precious few spots to find good wind. Anyway, thanks for any help!

• 2 weeks later...

The Flying Wings Beetle is inexpensive and nearly indestructable. Excellent kite for anyone wanting to learn to fly dual line kites. It won't do some of the more complex stunts and tricks but will do a good portion of them. I would suggest purchasing a Beetle to learn to fly and do some of the basic stunts (stalls, landings, axles) and when you get totally comfortable with the flying characteristics of the Beetle, move up to your E2 and go for it. The Beetle will also be around for anyone else to learn on that may come with you (friends, neighbors, children, etc...) As for the winds in your area, make sure your bridles are adjusted properly for your wind conditions and your learning curve will be easier. Proper adjustment of your bridle will make nearly any wind useable.

Another kite to consider would be the Premier Addiction. Not as quite as indestructable as the Beetle but can take some very sirious abuse without breaking. The Addiction is an excellent kite that can do a ton of stunts. It flies a bit smoother and has more slack line control than the Beetle. Either one of these kites can usually be purchased with lines and straps, ready-to-fly for under $60.00.

• 2 months later...
The Flying Wings Beetle is inexpensive and nearly indestructable.  Excellent kite for anyone wanting to learn to fly dual line kites. 

Another kite to consider would be the Premier Addiction.

My only beef with these kites is the size. Small kites are hard to learn on. they are twitchy and the beetle (even if it is nearly impossible to break) does not like wind over about 7- 8 mph. Any more than that and it flexes unless you add the high wind extras.

A nice full size kite (7 -8ft) with carbon tubes (not hot rods) will work better. A broken stick is under $5 to replace.

Go to your local kite store and find a kite that is suitable for a beginner but you won't outgrow in a month :unsure:

Well, i would suggest the HQ Phoenix...its a large 87" kite that comes with dvd, wind breaker, 150lb x 80ft lines w/ straps,...also, sail made of ventrex with 6mm carbon frame...and, reinforced spine, yoyo stoppers, add on weights,etc...this kite uses high quality material and fine workmanship ...the kite perfoms precision and tricks well...the best part is the Phoenix can be purchased for as little as $89....A truly outstanding value. :unsure:

Kram...Sometimes when i fly, i go APE ( A Prism Enthusiast)

post-10-1095139608.jpg

• 1 month later...

havent been flyin kites that long but already have many kites and am doing a few stunts, "being into model airplanes for 35 yrs " Im aware of wind behaviors etc... anyway, if ya dont like breaking kites ya might wanna try the alpha + I believe the leading edge comes apart when the ground jumps up at ya, other than that it seems to like a strong wind and handles fairly well, just my 2 cents worth