KiteLife Forum

Looking for good, trickable, low cost dual

kitetime

Hi,

This is my first post, but I have been reading for the past few days. Anyway, I flew a cheap stunt kite a couple of weeks ago and well, it wasn't fun. First of all even though there was a constant breeze, the kite would not stay up without a fight. So I want to try again with a better kite. But since I don't know how much I will enjoy or even do this sport, I don't want to spend much. Also this one kite may be the only kite I ever buy, so I want versatile. By versatile, I mean can handle from low to high winds, and although a beginner/easy kite to fly I still want something trickable so I can grow with it. Most important I think it should be fun. And if it is easy to fly, maybe my wife will join me.

OK, so looking at John's videos I know I want to start with a dual line. I think two good kites to start with would be the Cherry Bomb and the Beetle. I like the idea of the Cherry Bomb being a complete kit with winders and all. And the Cherry bomb is $40. The Beetle needs some accessories and it looks like a complete starting kit would be $65. So for anyone that has them both, is one much better then the other for me?

$65 is really more then I would like to spend, it would be a stretch and need a good reason to stretch. So is there anything else I should look at? What about the Calyspo for $20?

If you have expieriance with kites in this range let me know, good, bad, or so-so.

Any info helps

Thanks

Keith

The Quantum at $80 is really more then I really want to go. In fact it is high enough that I don't see me doing it. The Nexus at $65 is better but still high. 3-25mph wind range looks good. And it is fast which is cool. It folds to a small package which I don't really need, and I don't need to pay more for if I am. Complete kit is nice. Is this better then a Cherry bomb? I guess I don 't know many things to look for so i don't know why this would be worth the extra money.

Thanks for the help. We all started some place right? :blink:

Hey KT...

I have the Cherry Bomb and the Quantum. The Quantum is a great kite if you were only going to have one kite. The only reason I have a Cherry Bomb is that I got a good deal on it. I figured I would keep it for a loaner kite. I have other New Tech kites, and they do offer alot of Bang for the Buck. The only problem I have with them is that they are easy to break. They fly GREAT when they're in one piece. New Tech is very responsive to customer support e-mails, and they sent me new replacement parts on two separate occasions, no questions asked. I have the Pyro, Big Bang, and Firestorm that I love to fly, and did my first tricks on them.

The Prism kites that I have (Mirage and Quantum) are VERY hard to break, and fly in a wide range of conditions, well over their advertised ratings. Once again, very durable. I would recommend the Quantum over the Nexus only because it's bigger. 7' to 8' is an excellent size for a two liner. You can find Quantums on eBay for $70 or less. I paid less than $50 for mine...

~Rob.

Thanks Rob, the comment about being harder to break and if you could have only one, are very useful. The flying in a wider range of wind conditions is helpful too. As I understand it the bigger the kite the slower it is to respond and the easier it is to control because of that.

OK, the two of you have me leaning towards the Quantum, that is if I can find a price around $65. (My wife will kill me.)

I have one concern with the quantum, I will be taking it to the Southern California Beach some days and wonder if the wind is really kicking if this big kite will have too much pull for me and it will be a fight? Fighting the pull doesn't sound like fun. Is this a reasonable concern or on the other hand does this kite do better in strong wind then others?

Thanks for sharing your experiance. :)

Hey KT...

Just yesterday I flew the Mirage/Hypnotist in a choppy wind that was gusting to 20+mph. I got the Prism kite out after my Acrobatx kite snapped in half after 2 minutes of flight. There were no issues with getting dragged down the beach, you just have to set your stance and lean back a little. It's actually quite a rush. If you hang out on the edge of the wind, it's effortless, and then when you take a cut across the wind, it goes supersonic and makes alot of fun noise. There are ways to adjust the kite so it doesn't pull too hard in a strong wind, but I was flying using the factory setting, and it was certainly not a fight, even in that wind.

I have never broken the Prism kite in the air, the only time it broke, I was trying to do a ground recovery. If you're heading for a windy place, I would only consider the Prism kites. I've had 3 of my New Tech kites implode in mid-air, as well as my Acrobatx (yesterday was the 3rd time), due to too much wind.

There are some days that you just shouldn't fly, at least not a kite with spars. That's when you get out a foil and go for a drag. Getting pulled and lifted is fun, not something to avoid.

~Rob.

Thanks Rob, OK so the pull should be fine. Interesting you mentioned the Acrobatx breaking, as it is highly recommended and I had briefly thought about it.

I found the Prism Quantum on eBay for $70 plus $10 shipping, on the wild internet I can find it for $79 with free shipping. So either way it looks like $80. In fact the price on it seems heavily controlled as there was not much variation. The price looks like a brick wall.

Hey KT...

Don't get me wrong, the Acrobatx is an excellent kite... in the right wind. Too high, too low, it's not a happy kite. It's too heavy to be fun in low wind, and the whole breaking in half thing when the wind's up around 20mph...

Spending an extra $20 or $30 up front will prove more than worth it in the long run. You'll save $$$ on replacement parts, time, and aggravation. If you break a spar in the kite, it costs $5-$15 for the replacement piece, and around 1/2 hour for the repair.

I haven't flown a kite I couldn't break. Even kites that are extremely durable never claim to be entirely indestructible, just virtually indestructible. The strongest, most durable kites I have flown are the Prism kites, hands down.

~Rob.

Hey KT...

Don't get me wrong, the Acrobatx is an excellent kite... in the right wind. Too high, too low, it's not a happy kite. It's too heavy to be fun in low wind, and the whole breaking in half thing when the wind's up around 20mph...

Spending an extra $20 or $30 up front will prove more than worth it in the long run. You'll save $$$ on replacement parts, time, and aggravation. If you break a spar in the kite, it costs $5-$15 for the replacement piece, and around 1/2 hour for the repair.

I haven't flown a kite I couldn't break. Even kites that are extremely durable never claim to be entirely indestructible, just virtually indestructible. The strongest, most durable kites I have flown are the Prism kites, hands down.

~Rob.

Hey KT...

~Rob.

Gday Kiteguy! Here's my answer to your problem. You get what you pay for! I found out this is very true. However, you will find that once you are into flying you " WILL" be hooked! I started the same way. I wanted to fly without spending too much, then after getting my first kite I wanted a better one, (I shouldn't have watched all those videos). So, after getting a better one, better one ,better one.etc 15 more times, I now own 18 kites! (two are quads) By the way I didn't start till May of this year! In summing up, you might talk your wife into getting a second or third job so you can go "Kite Crazy" . It will happen...

your best bet is eBay watch for the kites that you think you would like make sure that it comes complete with handles and lines .My top recommendations would be a prism made kite they are extremely durable and have seen me through a lot of newbie crashes.I have other makes but all of them have had to be repaired I started with a detonator it is limited and you will out grow it very fast .Then I got a Nexus witch I still enjoy flying it handles the high winds well and dose not pull me around to much and I love to hear it sing in the wind .good luck on eBay. Fall Winds Rock :)

Well, over the weekend a friend passed away. I decided to order the Prism Quantum kite, and rename the kite after him and remember him that way. He was always a free spirit who traveled with the wind. I don't know, it just seemed right...

Hey KT....

So sorry to hear of your loss. I hope that flying your kite will bring back good memories of your friend, keep your life full, and help you to keep those memories close. I know you won't be disappointed with your choice, and it will serve you well in all conditions.

Take care...

~Rob.