KiteLife Forum

tail for kite

djinnz free

hi! i'm looking for a tail for my kite!

searching 15 or 20 foot section... so depend the wind condition could ride with two three or four section!

what did you recommand? tube style or flat style?

wich ø for the tube style is better?

how did you know the max lenght the tail could be?

the kite will be a flying wings silverfox2.5.

is there a kind of ratio between tail & line lenght?

thanks,

hi! i'm looking for a tail for my kite!

searching 15 or 20 foot section... so depend the wind condition could ride with two three or four section!

what did you recommand? tube style or flat style?

wich ø for the tube style is better?

how did you know the max lenght the tail could be?

the kite will be a flying wings silverfox2.5.

is there a kind of ratio between tail & line lenght?

thanks,

Tails are good for slowing kite down on a windy day, plus fun to do figure eights and corkscrews and infinty loops!! :revonhead:

If its not that windy try a flat tail- they don't slow the kite down as much as a tube/tail in any case i's go with a 100' tail

I did the five section tail thing. didn't like it. ended up buying a flat/tail to color match a couple of my kites.

So if your interested in taking my huge tail off my hands- its two 25' black/white tube tails, two more black/white tubes but the srtiping is a little longer, then a red/white/blue tube. All in all 100' + in tube tailage. Lemme know. i bought Premier, and Gomberg and NewTech tails if memory serves.

PS on the beach be carfule with your tubes cuz they'll pick up sand!!! :)

• 2 weeks later...

humm Browndude3649 about your experience it's better a flat tail? than a tube style?

i recently bought a FlyingWing SilverFox 2.5 std to use it as carrier... for a tail

if i bought a flat tail how long could it be?

Gomberg offer 24, 48, 96 foot flat

or 55 tube as snake tail...

thanks for your help!

It pretty much depends on the wind you are going to be flying in. Tails add a lot of weight and drag to the kite. Tube tails add more drag than flat "ribbon" tails. In the stronger winds tube tails are no problem and should work in lengths up to about 50 ft or so (depending on the diameter of the tail). Flat transition tails should be no problem at all up to the 96' mark in the stronger winds but you will probably have to go smaller or take the tail off if you want to fly in the lighter winds. Bout the best thing I can suggest is try it and see how it goes.