KiteLife Forum

Berkeley Winds during Winter?

lasapcheong

Hi,

I'm relatively new to the forum and sport kiting in general but I've got to say its one of the best "serious" hobbies I've picked up (since music).

I fly regularly in Cesar E. Chavez Park, Berkeley Marina, California , on weekends but drop down to ShoreLine park in Mountain View/Sunnyvale once in a while. Since I pick up this hobby right in the middle of summer this year I've never had to really worry about lack of winds.

However since Winter months are rapidly approaching I'd like to know if anybody knows the weather trend in the Bay Area as far as winds are concerned. I"m hearing that you either get periods of very little to no wind, or big intermittent winter gusts up to 20+mph? Looking for any flyers who've experienced this area to offer some advice. Since I'm looking so much forward to kiting every weekend I"m thinking of acquiring maybe an UL or SUL to tide me over the winter months...

Also no a related note..I"m also wondering if taking an half an hour drive down to Ocean Beach or Crissy Fields in San Francisco would help to cut down my windless frustation..as no matter how little wind there is at least it would be more consistent and smooth then the gust prone wind I've come to experience in Berkeley..

Advice anyone?

Thanks!

Darryl

I flew at the Berkeley field nearly every day between 1990 and 1994... During that time, I'm sad to say, winds seemed light all over the bay area.

Might be worth watching the forecasts, but I wouldn't hope for too much.

San Francisco (Chrissy Field or Ocean Beach) might be better, but I'm not sure.

Thanks John. I'd figure who else to give a better account then you :)

I"ve been looking at www.weather.com for berkeley reports, as well as www.wunderground.com. Sadly as well I could hardly trust the reports I'm seeing. Most of the time I just head on down and hope for winds to descend.

Mostly I do not fly near the Marina Bay area (where Highline Kites normally park their trucks), but the large open field more inland over the hills..Not sure what the ground conditions was like for you back in the 90's but I attempted a few 360s on days where there was barely a whisper of wind and nearly twisted my ankles a few times. The ground is as uneven as I can get and I have to be careful where I step because hidden potholes can be found sometimes.

Regards

Darryl

I will say, Berkeley not only taught me a lot about high wind flying in the summers... But ever so much about light wind flying over the winter.

One of these days, I'll tell you how the axel was invented... It happened right there at Cesar Chavez. :)

Flying on those swirling, low wind days are some of my fondest memories.