KiteLife Forum

Kitelife needs music!

Going into the winter months, Kitelife will be producing a LARGE variety of new videos for both the public and subscriber areas... The problem as always, is finding music we can use.

Copyright is always a concern, so we're reaching out to you, the Kitelife visitors, for legal music sources.

If you have or are involved with a band, or play with producing music at home, we could really use access to your tracks!

Anyone who thinks they might be able to help, either PM or email me with more info.

Naturally, we'd provide full music credits with or without a URL anytime your music is used.

• 2 weeks later...

Terms of use page, link at the very bottom, on the next page:

Content on our sites

Our sites include a combination of content that we create, that our partners create, and that our users create. All materials published on our sites, including, but not limited to, written content, photographs, graphics, images, illustrations, marks, logos, sound or video clips, and Flash animation, are protected by our copyrights or trademarks or those of our partners. You may not modify, publish, transmit, participate in the transfer or sale of, reproduce, create derivative works of, distribute, publicly perform, publicly display, or in any way exploit any of the materials or content on our sites in whole or in part. If you would like to request permission to use any of the content on our sites, please review our copyright notice and visit our Permissions and Reprints page.

The key words were looking for are "royalty free" or "public domain", it really limits the scope.

Just when does a piece of music become "public domain"?

A piece of music, or a composition will enter the public domain 70 years after the death of the author (composer).

Now that only covers the actual composition. For example, the Maple Leaf Rag would be in the public domain, since Scott Joplin died more than 70 years ago.

But the actual recording of a piece of music is a separately copyrighted property. So say a current artist recorded an album of old ragtime music and included that song. His recording of the song is not in the public domain, and permissions would be required to use that recording. Although, if you are musically inclined, you could record your own version freely, as the composition is public domain.

John, I know how difficult it is to find and use music. I do video for the club (IKE) and some other editing as a side business, and have spent a lot of time looking into music options.

Royalty free or buyout music can be rather expensive. If you can get a band to give you rights, that would be great. Otherwise, you'll have to find something you can purchase the rights to. Personally, I have used a lot of music from a company called Stock20. They compose and produce music specifically for things like this, and are not too expensive, relatively speaking, and have a very liberal usage agreement. Basically, the only thing you can't do is give, lease, or sell the files to another party. You can use them freely in any project, distribute them as part of that project anywhere...DVD, internet, broadcast, no limit.

They sell individual tracks as sets. That is, you get 7-10, sometimes more, different length versions of the track. You can preview any of them on the website. They are pretty much just intrumental, and range from sparse piano or guitar to full band compositions in many styles. Maybe there is something there to suit you. They're relatively new in the business, but their library grows every month as they record new music.

You can also hear some samples in my videos of the club and some of our festivals here... ;)http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=3383376241899426197

I used to be part of a small band, and we are talking about getting back together for a jam session towards the end of the month. altho I don't think we have a vocalist at the moment (and you certainly don't want me singing). I am happy to talk to the guys about putting something together.

John, if you can let me know what style of music you are after (we have done middle of the road, ethnic, pop and reggae etc), also number of tracks, and ballpark duration(s).

PM me if you want additional info

Take care out there

M

Jeff

Thank you for the info. I figured it was something like that.

Next question.....

Where do kite fliers stand using recorded music at Kite Festivals and the like? Is it OK since no money is charged? What is the story there?

Anyone?