KiteLife Forum

Camping on the Washington Coast....Long Beach area

SKITCH

Hello all...I hope this is the right place for this.

I have recently become Career Challenged...(ie.quit my job over an issue of principles and have not found another yet). We usually spend a lot of time on the coast here in WA...generally in the Long Beach area. I'm jonesin' pretty bad and need a "beach break". I know a lot of you camp out there when attending different events, workshops, festivals etc. Are there areas you recommend, do they cost much and has anyone ever camped out there during the late winter/early spring? Could be a little rough with the storms etc.

Any help would be appreciated. Also if anyone knows of a cabin or small house that might be for rent (cheap) during the off season that would be appreciated as well.

If anyone is hiring in the area...I'm available. Seattle, Tacoma...etc, etc,etc. :)

Take care all and I hope you are all ready to dust off the kite bags after a long winters nap.

Patrick

What do you do?

Wildwood park in Long Beach, on Sandy Rd?

From the go-carts head east, the road t's.. that's the one.. not positive on the name. Take a Right. It's about a 1/4 down the rd. on the R. Down a long drive way. There's trees and that would break the wind.

If you go to far, the road will T again and you take two rights and your back where you started. Did I confuse you?

You need to meet the fool. Andy, kiteflying fool... nice kite flyer and a hell of a cook with a nice kite camp spot w/hot tub and other amenities. Nice guy, pretty clean crowd. His place is a little up the road from Long Beach.

Good luck w/both. BB Penny

• 2 weeks later...

I second Penny's suggestion of the Wildwood campground--it's on Sandridge Rd., about 1/4 mi South of Sid Snyder--that's the streed that the kite museum is on.

They're generally open in the winter, just try to find a time when the pipes aren't frozen--like now. They might make a winter weekly rate for you.

The other possibility is Cape Disapointment State Park, on the ocean West of Ilwaco. It's really pretty, and cheap too.

Thanks for the suggestions guys. I'll look into all of those! They sound pretty good.

As far as work.......Outside sales for the last 5 years...before that rest. management and bar management in fast paced or upscale establishments. I was in the rest. biz for years in New York, LA, Denver and Seattle........

Actually tried to buy a bar in Long Beach but could not get it together before they took another offer. Would have been great and would have definitely gotten it involved with the Kite scene........Big space could have been used for meetings, dinners, auctions, ??????.....oh well.

Thanks again,

P

We'll keep our eye open for such a space.

Wow, our first trip down to the Windless Kite Festival in Long Beach, WA and the woods were unbelievable. Between Ramond and Aberdeen it almost looked like little tornadoes had touched down. Not just droves of large trees snapped in half from the storm, but trees layed in swirls as the wind whipped them in all sorts of directions. It must have been a hell of a storm.

I can't wait to go back. ;) BB Penny