KiteLife Forum

Freetylin!!! kite choices!

karMeister

:blink: After a few flights and getting the feel of the wind window. Im confident I could move to the next level ehehe( atleast i keep tellin myselft that ehehe)

I currently have teh Nexus and my gf got the Quantum.

I had my eyes set on the Nirvana but after i saw the price tag I think I could settle for the Ferenzy! ehehe! But its really hard to get your hands on r sky kites.

so here are my options and a few questions:

Hypnotist (looks just like the Q pro but with a design )

E2 (nice)

Ferenzy my first choice but reaaly hard to find =( A bit pricey aswell.

Now my Qs: can the Hipnotist and the E2 do a yoyo and all those tricks? Prism is pretty easy to get since its sold everywher on the net with very reasonable shipping rates.

help pls? :)

Hypnotist and E2 are both really nice kites. And both will yo yo with little to no effort. I'd recommend the Hypnotist myself. After you wear it out look for a Widow Maker. :)

Denny

I agree with the Hypnotist, it is a great kite that loves to flip. It is the easiest of the two to yo-yo. The E2 is also a great kite and can yo-yo just fine, the hypno is easier tho (IMO).

Make sure that you get the Freestyle Pilot DVD with your kite, it comes free with the Hypno and the E2.

I have not flown a Hypnotist but can tell you that if you are thinking of moving up to an E2 I would definately recommend an Elixir(I have both). They are no longer made but nice used ones go for $150. As soon as you can eliminate mistakes that drive your kite into the ground go straight to a mid range kite like the Elixir. It is the one I fly when winds are gusty, turbulant or frequently shifting because of its wide range and because it also stalls for a long time without falling out of the sky.

The DVD should not be considered a selling point on those kites. The short answer is it sucks. Look on the web for tips and talk to local flyers for help.

The DVD should not be considered a selling point on those kites. The short answer is it sucks. Look on the web for tips and talk to local flyers for help.

Dude...

What, are you high or something ? I learned a ton from that video that came with my Hypnotist. I still watch it from time to time. Yes, it might be a little dated, but there are EXCELLENT tidbits in there that you can't learn from print.

It must be nice to have other fliers around to learn from, I don't have any near me. All the learning I've done is from videos and the internet, but the Prism & Dodd Gross Flight school videos are the best learning tools if you don't have a personal instructor.

So, my advice would be to buy either the Hypnotist or E2, because they are both excellent kites, and because they come with the video. An Elixir, give me a break... where are you going to find a good one for $150 ? Last one I saw in good shape was over $200, and that was months ago.

~Rob.

• Like 1

I started with a Hypnotist. It's a great basic trainer. And combined with the Prism DVD makes learning basic tricks very easy. A few hours of practice and you'll be grinning ear to ear. I know I was. The Dodd Gross video and Randy Greenway's web site are great teaching tools too. Especially for people that don't have local pilots to learn from.

And forget an intermediate kite. Once you wear out the Hypnotist go straight into a top of the line kite like the Widow Maker or BMK Exile. ;)

Denny

BTW, pay close attention to how Mark is moving in the Prism DVD. There's a reason they call them "slack line" tricks. :P

post-3228-1200493269_thumb.jpg

Dude...

What, are you high or something ? I learned a ton from that video that came with my Hypnotist. I still watch it from time to time. Yes, it might be a little dated, but there are EXCELLENT tidbits in there that you can't learn from print.

It must be nice to have other fliers around to learn from, I don't have any near me. All the learning I've done is from videos and the internet, but the Prism & Dodd Gross Flight school videos are the best learning tools if you don't have a personal instructor.

So, my advice would be to buy either the Hypnotist or E2, because they are both excellent kites, and because they come with the video. An Elixir, give me a break... where are you going to find a good one for $150 ? Last one I saw in good shape was over $200, and that was months ago.

~Rob.

I knew I would catch hell about the video comment. I should clarify that the production value is poor enough to make it difficult for me to watch. The monotone narration is not near as bad as the "music". Prism has exelent marketing and kite design. They have also greatly expanded technology of kite design and the sport of stunt kiting and continue to do so more than any other brand. I would not be flying if not for thier 1997 catalogue.

I have not seen any other instructional videos but the Prism video supplied with those kites is ment to get people excited about kite flying and in my opinion fails to do so.

My Elixir is #2539 made on 02/09/04, purchased about a year ago for $150 shipped. The only visible ware was lettering worn off of the spreaders. Beater kites can be had as low as $75 but sell fast. Most sell between $125 and $175.

I only know of one other local flyer that stopped and talked to me. He only has low end kites that make turns. I showed him what little I know how to do on a Freestylist and he had never seen any tricks before.

I learned more in a few hours at a WACKOS meet, than I have from videos. Personal instruction is the best way to learn if you can get it. I have yet to fly again with WACKOS and made a trip out to fly by myself once. ;)

Yes, personal instruction... if I lived on the west coast, I might run into more people flying, I'm sure. Stunt kite flying is just about dead in New York, I've only run into one guy that could really fly in the last few years, and I learned how to do Flic Flacs in only a couple minutes watching him. He was flying a Sea Devil, by the way, and made everything look so easy. I watched those videos for a long time, but could never grasp FlicFlacs until I saw them in person.

I agree about the soundtrack and naration, but I usually watch them on mute these days. It keeps my wife from asking 'are you watching that video again ?' But without them, I'd still be doing loops, figure 8's, and hovering on the edge of the window.

As far as an Elixir, yes, everyone should have one eventually, and I plan to get one someday. Also, a Vapor and a Prophecy. Hard to find, but the thrill is in the hunt. I all ready have 6 Prism kites, and am looking for at least 6 more...

~Rob.

(shameless SF plug)not in you list but i think the silver fox is good. it has a bridle you can change from 3 point bridle(more stable, little more pull.) or a turbo bridle(more sensitive, little less pull)

(shameless SF plug)not in you list but i think the silver fox is good. it has a bridle you can change from 3 point bridle(more stable, little more pull.) or a turbo bridle(more sensitive, little less pull)

Hey Wen...

I don't have a SF, so I couldn't recommend it. I'm sure John B. could, though. I've seen the videos of him flying it, and it looks awesome...

I have an Acrobatx, and I love that kite. It is super tricky, although a little heavy. It's weight tricks me into flying it in conditions that are too powerful for it, and I end up folding it in half (broken spreader). I guess it's like a Jaguar, and excellent sporty model, when it's not in the shop.

~Rob.

ah yes, the acrobatx. love that kite, haven't broken mine yet though i did brake my friends prototype/test acrobatx (upper spreader)

not so good in stronger winds i hear ;) but sweet trick kite! i learnt to do the flapjack consistently on it :D

If you can hold off a month or so and save a few more $'s Premier is making a Widow Maker clone with Jon's blessings. I don't know how well it will compare with the Sky Burner, there are some noticeable differences and at the price most certainly parts spec differences but Jon has a way with spec'ing parts, after all he is SkyShark, Black Diamond, Icarex, APA etc. etc. etc. he's even found a way to bring Nirvana's into the USA at $325 rather then $550.

If the Premier Widow flys at all comparable to the Widow Maker and is built with Premiers normally fine quality craftsmanship for $150 you couldn't go wrong.

Between the Hypnotist & the E2 you'll need to define your style and flying conditions, I haven't flown an E2 but from what I've seen it has a lower wind range, the Hypnotist needs a bit of wind like your Nexus & GF's Quantum. If wind isn't a problem the Hypnotist is an easy kite to get familiar with pitch based tricks.