KiteLife Forum

Kite with a 30 - 50 lb load

evoltech

Hello!,

I am not very experienced in the world of kites, but I am looking to use one with some radio experiments in the next couple of months. I am looking for a kite that will be able to provide steady left for about 30 - 50 lbs of equipment in moderate winds. The kite will not need to maneuver a lot and should not require a large runway (not even sure if that makes sense) to get off the ground.

I don't even know what to look for to meet these requirements. I was hoping some one could point me in the right direction including everything I would need (rope, special equipment for pulling it in?, etc). Thanks for your time!

Sincerely

Hello, I'm trying to think of who we can send you to.

KAP Kite Arial Photography, They have to lift equipment, though 30 - 50 lbs sounds heavier then most.

Jerry Fincher of Fincher's Aire Force does some KAP.

He would be listed in Bremerton, WA.

Bruce Leftler (sp)

Ken T.

We'll have to try and get #'s for you. A kite that will lift that much will probably cost a bit, too.

David Gomberg can probably help you out.

I'll see if I can research some #'s tomorrow and get back to you. Good luck.

BB Penny~ who has a lifting kite for candy drops.

Hello!,

I am not very experienced in the world of kites, but I am looking to use one with some radio experiments in the next couple of months. I am looking for a kite that will be able to provide steady left for about 30 - 50 lbs of equipment in moderate winds. The kite will not need to maneuver a lot and should not require a large runway (not even sure if that makes sense) to get off the ground.

I don't even know what to look for to meet these requirements. I was hoping some one could point me in the right direction including everything I would need (rope, special equipment for pulling it in?, etc). Thanks for your time!

Sincerely

Some of the power/traction kites have no problem lifting a person given the right conditions.

I would have thought if the kite was BIG enough you should be ok.

As far as pulling it back in I have a 9000lb winch on the front of my car. That should do it!!

Wonder if some other type of lift would be good like a gas filled ballon??

I am a radio ham, just what sort of radio experiments. Only curious.

Some of the power/traction kites have no problem lifting a person given the right conditions.

I would have thought if the kite was BIG enough you should be ok.

As far as pulling it back in I have a 9000lb winch on the front of my car. That should do it!!

Wonder if some other type of lift would be good like a gas filled ballon??

I will look into the "power/traction kites". I am wondering about the ones that the kite board surfers use. I guess these have way more performance then needed, and are probably much pricier then I want. I have no experience with tetrahedron kites, but hear they can lift a lot of weight. How do they handle though? Do they fly steady? Can they be left un watched? Are they hard to get up? Does anyone sell kits, or do you have to make them yourself?

I am a radio ham, just what sort of radio experiments. Only curious.

I am looking to see what kind of signal spread I can get with a low power (10W) fm transmitter, dipole antenna, car battery, inverter, and a wireless access point hanging off the bottom of a kite at a altitude of 300-500'. I am hoping to put reflective material on the bottom of the kite to angle the signal downwards over a target area instead of shooting off into the horizon. The wireless access point will have special software and a soundcard installed on it. The audio feed will come from a web stream that will be mixed at a base station. This is not a new ideal, just a modification of ideas used by Ghram Bell and Marconi.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

no new news. I couldn't get the funding for the kites. I instead opted for a building centrally located for the area where the broadcast was for. If I get some money in the future I may do some tests with the kites and I will be sure to report back here.