KiteLife Forum

Sunday Comics

Aerochic

when i was little me and my friends made kites out of umbrellas by takeing 2 of the metal rods and cutting a dimond pattern out of the fabric.. that was the only time i ever ran with a kite tp put it in the air .. now in light winds its all about the backwords walking ..

when i was little me and my friends made kites out of umbrellas by takeing 2 of the metal rods and cutting a dimond pattern out of the fabric.. that was the only time i ever ran with a kite tp put it in the air .. now in light winds its all about the backwords walking ..

Wow, that's pretty inventive! ...and makes sense in alot of ways.

yea man those were the days.. now the old flying field has been built up and turned into a houseing devolpment.. i go by there once in a while and now its a momorial sopt for the birth of my kite flying adventures

A few years ago my Wife and myself had a competition to see who could make the best Kite out of brown paper and bamboo canes.

There was a lot of running going on, not sure that either of us managed a successfull flight.

Sure had fun though.

Dont remember getting out of breath so quickly when I was a kid though. Still felt like a kid for a while, yep we probably looked like kids too, big orrible fat old ones. :)

baloo.. i hear that man.. im glad aerochic brought up this topic as i sometimes take my self back to those fun days of flying .. when it was all about just putting a kite in the air and not haveing a care in the world as that is what being a kid is like in a way.. i just hope my son has those same type of memories as i had once hes gets a little older.. i did this back when i was 12 years old and man i still remember how much of a blast it was .. i just never knew id still be doing it to this day..

A few years ago my Wife and myself had a competition to see who could make the best Kite out of brown paper and bamboo canes.

There was a lot of running going on, not sure that either of us managed a successfull flight.

Sure had fun though.

Dont remember getting out of breath so quickly when I was a kid though. Still felt like a kid for a while, yep we probably looked like kids too, big orrible fat old ones. :o

Ahhhh, but you did have fun, and that's the point ofcourse! :) Was a winner declared?

My Dad said that he and his brother used to make kites from newspaper and cigar box struts when he was kid. :)

baloo.. i hear that man.. im glad aerochic brought up this topic as i sometimes take my self back to those fun days of flying .. when it was all about just putting a kite in the air and not haveing a care in the world as that is what being a kid is like in a way.. i just hope my son has those same type of memories as i had once hes gets a little older.. i did this back when i was 12 years old and man i still remember how much of a blast it was .. i just never knew id still be doing it to this day..

I think given you're enthusiasm for kites and all the cool things you can do with them, your son is bound to catch the bug too. It's too much fun. :) There's something very zenlike in flying single lines too. Quite carefree.

I'm sorry to hear your "home field" has been built over. :) My hometown has been built up alot over the years and I know how that feels. I grew up with lots of farmer's fields nearby. My "home flying field" though, was the beach 7th & JFK, fwiw. Makes me sad to see the hotels I stayed at either gone or turned into expensive condos.

yea i hear ya there i was going to plant a kite grave there but its now someones yard lol.. but seriously it does suck that my area is closeing in on big developments.. while i do have wildwood beach and a couple of ball fields that i get to use in the winter.. it has gone down a few times in the past 20 years.. i do have other good spots that ihave had great times in as well.. like wildwood back in the late 80s to mid 90s when the festivals had huge turnouts and the beachs all year round had kites everywhere.. in the 19 festivals ive been to i have see alot of great tallent come to my hometown.. fliers like lee sedwick, andy wardly, john sullo (a nj ny faveback in the day)paul lemaster, ben deantiono, hawaiian joe (a good friend of mine in the 80s that had a ton of hawaiians) jerry cannon and team cutting edge,dodd gross,andy seltzer,lam hoac. archie miller , pete dolphin, jose sainz, ron gaibian,bazzer, monkey , john b, steve d,scott skinner, phil broder,heck ive seen so many fliers come here i would be here all night typing all their names in this post.. it was times like these that i truely am glad i was able to see and fly with some of the greats in the kiting world.. and im lucky and blesseed to be near the best flying spot in the east lol

yea i hear ya there i was going to plant a kite grave there but its now someones yard lol.. but seriously it does suck that my area is closeing in on big developments.. while i do have wildwood beach and a couple of ball fields that i get to use in the winter.. it has gone down a few times in the past 20 years.. i do have other good spots that ihave had great times in as well.. like wildwood back in the late 80s to mid 90s when the festivals had huge turnouts and the beachs all year round had kites everywhere.. in the 19 festivals ive been to i have see alot of great tallent come to my hometown.. fliers like lee sedwick, andy wardly, john sullo (a nj ny faveback in the day)paul lemaster, ben deantiono, hawaiian joe (a good friend of mine in the 80s that had a ton of hawaiians) jerry cannon and team cutting edge,dodd gross,andy seltzer,lam hoac. archie miller , pete dolphin, jose sainz, ron gaibian,bazzer, monkey , john b, steve d,scott skinner, phil broder,heck ive seen so many fliers come here i would be here all night typing all their names in this post.. it was times like these that i truely am glad i was able to see and fly with some of the greats in the kiting world.. and im lucky and blesseed to be near the best flying spot in the east lol

You've been a lucky duck! That's for sure. I could kick myself for not getting down to your festival sooner...

• 1 month later...

LOL

I did exactly that just a couple weekends ago.

We went to Cannon Beach with an orange butterfly ripstop kite my Fiance and I bought from Grocery Outlet. $9.00. A steal we thought.

We assembled it, and I noticed something was a little off. The kite had the top spreaders stretching out the main wings, but there was no bottom spreader to stretch out the bottom wing section. The thing still looked like it would fly, so we launched it. More like, I ran with it, and ran, and ran - while watching the kite rise up, then veer left, and nosedive 90% of the time.

Man was I out of breath..... I think I got the thing up above 50ft 2 times before I got so frustrated with it, I yanked it out of the sky, and was about to snap it in 2, til I knocked some sense into myself, realizing I could fix it. lol

Im gonna install a bottom spreader on the thing before the next time we go back to the beach.

I bought her another blue butterfly kite while we were out there (WITH a bottom spreader), cuz I felt horrible that I was flying and she was just watching. lol.

Thinking about stacking the butterfly's once I get the orange one moded. :blink:

Who remembers their revelation that one doesn't have to run in order to get a kite in the air??? Hee...

post-2657-1204471716_thumb.png

Hehehehe! I was out at my local kite fest last weekend and there was ZERO wind! *Sobs* The only ones flying were the little kids and their home made cellophane kites running around like little maniacs... but they had a great time! Hee!

I love the idea of a stacked butterfly! :blink: Does your fiance have any interest in trying sport kiting?