KiteLife Forum

Recommended line for double line Yin Yang?

Fly Away

Hi there,

My name is Gordon Schofield and I have been flying double line stunt kites on and off since 1970.

My most recent kite I think is called a Yin Yang and is unusual because it is made in two haves. It came with 2x 80' lengths of line but unfortunately our cat found it in the garage and the lines are in such a tangle I thought it best just to buy some new line.

I thought I would go for 100' each side and because the winds are not that strong, something fairly light.

My main question is about the winders. This kite came with just one winder. Is this normal? When I lived on the west coast of Scotland I flew kites a lot more often and I always found it easier to have a left winder and a right winder. I found the strings were a lot easier to keep from tangling and twisting this way.

Are there winders available with a spindle so you can just walk backwards and let the line unwind? If so, what are these called. As you can tell, although I have flown kites for a long time I am very unfamiliar with all the correct terminlology used so I am hoping someone out there can understand where I'm coming from here.

Thanks for any suggestions, Gordon.

P.S Since I moved to the U.S, the best place for kite flying is on the beach near Jekyl Island. Where I live in North Georgia is not the best kite flying area as there is not a good reliable wind supply. Would I be better buying a more light-weight wind sensitive kite to allow for the poor wind conditions? Thanks again.

Gordon.

Hi there,

My name is Gordon Schofield and I have been flying double line stunt kites on and off since 1970.

My most recent kite I think is called a Yin Yang and is unusual because it is made in two haves. It came with 2x 80' lengths of line but unfortunately our cat found it in the garage and the lines are in such a tangle I thought it best just to buy some new line.

I thought I would go for 100' each side and because the winds are not that strong, something fairly light.

My main question is about the winders. This kite came with just one winder. Is this normal? When I lived on the west coast of Scotland I flew kites a lot more often and I always found it easier to have a left winder and a right winder. I found the strings were a lot easier to keep from tangling and twisting this way.

Are there winders available with a spindle so you can just walk backwards and let the line unwind? If so, what are these called. As you can tell, although I have flown kites for a long time I am very unfamiliar with all the correct terminlology used so I am hoping someone out there can understand where I'm coming from here.

Thanks for any suggestions, Gordon.

P.S Since I moved to the U.S, the best place for kite flying is on the beach near Jekyl Island. Where I live in North Georgia is not the best kite flying area as there is not a good reliable wind supply. Would I be better buying a more light-weight wind sensitive kite to allow for the poor wind conditions? Thanks again.

Gordon.

Hey Gordon...

I have a YinYang as well. It is supposed to have a wind range of 3-30mph. I would say more like 5-25mph, in my experience with it. I would use 80#-90# 75-100 ft lines on it. It doesn't have much lift, so it gets dragged down easily. 50# 75' lines would be ideal in the lower wind ranges.

As far as the single winder, yes, that's the way it's done. Wind your lines in a figure 8 pattern, like you would hitch lines on a boat cleat. To unwind, stake one end down to the ground, and just pull out with your finger in the center of the winder, it will rock back and forth, spilling the lines out as you walk. It doesn't matter if they have a couple of twists in them, you just fly them out.

For the winds you describe, you would be better off with a light wind kite. I love my Prism Zephyr, but I'm sure others will chime in on their favorites, as well.

Good luck...

~Rob.

post-786-1207177969_thumb.jpg

• 7 months later...