KiteLife Forum

Looking for kite. 100 bucks or less.

ChetR

I don't know what kite I should get and hope that anyone here can help. I am looking to buy an inexpensive kite, because I don't get to fly it much. I am heading to the Oregon coast soon. I would like a kite that will fly in little wind and also in heavier wind. Seems like sometimes when I go to the coast it's either really windy or not. It must be a dual line and I don't think I will do many tricks, I just like to do the figure 8 and basic stuff like that. I would also like to fly it near the ground and do some flips, so Im sure it will get some minor crashes.

Are the quad line kites hard for beginners? I liked how the revolution exp looked on youtube but don't know if it would be worth it for me to spend close to 200 bucks for something that I will only get hours of play on it. I like how it stopped really quick and looked very controllable spinning . Thanks for any info

Added- Also the bigger the kite the better It would be for me. I want it to be wide.

Also suggestions on where to buy the kite online.

There's one in the subscriber section (promo vids), where I'm dogstaking it in Argentina. ;)

It's a small/midsize kite, very precise, great tricks, wind range is about 3pm up to about 20mph... I use 50# and 90# line on it.

Sorry, not aware of any video elsewhere.

Hey ChetR...

I would have to recomend the Prism Hypnotist. It is a super tough kite that can do almost every trick you've seen. You can get one for about $100 on eBay. It comes with a great instructional DVD and a quality lineset. I spent 2 years of learning on it, and never managed to break it. It easily has the most hours of flying of ALL my kites. In that time, I have broken my Acrobatx at least 4 times. Don't get me wrong, the Acrobatx is a great kite, when it's not on the workbench. Don't count on it if it is your only kite. The wind blows the best when you don't have anything to fly.

So far, I have learned to do stalls, sideslides, backflips, lazy susans, multi-lazies, yoyos, roll ups, and axels on the Hypnotist. There are still more tricks that it could do, but I'm not there, yet.

The Prism DVD will take you through eveything you need to know to get going, and to start learning some tricks.

Good luck...

~Rob.

I'm really fond of the Jump, by Level One... It's probably the best performing $100 kite I've ever flown and it's very durable as well. ;)

I'm having a hard time finding information on this kite, on the net. Is it a new kite or an old? Thanks.

Thanks for the links guys. I thought I was at that site yesterday but it was in a different language.

Chet, I have the Jump in stock at The Kite Shoppe. ;)

Theresa

I will most likely give you a call this week. The only thing about the Jump that makes me think of getting something else is its size. 63" isnt huge, but it might work for me.

The size of a stunt kite has alot to do with how friendly it will be to a beginner. With an 8ft+ wingspan, the Hypnotist is really easy to fly. Nothing happens too quick, and all movements are all predictable. There are alot of great kites out there, but I don't think you'll find a better bang for your buck than the Hypnotist.

If you're like most of us, it won't be long before you have 20 kites in your bag...

~Rob.

The bigger the better. I don't know what kind of tricks I will be able to do anyways. I just see myself doing figure 8's etc. When I go to the coast I'm going with my family and we will be doing other things too, so I will only have like 4 hours to play around with it. But hopefully I will fall in love with it and go down more often to fly a kite.

Hey Chet...

They don't come much bigger than the Hypnotist. At least not at that price. Don't count on doing tricks your first day out, but if you're going to spend 4 hours flying, you might get some tricks down. Just about any kite will do tricks with the right pilot. The Hypnotist will last a casual flier a lifetime.

~Rob.

• 4 weeks later...
Since I don't know much about kites I would like to ask you guys this question. Will having a bigger kite be funner then a smaller kite if i'm not going to be doing a lot of tricks ?

i have only been doing this for a year now and needless to say i am hooked. i definitely think a bigger kite (when i say bigger i mean 64 inches & up) is much nicer to fly in terms of fun, pull, and ease of learning...they like to fly. my first kite was less than 48 inches and i tired of it quickly. you have probably, hopefully bought a kiite by now so this is probably inconsequential, but being somewhat new to this myself i have to say you came to the right place. i just bought an acrobatx that i wont get in the mail till thursday and i CANNOT wait. unfortunately i left my last kite on top of a car while loading up for a grill out and...it is no longer. a fool and his kite are soon parted. it was a new tech diode that while fun for a while and great for my wife and five year old daughter, left me wanting something a bit more trickier, so i advise listening to these guys on investing a little more at first to save you money in the long run. i wished i had. have fun. i know you will. and trust me after four hours of good wind i am sure you will be doing more than figure 8's...not that those aren't fun either.

Since I don't know much about kites I would like to ask you guys this question. Will having a bigger kite be funner then a smaller kite if i'm not going to be doing a lot of tricks ?

Chet! How was the beach???

And the Magnum?

:blink::)

Was great to meet you!

Theresa

I haven't gone yet. My family is coming from the east coast in 10 days, and we are going. I can't wait. It was nice meeting you and i appreciate the tips you gave me. I might ask here before I go again because im sure I will forget everything by then :) .

Hi,

I too am looking to buy a kite in the $100 price range, but as I live in the UK some of the kites mentioned in this thread may cost a fair bit more over here.

I have flown a small entry level kite (Spirit of Air Razor (140cm)) for the past year, and am comfortable keeping it in the air, taking off & landing, loops etc. I now want to move on to the next level and get a kite which is more suitable for learning tricks on and has crisper turns. I think the Razor is rather heavy for it's size and I find it hard to stall at will (although I have fluked a couple of slides which looked great but I could not repeat)

So what I'm looking for is a suitable step up from what I have, but at the same time is forgiving and robust enough to handle the occasional crash. :)

To get an indication of the UK prices (and the equivalent in USD), here are the kites available to me via a local dealer and UK based web sites...

New Tech Cherry Bomb £32.98 ($65)

New Tech Diode £39.99 ($80)

Prism Nexus £39.99 ($80)

Prism Quantum £59.98 ($120)

Prism Hypnotist £89.99 ($180) - way too expensive for now, so not really an option.

Premier Kites Addiction £39.99 ($80)

HQ Salsa £49.98 ($100)

HQ Jive £59.98 ($120) - I looked at one of these the other day, but it did not seem to be as well finished as the Razor.

Spirit of Air Viper £59.95 ($120)

Spirit of Air Vision £54.99 ($110)

Spirit of Air Vibe £69.99 ($140)

Any advice on which ones to look at (or cross off the list) would be greatly appreciated.

As I live inland, something that will fly in a 3-4 mph breeze would be beneficial, (provided it can handle the odd trip to the beach).

Cheers