KiteLife Forum

Newbie on Rev II

layangman

Hi All,

Hope I can get some help here!!

I owned a REV II since 1993, but did not get any air time with it since. :wacko:

Today I discovered the kite in the store room and took it out since it was a pretty windy day.

I have some experience with dual line kites, but it seems hard to control the quad.

Anywhere I can get some tips or online videos on how to fly a REVII? ;)

Any form of help is highly appreciated.

Cheers from sunny Singapore B)

the rev 2 is a fast kite.. it has a light pull to it and you can fly it in heavy winds .. it also does ok in light winds too witch is good so you can learn how the kite works..you should go and get a 1.5 to get the basics down first.. that kite is eazier to learn on then the rev 2.. the rev 2 is a great kite to have otherwise .. good luck with it

the rev 2 is a fast kite.. it has a light pull to it and you can fly it in heavy winds .. it also does ok in light winds too witch is good so you can learn how the kite works..you should go and get a 1.5 to get the basics down first.. that kite is eazier to learn on then the rev 2.. the rev 2 is a great kite to have otherwise .. good luck with it

Yep...it was fast alright. So I need a slower quad line kite to learn...ok, looks like I have to start saving for a slower speed REV ;) Thanks for the idea, now I've the excuse to buy one.

Aww it's ok. You can learn on a Rev II. Some people I've taught over the years even preferred it.

If you are a power kiteflier, it might be a little more difficult. The kite will feel like there is nothing on the end of your lines in comparison. Still, everytime you try it again, it will be easier.

You can slow the kite down, by putting adjustments on the handles. A knot system that you can move your lines up and down on to adjust the tilt of the kite. This helps alot, but it is not necessary.

You can lower your hands slightly on the handles to slow yourself down.

I wouldn't try to fly it in any wind under 5-8 mph to start with. It's small sail needs good wind for beginners.

If you have tails from your dual line, add those. It will slow it down and give the kite a little heavier feel for you. Start by trying to launch it and land it a few times to get a good feel for it and see what it takes to bring it back down. Here's a 1-2-3- Power Launch

1) lines are tight.. the bottom of the handles pointed at the kite. (Not out to the left and right.. it' can't go left and right at the same time)

2) Fully extend your arms, so you have room for a great power pull, not a little wussy launch.

3 Put one foot behind you.. That's so you can step back 1/2 to 3 steps back to create ground wind at the same time that you pull back and push the bottom of your handles up. Woosh.. You gave it lift and direction and it will fly effortlessly up to the sky and maybe over to crash on one side or another. :)

Now, push down on both thumbs and land it. Pushing down is rotating your wrist as you push your thumb down.. This will change the tilt of the kite and push the top of the kite down. If one side stays up, push down on that handle.. Wala.. you've landed it.

If you are laying the kite down when you try to land it, then you are putting to much break on your thumbs and laying the whole handle out. It's over control. Take a look. If your handles are laying down, the kite has to lay down. It's just like your holding the kite. A little less pressure is all you need.

If the kite is fast and out of control, put a little more pressure on the top, rotating your wrist slightly down and you will keep the kite from zooming forward. If the left wing is going up and the right wing is not.. your bigger then the kite. Rotate that left wrist, pushing down on that thumb .. just like your holding the kite and that wing will come down.

It looks like we are going to get some strong ugly wind for a while. Take it out a few times and try it. You can do this! Then you'll WANT to get the 1.5 because the wind window that it is capable of flying will give you more fly time. :)

If you need extra help, cruise the www.revkites.com forum. You'll get more help then you ever needed. :) Good luck!

BB Penny

Aww it's ok. You can learn on a Rev II. Some people I've taught over the years even preferred it.

It looks like we are going to get some strong ugly wind for a while. Take it out a few times and try it. You can do this! Then you'll WANT to get the 1.5 because the wind window that it is capable of flying will give you more fly time. :)

If you need extra help, cruise the www.revkites.com forum. You'll get more help then you ever needed. :) Good luck!

BB Penny

Hello Penny,

Thanks for the tip and patience to explain to me in detail :) appreciate it.

I will get another slower quad kite to learn the basics.

Penny, I have watched you on youtube and some other video clips...you're awesome, wish I could fly like you, especially indoors ;)

Those are knock-off kites, copies of the Revolution Blast. They don't have the same flight characteristics as the true Revolutions do and I wouldn't recommend them at all.

Aw...shucks :kid_content:

How come nobody's taking action against them?

What about those that make their own kites that resembles REV? One of the post here - "mini quad" looks like a REV as well.

I saw the pictures of the knockoffs.. and thought.. "oh no no no no.. "

Regardless of knock offs or not.. don't go there. If you see a Supersonic, Shockwave, Blast or any of the speed or power kites for sale and you have the money to invest in them, by all means go for it.

They are not beginner kites. It's not that it can't be done, but they are more difficult for most people to start with and have a *smaller wind window, requiring *more wind until you know how to keep them moving and save them.

The 1.5, is the best starting kite. EXP is just fine. It cost less, but still belongs with the best. The B series if you want, is perfect and you get to play with the big boys when they are in town, which improves your flying quickly. Any 1.5 if you are going to invest in a quad.

Take that Rev. II out and give it some air time. Put some tails on it... you can do this. :kid_content: Just remember to practice in high enough wind. Don't take it out in low wind and blame it on the kite.

Are you already into power kites? quads? lol There is a big difference in reaction time. (I had the worse time learning to fly power kites)

I still wouldn't suggest working your way down from largest to smallest. When they say the power kites have a large wind window, they do... yet people I know who can fly all the Rev's have trouble with the power kites in low winds. It's because the movements will be different in light wind, much like no wind and it helps to know what you need to do to keep it moving and save it as needed. They are a pre-action kite, not a reaction kite. ;)

Thanks for the indoor comment. I love indoor flying.. but I love outdoor flying to.

You can learn to indoor fly too. Hehehe Take that Rev on 12 ft. of line and play with it in no wind.

It goes like this, "Hmmmmm, I think, if I do this, the kite will do what I want... hmmm, well that didn't work... hmmm, maybe if I try this.. well that didn't work.... trial and error if your on your own. But you might find with desire you have a natural talent. You never know. :) That and now there is video of what it can do and this is still just the beginning. I find that so exciting.

BB Penny~who's thankful you gave me an opportunity to talk Rev's though I still might share my dream about IQuad in the indoor practice blog.. or not...

i seen those kites too a while back and reported them to john b .. rev im sure is aware of it.. he will be able to tell you better the i can.. now if you want a good rev power kite the blast or power blast are really nice to have for a hard pulling day of flying

BB Penny~who's thankful you gave me an opportunity to talk Rev's though I still might share my dream about IQuad in the indoor practice blog.. or not...

FYI Penny, we just added a Blog function to this forum... ;)

http://kitelife.com/forum/index.php?automo...mp;req=ucp_main

I think you'll find it'll work well as an online journal, once you get a chance to figure it out.

Blog help - http://kitelife.com/forum/index.php?act=He...E=01&HID=20

Thanks John, lol I'll try to keep the Rev dreams in the blog and the kite stuff in the indoor. BB Penny~who's blogged for so long in indoor practice she won't know what to do. ;)

FYI Penny, we just added a Blog function to this forum... ;)

http://kitelife.com/forum/index.php?automo...mp;req=ucp_main

I think you'll find it'll work well as an online journal, once you get a chance to figure it out.

Blog help - http://kitelife.com/forum/index.php?act=He...E=01&HID=20

• 1 month later...

Unbelievable... These jerks actually wrote me an email, threatening legal action!

Dear Sir,

Your posting located at http://kitelife.com/forum/index.php?showto...art=#entry16858 violates United States Patent Rights. The statements made in this posting is implying that the Revolution Kite Company has some sort of patent and trademark with the United States Patent office for their product and name. They do not and your site will be reported to the U.S. Patent Office. The fine will be $500 per occurence. This posting and any other posting implying such claims will need to be removed immediately. The US Patent Statute regarding this violation can be viewed at

http://www.uspto.gov/web/offices/pac/mpep/...5_U_S_C_292.htm

Dan (sent from Charlotte T <charlottethao2@yahoo.com>)

Far as I know, this is a public forum, users (such as awindofchange) are entitled to post their opinions, and the word patent was not used in this context anyway.

Fact of the matter, legalities aside, the kites they advertising are clearly based on Revolution's original design, even the graphics are very similar:

post-1-1212446827_thumb.jpg > compared to the original > post-1-1212446844_thumb.jpg

Revolution produced their Blast years ago, this thing came on the market much more recently.

I'm a little irritated at being threatened, to say the least. :crazy:

They copied someone elses design and complain that people wouldn't recomend their product cause it sucks in compairison to the original? :)

Thats pretty tarded, but if Revolution doesn't have a patent and this person copied the design, how can he report you or even threaten legal action? Does he have a paten? PPL are funny sometimes.

I think I'd have told him to sit on his thumb. Clearly his message was a typo. :w00t:

Dean B)