KiteLife Forum

Of nailfiles, spars & other WMDs...

Traveller

As an amateur kite flyer I've never travelled [by air] with my full kitebag for fear of customs problems & other hassles - like how to safely get your bag on & off an airplane (& the SOBs that maul your luggage for a living). I however always take a Rev or two with me!

Since they are just slightly longer than my largest suitcase, I carry them on board the plane. Well, I've taken them to the U.S. three times (post 9/11) as well as a few EU destinations w/o incident. That is, until my return from Malaga (S. Spain) where the baggage-control personnel got all bent out of shape about this mystery bag.

They opened my Rev 1.5 bag up & after one of the employees consulted the head-security dude (some guy wearing a green military-like shirt w/ matching cap & get this, pilot-style Ray-bans... :lol: ), they told me I couldn't take the two spreader* spars onboard... :sq-upsidedown:

What were they thinking, that I was carrying around this ah, ninja-like weapon (poison-tipped darts, anyone?)... :D Or maybe they thought it could be used as a hi-velocity projectile, what do I know.

*but the SLE spars were ok... :sq-upsidedown:

So long story short, I dashed back to the ticket counter & begged the agent to "tag" my two spars as luggage (cargo) & dashed back just in time for boarding.

When I went to collect my luggage at my destination there were [of course] no spars in sight.... I went ahead & placed a claim but 24hrs later & the tracking agent told me no one's reported it in yet... :w00t:

So, what to do if you're on a short trip & have no plans to take your entire bag-o-tricks along...? Mabe put the Rev(s) in one of those round packing-tubes (used by artists, architects, etc)?

These days, I don't even try to bring the kites onboard... Just too many frightened security people with no common sense, not worth dealing with.

So, I always check my carefully packed and reinforced kite bag with baggage from the start... If I'm traveling with it full-length (no broken down leading edges) and they give you crap about it being oversize, wanting to charge extra, etc... Bear this in mind:

Tell them it's sports equipment! I haven't run into an airline yet that doesn't have that clause built in for surfboards, skis, golf clubs, etc... And even to the point of asking for a manager above some ignorant desk clerk, it has never failed me when all is said and done.

Grrrr...

Tell them it's sports equipment! I haven't run into an airline yet that doesn't have that clause built in for surfboards, skis, golf clubs, etc...

There's just something about "sports equipment"! :sq-upsidedown: Our whole culture is focused on allowances for Sports! (Afterall, they have curling at the Olympics) :w00t:

I too...agree on the reality of you must pack and check-in your bags except one carryon....I have traveled many a miles via air and learn to look as "invisible" as possible.... thats the real message! :sq-upsidedown:

Now. I do have another suggestion that I learned from another frequent flyer..for your checked in bags/luggage.... Stencil on the outside in bold letters..."DEPT. of UROLOGY/UNIVERSITY".... they will never disturb your bags willingly! :D

Ah... what do you mean by "reinforced", exactly? Do you have btw, a locking mechanism* on your kitebag?

*And no, a $5 micro-padlock doesn't count...  :sq-upsidedown:

I actually don't have anything special, just a standard bag... But carrying so many Revs, spare rods, 1 rebar and a banner pole, I just distribute them throughout the bag and have NEVER had anything broken in 10+ years of regular air travel with my kites.

As for locking devices, I go with the old stand by... Wire ties (also known as zip ties).

The baggage handlers will sometimes want to take a look inside, especially on international trips... So, I go with what they use... They just cut 'em off, and put more on when they're done... I figure the less irritated they are, the better off I am. :sq-upsidedown:

I request "Fragile"stickers on mine. :sq-upsidedown: It helps, and always look for them at the oversized area. We waited once at the luggage terminal, and missed a plane. While the bags were on the floor behind us. A hard lesson years ago.

I've got to learn the sports clause. I hadn't paid yet, but come close w/argueing.

Have a great day! BB Penny

For the last several years, I've been packaging my kites in a suitcase and breaking them down as small a possible. Mostly dualliners. I too have not the courage to try and get them past the screeners. Despite the tails I have heard from the folks at Prism about carrying aboard an E2 in it's bag and not even have the security folks blink. I don't have the time or want to mess with those folks.

This past Fathers Day, my wife treated me to a gift that should be the deal.

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/template...x&cm_ite=srchdx

Mines a bit different, without the wheels, and about a third less. So far I have test packed it and I can get my Ichiban (big SLK), and 4 duallies in it. That should be enough for my trip to the Outer Banks next month. I've put labels on it and checked with the airlines, sounds like everything should fly. It's called the Plano Airliner.

I'll report back and let you know how it goes.

I've traveled across, and out of the country since 9/11, with a couple of my kites. I shoved them into a 4" diameter piece of ABS tubing (cut to the appropriate length), with the endcaps Velcro'd on, and a handle attached in the middle for carrying it. A piece of strap, held in place with duct tape will suffice, if you don't feel like getting inventive - I screwed on a furniture pull handle, from my "junk" bin in the garage. Then I stuck on a couple of Prism stickers. Total cost is less than $10.

And I checked it in.

As a side benefit, since the tube makes the baggage manglers nervous about using their conveyor belt system with a round tube, my kite tube was HAND DELIVERED to me in the baggage claim area, in every airport.

Oh - a side note: Drill a small hole thru one of the end caps, to relieve the air pressure when you pull the caps off. If you only drill one hole in one end, you could drop the whole thing in a swimming pool, and the water can't get inside the tube.

:blushing: