KiteLife Forum

Twin Delta Conyne

Progcraft

I just completed my latest kite. It's a 3.6m wide Twin Delta Conyne. I just completed framing and bridleing it last night. Here's a picture from just before adding the frame:

3.6m_Double_Delta_Conyne_132.jpg

There's 448 pieces of fabric in it. :wub:

It will fly for the first time later today up in Edmonton. They are having thier 'Kites over Callingwood' festival this weekend. Really looking forward to it.

Cheers,

P.

progcraft, congrats, great looking delta conyne...reminds me of a patchwork quilt...any special meaning behind design and color?...be sure to send pics of this beauty taking its maiden flight... :w00t:

kram...i go APE ( A Prism Enthusiast) whenever i fly

3.6m_Double_Delta_Conyne_149sm.jpg

3.6m_Double_Delta_Conyne_147sm.jpg

:w00t:

The festival in Edmonton was held on Sunday. I went up Saturday morning. I arrived at the park where the festival was to be held at about noon I knew the other early day flyers would be showing up throughout the day.

So, first thing I did was set up the twin. Before I was finished, Brian (also from calgary) showed up at the park and gave me hand putting it together.

I put the two point on the bridle in a postion that I thought would work. Then, I walked out about 25 feet of line. The wind was rather light. 5 - 8 Kph. I wasn't expecting much. I tugged on the line and walked backwards. The twin went straight up ;) And sorta stayed there (wind was light). But, it was flying :) . I had to let out a whoop of victory :)

After a few bridle tweaks to get it to fly solid, I flew the kite for a while then put it away (it was to be a special surprise remember).

After most everyone else showed up, about a dozen people including the organaize Ken Mueller and Ray Bethell, I brought it out again and flew it for a short while. It flew nice.

The wind on Sunday was really, really strong. Heavy winds. They lightened up around 10:00 which is when people really started to show up for the festival. I only brought the kite out once for a very short flight. I was a afraid the kite would snap in half.

Then... :)

Around 4:30 the wind slacked off enough for me to bring it out. I flew it at about 40 feet high right in the front of the park, and the stage. It was pretty cool to see all of the people suddenly stop and gather around. Lot's of finger pointing and camera clicking :)

And finally, to top off the day:

Edmonton_2004_013sm.jpg

The kite won a prize for 'The most beatifull kite'. :) I was thrilled :)

I call this kite, A success I love it :)

Cheers,

P.

ps. You can click on the pictures to get a really big, high res version.

Thanks guys :w00t:

You don't need a Ft. Worden course to do this Moon. Just dive in like I did. I sewed my first stitch less then a year ago ;)

To respond to Kram: The kite is in fact a combination of 3 popular quilting methods. Square-squares, log cabin, and bargello. There was no special meaning for this pattern. The whole thing though was inspired (yet again) by a couple of John Freeman's kites. A couple week ago, the idea of the combined squared-squares and log cabin popped into my head. Then, on that Sunday, a spur of the moment urge made me start building the twin DC kite. I actually had no idea how it was going to look. After I made the first 8 squares (for the box sides), I finally decided on adding a bagello pattern.. Even then, I made up each bargello piece just before I sat down to start cutting the fabric. A real seat-of-the-pants type of pattern.

Cheers,

P.

Yea! For You on your 1st place prize :) ...WoW! this Special DC Looks fantastic in the sky...Very impressive combination of design and color... :w00t: ..thanks for posting the pics...Now for your next project ;) ..hehehe

kram...Whenever i fly, i go APE ( A Prism Enthusiast)