KiteLife Forum

What kind of kite...?!

Guest Brian

He's flying the "Kestrel" made by Sky Delights... I'm not sure if it's still in production though.

http://www.skydelight.com/

You might check with one of the stores listed on our site and see if they have any in stock or can order it... Otherwise, there is another similar kite made by Sky Delights, the "Luna Moth" currently for sale in the Kite Classifieds at a great price!

http://www.kite-classifieds.com

The tails are a separate item... You can get either flat tails (like Ray has on the wingtips) which take less wind to pull around the sky, and/or tube tails (like he has on the tail or "keel" of the kites)... The tube tails definitely have more visual impact, are a little more expensive and take a little more wind.

Notice his tails have multiple colors in them... Also a little more expensive, not all stores have them in stock, but they can be ordered for you. :wub:

If you want to save a little cash, you can just get single colors.

The tails are a separate item... You can get either flat tails (like Ray has on the wingtips) which take less wind to pull around the sky, and/or tube tails (like he has on the tail or "keel" of the kites)... The tube tails definitely have more visual impact, are a little more expensive and take a little more wind.

Notice his tails have multiple colors in them... Also a little more expensive, not all stores have them in stock, but they can be ordered for you. ;)

If you want to save a little cash, you can just get single colors.

Ray's tails are custom made for him. Check this out:

Edmonton_2004_016.jpg

]

He also doesn't believe in ultra-lights... lol!

I got to fly this today:

Edmonton_2004_020.jpg

It's one of Ray's UL Pizzaz kties today :):) :) Boy was that every cool to fly that kite with hime coaching me. The wind was null to just above null. But this kite (he flys this one from his hips) fles ohhh so ver nice. Wonderfull tracking, beatufulll circles. :):)

he he he I got to fly Ray's kite he he he :w00t:

P.

Last year at the Whidbey Island Festival, Dick Barnes of Pizazz Kites, placed one of Ray's Maple Leaf's in the raffle. It was a vent Pizazz, Ray had decided that he wasn't going to fly vented kites. Rumor was he said it would make him look like a wuss to fly a vented. Bottom line, I dropped lots of raffle tickets into the bag for that kite, opps I should say my kite. She resides in my bag now. Dick called to let me know I'd won, I was so pleased and honored to have one of Ray's kites.

Here it is:

http://community.webshots.com/photo/92485729/92485953akCKBx

Really fine kite, I see why Ray flys them.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
A quick question for you Boomertype. You peaked my interest...........

Why is the kite a "she" rather than a "he:?

That is definitely a kite that I would not mind getting my hands on though.

Moon, I just noticed your comment and feel it deserves a reply.

Why SHE? I think it was purely unintentional. However, I feel it may come from my past experiences with sailboats. Boats in general get the "female gender" label. I guess in some ways I consider kites on the same level as a sailboat. Well at least they do have a keel.

However my Killer Bee is definitely a boy kite! http://community.webshots.com/s/image17/4/...38ZKlKZN_fs.jpg

as is my Ichiban, http://community.webshots.com/s/image5/7/1...15ibMwGy_fs.jpg

So do kites have gender???

Your opinion next Moon! :D

• 3 weeks later...
:) You guys have caught me on one of those rare nights when I am fairly serious, I was recently asked at a festival why I refered to the kite I was flying as "She", this took me back a little and I really did not have an answer. I think most of my kites I refer to as "She" because they are beautiful, easy on the eye, and they are gentle in the sky doing just what I like to see them do. When I am flying a kite that is not responding the way I would like I refer to it as "It", no gender at all just a kite that is not doing what I want it to. So I guess in my mind either the kite is a lady or nothing but trouble (would that be a young male around Johns age?(just out there causing trouble?) Just have trouble controling my humor ;)

:wacko: Hmmm, nope that doesn't work! I have been using the same line since high school, I only have one line and I am not a "she", course that line that I have been using since high school has only worked twice and your AOK president was the last one to fall for it ..... think I have said too much already, think I will stop now :)

Thinking against the grain from all the americans. if it all goes pear shaped then they are all B%73st(#d's and are absolutly no part of me what soever.

Tho I have to admit, even in my early kite flying career, when all goes well, then they are definitley female.

Since most females, while sometimes having a shaky start always bring about peace and harmony

:lol:

Tho be warned fellas, as you all know. expect to be surprised when you least expect it.

;):P:)