KiteLife Forum

Want to fly but no wind

oculus

Hi, this is my first posting. I started flying dual line in July after my twin daughters died. I want to fly all the time but the wind is not always strong enough. What do other flyers do? Do you purchase different kites for different situations? Ultralights for zero wind days? Do you purchase different weights of lines to extend the kite you have? I live in Portland, Oregon so I am not too far from some awesome wind on the coast, but I can't drive two hours every day to get to it. I have gone to a small field at a local middle school but the experience was very frustrating because of the turbulence.

The kite that I am starting on is an Ignitor. I have seen some other postings that say that this is not the best kite to work with. I upgraded the stock lines with Spectra but I am wondering if I am wasting my time with it. I have been eyeing the Nexus recently. Should I ditch the Ignitor for the Nexus?

Thanks!

I'm in Portland as well... Most of us do have different kites for different conditions, and shorter lines (50-75 feet) do make it a bit easier sometimes.

As for kite recommendations, I'll concede to the others on this forum... But, there is a fun fly happening just over the river in Vancouver on the 19th of this month and you might consider stopping by to fly and learn!

http://kitelife.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=218

Also, there are some kites at REALLY great prices in the Kite Classifieds which you might check out and see if any catch you interest.

http://www.kite-classifieds.com

Generally, those kites in the 8 foot wingspan range will handle lighter winds better than either of the kites you mentioned.

Welcome to you Oculus!

I am in Bend and have the same problem... a 4 hour drive for me is just not realistic.. I am thinking I will have to learn to brave the winds of winter as I think they are the only ones I will get here. I can fly a beetle in lighter winds though.. but because of the consistancy or lack of it.. it's frustrating.

Thinking about trying to indoor fly... lol ..

nice to see you here.. have fun,

hugs mousie

By the way oculus, the few fliers that live in Portland generally choose Delta Park... Not the main one with the soccer fields, but over on the west side of the highway in the overflow lot for the raceway.

It's actually not a bad spot, and the MAX lets off within a block of there from what I hear... Probably the best spot in Portland overall.

Welcome aboard!

I offer my condolences to your loss and wish you well. I couldn't even imagine going through something like that.

When I first started learning to fly dual line I became quite frustrated, especially when one pilot was able to fly the same kite I was flying and mine didn't seem to want to do anything but drop to the ground. I was lucky enough to run into another pilot who had a huge knowledge in dual line and he taught me a valuable lesson in bridle adjustment. This made the difference between "just trying to keep the kite in the air" to "flying and learning control". A simple adjustment and the kite became a totally different animal. I have put together a page about bridle adjustment to help others who are just getting into the sport.

Bridle Adjustment Page

If the wind is zero to gusty then there is not much you can do but try to pick the best time during the changes in the wind to fly - or as been mentioned, find another field that is more wind friendly. For light wind days, ultra light kites are the ticket as well as different line weights and lenghts. Many pilots do end up with several different types of kites in their bag just for this reason. This is especially true for power kites, many different sizes of the same model kite for different wind ranges. I must note that multiple kites/sizes are only necessary if you want to fly every time you go out to the field. If you can, find others who are flying in your area and hook up with them, find out what they use and why, what their most used kites are. This way you will be able to purchase along the same lines and end up with a kite that you will be able to use most of the time. They will also be able to give you tons of "hands-on" knowledge that you probably wouldn't be able to get anywhere else. Post your questions up here as well, tons of knowledge floating around on this forum that's just aching to get out. :w00t:

I hope this information helps you as much as it did for me.

The thing with lines that short, you have much less time to respond when the kite is doing a nose dive... Since the lines are 15 feet long, it only has to go about 12 feet or so before it does a high speed soil sample.

50 feet is on the lower end of line length for newbies, while still giving some time for the reflexes to kick in and turn the kite out of a nose dive. :w00t:

I myself generally won't fly shorter than 75 feet, and usually prefer the 100-120 foot range for leisure flying.

Bear in mind readers, Penny is one of the foremost indoor fliers in the USA and is most often found on 10-20 foot lines since they are the tools of choice for her specialty.

theres a little beach off the columbia river by the airport thats not bad to fly at if you find the the right day with the right wind...

I believe they call this one "Broughton Beach", and is the same place I used to practice with the masters class team Invisible Wind in 1995... While it's a fair place to fly, the sand takes the "twinkle" out of new sails pretty fast and can be a little rough on kites... in my experience anyway. :w00t:

Welcome Oculus

I also hail from Portland, OR. As mentioned I do like Delta Park to fly. It is not a bad place at all, the only problem that I have had is that my lines sometimes like to get caught in the grass.

If you have the time, you should come out to the fun fly in Vancouver on September 19th. There will undoubtably be many fliers whose brains you can pick and have more questions answered.

If you ever want someone local to go out and fly with, I am not a Master like some of these guys are, but I do like to get out there with a kite and have fun. I primarily fly quad lines, but I do have a "new" dual line that I am dying to try out.

Hope to fly with you soon!

Moon :w00t:

Wow, thanks for all the responses to my question! I would love to come out and fly on the 19th. Can I just drop by at around 11:00?

It is great to find people who understand my fascination with kiting. Most people look at me like I'm some sort of freak. "You want to spend how much on that kite?!!" They just don't understand!

Is indoor kiting for experts or can beginners try it?

Can you fly in the rain?

Thanks! Have a great day! :w00t:

We are all beginners! :) They say kiting is only in 3% of it's growth, so we are all new. No telling where this sport will go in the future!

Sure grab a kite, different lengths of line and go for it. It takes practice, but each time you go back it's easier.

:)

You won't be able to do everything in kiting, but you can try.

There's so much to learn and do.... and even more to imagine and create. :w00t:

Will you fly, or will you make? Do you want a dual, or a kite with brakes?

You can surf, roll, or shutterbug from above. Yes, there's something in kiting for everyone to love! ;)

hehehhe ok, to much coffee for me.. I better go do something constructive!

Best Breezes,

Penny

Wow, thanks for all the responses to my question!  I would love to come out and fly on the 19th.  Can I just drop by at around 11:00? 

It is great to find people who understand my fascination with kiting.  Most people look at me like I'm some sort of freak.  "You want to spend how much on that kite?!!"  They just don't understand!

Can you fly in the rain?

Thanks!  Have a great day! :w00t:

11am should be perfect, just look for all the freaks who spent too much on their kites! ;)

You can indeed fly in the rain... Remember though:

1. Do not fly if there is lightening or static in the air.

2. Open up your kite at home to let it dry out (avoid mildew).

Newbies can fly indoors, but you need a super light kite made for it.

Here's me, make sure you say hi on the 19th!

post-10-1094656635.jpg

Wow, thanks for all the responses to my question!  I would love to come out and fly on the 19th.  Can I just drop by at around 11:00? 

It is great to find people who understand my fascination with kiting.  Most people look at me like I'm some sort of freak.  "You want to spend how much on that kite?!!"  They just don't understand!

Can you fly in the rain?

Thanks!  Have a great day! :w00t:

Looking forward to meeting you at the Fun Fly!

Look for 'stuff' in the air.....towards the south end of the parking area. As you pull into the park, it will curve around to the left. Go past the restrooms, to the next parking area to the south. You should see us there. Nice grassy area, under a couple trees, with a picnic table. We spread out down there, and have lots of room to fly, relax, visit, fly, eat, visit, fly..... ;)

Theresa

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...