KiteLife Forum

Adjustment Lines

CLTKiter

J.D. Posted: Oct 1 2003, 04:22 PM

Group: Members

Member No.: 100

Ok, I just got my new rev 1.5 but I have a couple of questions on ways to make it fly better.

First of all how does flying without a britle compare to flying without one,

and I noticed that a few people have a piece of line (about six to ten inches) on their handles with knots on it. What does this do and how far apart should I put the knots?

P.S. I'll be flying this weekend so I'll try all your suggestions.

--------------------

See ya on the beach.

=====================================================

Moon Kushner Posted: Oct 1 2003, 04:49 PM

Posting Member

Member No.: 2

Hey J.D.

I fly with a bridle and I feel that it gives the kite more control, I am trying to hear what John would tell me in the back of my head..... He also flies with bridles on all of his revs and prefers them that way.

As far as the line that is on our handles, there are usually about 4-6 knots and they are spaces about and inch apart. It helps with adding more forward or reverse to the kite depending on which knot you put the lines before.

Other than that, remember that it is a rev and don't try to fly it like a dual. I have the opposite problem since I fly quads more often I always want to fly my dual like a quad.

Hope this helps.

Moon

J.D. Posted: Oct 1 2003, 06:58 PM

Member No.: 100

Thanks Moon, I'll try putting that line on my handles and see how it works for me, BTW does the line just go on the top of the handle or do you have it on the bottom to?

--------------------

See ya on the beach.

AiyanaLeigh Posted: Oct 1 2003, 07:55 PM

Wind Warrior

Group: Kitelife Subscriber

Member No.: 43

JD....perhaps I can help there too....I have knotted lines on both upper and lower attachment points on my handles...it just makes for a little more adjustment if needed. Hope you're enjoying your Rev!

--------------------

Why?....because it FLY'S

*~Aiyana~*

Penny Lingenfelter Posted: Oct 1 2003, 10:23 PM

Wind Warrior

Member No.: 79

Hey J.D.

Remind me to show you the slide knot that will take the place of the knots on your adjustment lines. You'll love it.

To share my two cents: Some people use the adjustments at the top of the handles, some at the bottom, some on both top and bottom. And some don't use them at all.

What it does is it changes the angle of your kite to catch or dump wind. Speeding the kite up, or slowing it down. It is also used to keep your lines even. Uneveness occurs due to streatching of the lines, lines that were not made evenly, knots in the line, etc.

Now the adjustment lines that come off the top of my handles can be as long as 12 inches for outdoor flying. Picture this; With the bottom of the handles pointed towards the kite, We would consider the spot (or knot) directly above the bottom handle to be "netural." Like car gears. Netural is a good space to start testing how you want to set your adjustments. Example: To slow down my kite in high winds I would go out towards the end of the adjustment lines on the top of my handles. Ths will lean the top of the kite back thus dumping air. Be sure and test your adjustments in little movements. When I use knots, I prefer to have them no more then 1/2 inch apart. Some people have knots an inch apart.

And J.D. if you are flying around the coast with good wind.not lots of wind, but good clean wind, I would suggest keeping your bridle on the kite.

I only take it off because I started that way. We were flying inland with no wind and trees all around. The caps were biggger, heavier and had metal parts. Big differance from todays Revs. The cons are; Flying without a bridle is harder on your leading edge and the kite responds so quicky, it can be twitchy or harder to control.

You flew my 1.5 Red/White and Blue kite (pretty darn good too) at Lincoln City and it didn't have a bridle. That's because I fly it inside and don't like a bridle on my kite inside. The "Indoor Revolutions" do not use bridles, only pigtails coming off of the caps.

If you want to try flying without a bridle, don't take the bridle off. Just larks head through and over the caps like I did and let the bridle hang down. Later on you can make an educated decision. But unless you are consistantly flying in light wind, you don't need to remove your bridle.

Remember~ If it's not broke, don't fix it. If it's flying well, just enjoy it and fly.

I can't wait to see you again. And see what your doing with that 1.5. You did great indoor and out. congrts on getting that 1.5! Rev on!

Best breezes,

Penny

--------------------

Penny Lingenfelter

Flying like I mean it with Revolution Kites and Laser Pro Gold Line~

No... it just can't get any better then this!

Moon Kushner Posted: Oct 1 2003, 10:42 PM

Posting Member

It seems like you have started a lively discussion J.D

I want to say that I have the knots on the tops of my handles, without them being in front of me I am drawing a blank.

Enjoy flying your rev, I love a kite that you can launch from either direction and don't have to walk to as often

Moon

AiyanaLeigh Posted: Oct 1 2003, 11:42 PM

Wind Warrior

Hi Penny!! *Hugs*

Ummm.....about that slide knot....have you got a picture of it? Or do I have to wait till that first indoor meet when I see you again! (I've got a seive for a mind sometimes..... )

--------------------

Why?....because it FLY'S

*~Aiyana~*

CLTKiter Posted: Oct 2 2003, 08:44 AM

Advanced Member

Member No.: 64

Oh Penny...

I'd love to see the knot also. If there's a picture on a Web site somewhere, you could post it in this forum. If there's a picture somewhere else, I'd really like to get it in an email. I'm using knots on the bottom of my handles about 1/2" apart, but would welcome a better approach.

Thanks, Doug

--------------------

Light Wind Flyer... Covet Breezes Higher...

Progcraft Posted: Oct 2 2003, 11:16 AM

Wind Warrior

Member No.: 62

If what your looking for is infinate fine adjustment, then this is probably what your after.

Attach the lead to your handles. Make 'em about 12 inches long and terminate them with a knot.

Take another piece of line, about 6 inches long and tie the ends together to make it a loop. This becomes your pigtail.

Then read this page:

Prusik Knot

When you need an adjustment, just move the knot a little bit. This knot is the same used on most dual line kites for attaching the pigtail. But, it would work fine as the attachment point for you Rev handles as well.

Cheers,

Progcraft.. (Might have to change my name to Kitecraft soon )

--------------------

Dear God

Please let me see your source code. I think I found a bug.

John Barresi Posted: Oct 2 2003, 10:11 PM

Kitelife Webmaster

Group: Admin

Member No.: 1

For a clarification... I have the series of knots on the top leaders from the handle, about 8 knots an inch or a little less apart (the same on both sides)... Then on the bottom I have pigtails with a single knot. All adjustments are done from the "top lines".

--------------------

Best winds,

John Barresi

Webmaster

Satori Kites

Kitelife Magazine

Moon Kushner Posted: Oct 2 2003, 11:04 PM

Posting Member

I knew you would get your two cents in soon enough. It is hard for me to visualize my handles when they aren't here.

Thanks for the clarification, I tried

CLTKiter Posted: Oct 3 2003, 04:49 AM

Advanced Member

Member No.: 64

Thanks for the great idea folks.

Doug

--------------------

Light Wind Flyer... Covet Breezes Higher...

AiyanaLeigh Posted: Oct 3 2003, 10:23 AM

Wind Warrior

So John....if the bottom lines are just pigtails.... ....are they just the stock lengths or are they custom as well? If so, how long are they??

--------------------

Why?....because it FLY'S

*~Aiyana~*

John Barresi Posted: Oct 3 2003, 11:37 PM

Kitelife Webmaster

Group: Admin

Member No.: 1

It doesn't matter because you're adjusting from the top anyway... About 3-5 inches long at the most for the bottom pigtails, top one should a foot and a half when folded length-wise, then it will naturally shorten to 10" or so with knots tied every 3/4 inch or so.

--------------------

Best winds,

John Barresi

Webmaster

Satori Kites

Kitelife Magazine

Penny Lingenfelter Posted: Oct 5 2003, 09:09 AM

Wind Warrior

Member No.: 79

OK

I am going to try and describe the slide knot. When your kite lines are larks headed onto

this knot the resistance keeps it from sliding. Loosening your larks head (a little pigtail helps here) will allow you to effortlessly slide the knot.

Start with about a 24" piece of line. This will become your adjustment line and can be cut and shortened later if you find it to long. (I prefer this length for outside)

Take that line and slip it through the top metal clasp on your rev. handles. It is now doubled over and 12" long.

With the handle in front of you and the lines ends leading away. Place your thumb as a spacer between the two lines. Take the right side and go under and over the left side. *Go under and over the left side once again. Next takethe right side up on the backside and through the top space where the two lines are seperated with your thumb. Last put it through on the front side of the *last loop you made when you went around the "2nd" time.

Tighten, being sure that the last loop does not come up and over the 1st loop you made. Holding one side still the knot should slide up and down. Larks head your line on it and Wa La! you have great adjustments, with less line to get caught on, and a lot less time then making the adjustment knots.

It's a good idea to burn those ends and place a little knot on each end, so if it does slide down it doesn't come off.

It's very simple knot. It is a climbing knot I learned at AKA from Scot Ritter and it made the whole trip worth it! No one seems to be sure of the name.

One more time, I'll try to explain it easier.

Line ends facing away from you. Right line twice under and over the left, through the top split from the back and through the last loop made from the 2nd over.

Hopefully this helps someone. If anyone has pictures, pass them on please. Tks! Penny

--------------------

Penny Lingenfelter

Flying like I mean it with Revolution Kites and Laser Pro Gold Line~

No... it just can't get any better then this!