KiteLife Forum

Kite Recommendations

Flyboy

I've not found in any of the forums direct comparison of a couple kites I'm considering. But first, let me say I'm new and am just getting some basic tricks outta my Prism Adrenaline. I'm ready to fly more, but here in Atlanta winds are often L&V, particularly in the handy nearby park.

So, based on some help from others, I've narrowed my search to the Prism Ozone, or Level One's C21 Extreme or JIB Light. Of course, I'm still open if you have a strong opinion.

I have two primary considerations: ability to fly in no/low winds and the most trickable kite among it's category peers. Not a lot to ask, right? :blue-cool: And, oh yeah, I better keep it under $200.

There ya have it. Any and all input is greatly appreciated!!

I've not found in any of the forums direct comparison of a couple kites I'm considering.  But first, let me say I'm new and am just getting some basic tricks outta my Prism Adrenaline.  I'm ready to fly more, but here in Atlanta winds are often L&V, particularly in the handy nearby park.

So, based on some help from others, I've narrowed my search to the Prism Ozone, or Level One's C21 Extreme or JIB Light.  Of course, I'm still open if you have a strong opinion.

I have two primary considerations: ability to fly in no/low winds and the most trickable kite among it's category peers.  Not a lot to ask, right?  :blue-cool:   And, oh yeah, I better keep it under $200.

There ya have it.  Any and all input is greatly appreciated!!

Welcome to the 4M! I hope you get lots of replies to your question!

All the Kites you have mentioned....are all very good choices...and all can be found for under your $ target too. Of the 3, I always have the Ozone and the JIBTB Light in the bag. If you like Level One... :ninja: ....you might also want to check out the Amazing. Great zero wind kite...we had it out and up this past Sunday...no wind...and High humidity! Full size kite, yet floats light a feather. I'm not one to have to 'work' a kite in zero wind...rather wait for the wind to do it! :devil: In that regard...I like at least 2MPH for the Oz and JBL.... ^_^ but I'm an old grandma...and lazy to boot!

Good luck!! :o

thanks, good input. How do they compare in trick-ability? My impression is the Ozone won't trick as well as the JITBL and C21E, but these two won't get off the ground in no-wind situations like the Ozone will. Am I wrong about that?

The Ozone will still make you work hard in the no-wind condititions :blue-cool:

Tricks on all ULs are a little harder than on a std kite. You really have to be gentle and coax the kite to do what you want.

Do you want a kite for no wind or one for the really low wind days? Any of the kites you listed are good low wind kites. Any chance you can try before you buy?

I really wish I COULD try first. Unfortunately, Atlanta is a Kite-poor area. I'm working to hook up with the local AKA chapter since the closest legitimate kite store is over 100 miles away. :blue-cool:

I'd really like a kite I can play with in no wind, just to maximize my opportunities. That said, most of the flying will probably be in 1-3mph.

Theresa has failed to mention the best option... the other zero wind kite in our bag... although it will exceed the $200 limit by $20, your 10% AKA discount will cover it. The STX 1.8! It will do everything that you asked for and has eclipsed the JIB Light as my favorite light wind kite. The 1.8 loves to be tossed around and will backspin in NO WIND! With just a puff of wind it will do ALL the hot tricks... Check it out, there is a short video on our web site by Felix Tric... Wind Range is Zero to Twelve. :blue-cool:

Scott

YES! Saw the video yesterday and was thoroughly impressed. Final question: will the 1.8 stand up to a relative novice? Can I bang it around a little while I learn to get "tricky wid it?" :blue-cool: And, (OK just two questions) would you say it's got considerably more tricks in it than the Ozone?

YES! Saw the video yesterday and was thoroughly impressed. Final question: will the 1.8 stand up to a relative novice? Can I bang it around a little while I learn to get "tricky wid it?" :blue-cool: And, (OK just two questions) would you say it's got considerably more tricks in it than the Ozone?

The STX 1.8 ul should be able to stand up to a novice flier. It has Avia .188 rods in it so if you do break one you don't break the bank :ninja: I would think it has more tricks than the Ozone but I haven't flown one yet :devil:

Absolutely tricks more than the Oz! It flies a lot different than the Oz in the fact that you have to coax the Oz into a trick and the 1.8 begs you to be aggressive. I had a hard time in the beginning, in that "light wind mindset", but once I figured out that it just needs to be tossed into whatever you want it to do there was no looking back. I fly the 1.8 just like I fly my 1.9 or my JTM and get the same results in very little, if any wind.

On the durability issue, I have crashed it hard countless times and it's no worse for the wear, have broken nothing! And if I did, parts are readily available, common rods.

Scott

• 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Time to add my thoughts, bcs: a) I've got a lot of hours on the 1.8 now and :wacko: by gawd I'm looking for my next kite!!

The STX 1.8 is a LOT of fun to fly and it's taken a number of thumps to the nose - so I'd rate it sturdy even for the novice in me. I've learned tricks rather easily on it - it does seem to WANT to trick - and I've even been able to coax some of those new tricks outta the old Prism Adrenaline when the winds are up and the 1.8's grounded. Flying the 1.8 has really improved my game.

However, I was not overly impressed with the construction. A lot of seems are poorly cut and fraying and they catch my 50# line often. Could be unique to my kite, but something look for if you're considering a CDC kite.

It will fly in very low winds, but anything less than a couple MPH takes some backtracking - a downright run during the lulls.

It will fly in very low winds, but anything less than a couple MPH takes some backtracking - a downright run during the lulls.

Really...

The 1.8 will fly indoors? Even though it won't fly indoor without some walking, bridle adjustment should get you to 1/2mph.

Some of the nose seams tend to be a little rough on all my CDC kites. I usually take care of them before first flight.

Time to move up to the 1.9 or the 2.1...

I only want to add that going from your standard kite to an UL is a BIG change. I am certainly no one to give lessons in this area, but I can tell you that flying an UL is more like flying your lines in the wind. Until you pull your lines to get some lift, it is really hard to feel a kite at the end of the lines. I sure hope it's better with the STX 1.8. As of now I just fly my Premier Profile in the same UL winds that I bought my Flashlight for. I can fly the Flashlight, but I just don't like the feel of it. I like a kite that you can feel, that you can really yank and pull. The Profile is a 4-25 mph kite... Yeah right! I know the kite is vented but the bottom end is just a matter of working it.

My lowest wind kite before the Flashlight was the Flying Wings Hornet. It has a low end of 2 mph. If you can find a kite that tricks better than the Hornet and has a low end of 2 mph, then the kite should be heavy enough to do some real flying.

You must understand that these are just my opinions, coming from my two eyes, my two hands and my little head. I want everyone to know for a FACT that I really love the Flashlight. I just don't click with that kite. Everything about the Flashlight is fantastic.

As I fly my Flashlight more and more, I might even learn to deal with the UL inputs that are the key to having fun with those kites... Just try yanking and spanking one of those things... LOL... Not that I would :wacko: