KiteLife Forum

New Kite... neep help deciding

HappyManTim22

Hello to everyone here... I am brand new to the forum , just registered this weekend. However, I have been reading quite a bit the last week or so. Through much of my research this past week on this forum and browsing manufacturers websites, I think I have mu first kite purchase down to 3 choices.

Prism Nexus - due to the attractive 55$ pricetag. Not too sure if it will be big enough for me to train on?

Prism Quantum - seems a little nicer than the Nexus and only 30$ more. Seems like the most Bang for Buck

Prism Hypnotist - seems a little better/different than the Quantum... please expound on this topic with any insight you may have

Prism E2 - Deffinatly the highest price in my lineup and probably not realistic in that regard, unless it's worth it in the long run. Although, I am looking at one right now on eBay though for 120 shipped...

I guess you could say that I am definatly leaning towards Prism Kites. That being said I have looked at the Silver Foxes as well and they seem nice.

I am a real big practitioner of typically going "middle/high middle end of the road" when doing things. Pretty much anything. I am off a strong belief in that you get waht you pay for and I don't want to purchase a 30$ kite today and a 80$ kite tomorrow and a 250$ next month... yadda yadda. That being said.

I have been looking into Quads as well... and see myself eventually getting a Rev at some point. I don't know if that point will come before or after I get another Dual... Man... I haven't even bought number one and I'm planning number three... that could be a bad sign...

Anyway, sorry for the rambling. Long and short I guess out of the 3or 4 I have narrowed it down to... What's the consensus on the best one to get keeping in mind that I will eventually plan on getting a high end dual(Zeypher/Widow Maker/Quantum Pro) and rev?

Thanks for all the input and I will welcome other kites I do not have on my list as well

Respectfully

Tim

Hey Tim...

I have all the kites you mentioned above. Go for the Hypnotist, it will do the most for someone getting started. It is more trickable than the Quantum, and just as durable. Plus, it comes with the Prism DVD. Don't waste your time with a half size kite (Nexus), and the E2 is more like a second kite.

~Rob.

Doh.... I just bought a Quantum... I want that DVD!!!!?!?!!?@!$@$%@#$%#^

:)

I still love my Quantum though. B)

:) /pets kite

...It is more trickable than the Quantum, and just as durable. Plus, it comes with the Prism DVD.

~Rob.

out of that set i would say the e2 because its a great all around kite and its good for when you get the hang of flying youll already have the better kite in hand without haveing to dump out money to upgrade

I would agree, going with the Hypnotist or the E2 is a better buy for the money because both come with the "Freestyle Pilot" DVD which will be a huge help for you on learning some of the advanced tricks that these kites are capable of doing.

Sorry, I have to chime in here. What is wrong with going with the Rev. as your first kite? lol You know you want it. It's not going to help to know how to trick a dual kite. They are great.. and you are going to say... why didn't I go with the Rev first?

That being said, Kiteflying is going to give you lots ot ramble on about, so go ahead and ramble! BB Penny

As far as the Rev's go, they are great. In thier OWN little way. Control of a quad line does make you feel king stuff. But when you purposly throw a kite into something slack line and recover porpously, it's something else. Theres more oops I did it again dual line :w00t:

Sorry Penny

I'm still buying the Rev B Series (Best you can get) when I get the $

Dean

Im real happy with my Prism Quantum (aside from the metal clasp tow point. They go in the garbage..). I was out at Delta Park this afternoon, testing out some bridle mods on my Fiance's cherry bomb, and trying to place yoyo stoppers on my booger. I have no problem tricking my Quantum. She wants to fly so bad, and man..... the Pull on this kite is insane! In mid-window Im leaning back about 35degrees trying to maintain (mind you I set my bridle for the pull). as far as I can tell (from my limited kiting experience) the Quantum flips, fades, and flares great. Stalls are a breeze (in higher winds its a little harder in mid-window), and its pretty darn precise at turning (could use a little more weight to increase the sharpness of precision turning).

The one main advantage that the E2 Has over the hypnotist, and quantum that I can see, is the standoff adjusters for light wind and strong wind. But I can just move my standoffs at the lower spreader point and achieve the same effect as moving them on the sail.

btw, I found the right placements for my yoyo stoppers (thanks theresa for the SOCs), by practicing wrapping up my lines. I got a yoyo off once, and was maintaining the wrapped lines pretty well, but on the recovery I dive bombed the kite, and the right standoff connector Im using for my yoyo stopper popped off into the field. lol Guess I should have taped them before messin around huh?. heh

But Im getting off track here. If you're looking to upgrade, and A.) have a budget, or B.) just dont want to spend a lot, I would highly recommend the Quantum. Since its not a tonne of $$, you don't have to feel so bad when you feed your kite some dirt, as well as when you Mod. it.

...plus it comes in green :P

:w00t:

[/Love my booger] :D

~Cheers

As far as the Rev's go, they are great. In thier OWN little way. Control of a quad line does make you feel king stuff. But when you purposly throw a kite into something slack line and recover porpously, it's something else. Theres more oops I did it again dual line :w00t:

Sorry Penny

I'm still buying the Rev B Series (Best you can get) when I get the $

Dean

tNo problem, To each their own. I'm not even into Rev tricks. I'm not a quad snob, just a rev fanatic. It's all about the control, the brakes and always having a dance partner when you fly to music. It's just kiteflying without music you know.

I bet Prism is Nation and international, not just N.W.

BB Penny

As a newer flier it may be easer to go from two lines to four . I have not done the four yet. I would recommend a prism kite in my opinion from my experience the silver fox they cant handle much with out breaking they do fly well but you might as well plan on having to replace parts . I like my E2 just fine it will flips and rolls its only limitations are mine . but maybe the quantum needs to be in my bag to Ha Ha .