KiteLife Forum

Total Beginer

CichlidAsh

I was wondering if it would be posible to pick some of the more experienced flyer's brains on which kite it would be the better choice to start into this hobby with. Sadly I am on limited budget due to ill health at the moment and will probably be getting the kite as a birthday gift from freinds so really they would only be intrested in buying new.

I have been looking at the range of kites available and have been drawn between the following:

The Prism Nexus or even the Quantum at a push and the HQ Yukon or Jive. The Jive also being towards top end of what I want to spend or have spent on me at this time. The problem is with no kite experience its hard to know which of these to go for. Thats not to say that I am limited to these kites just more limited in budget that being between £40-60 if some other recomendations come in this range then please dont hesitate to mention them.

Thanks in advance

Ash

New Tech Kites "Cherry Bomb" is a great starter kite @ $60. Its only 3/4 the size of the quantum (66inches), but its a little easier to control while learning the essentials (turning, loops, slides, stalling, snap stalls, etc...).

I have both the Cherry Bomb and the Quantum. the Quantum is about 7ft. wingspan, and has amazing pull and speed in higher winds, and it tricks very well (whatever tricks I've learned so far). The Cherry bomb will lift in lighter winds than the quantum, even though they are rated essentially the same.

If you get the Quantum, DONT use the clasps they stick on the tow point,, they break. (see THIS post)

even though I 'graduated' from a beginner kite, to a bigger beginner kite, I don't regret it in the slightest. Both kites offer different aspects of flying, and in the end, the more kites, the better. :)

Good luck on your decision m8.

~Jon

So what if all the friends got together and bought something that would be around for a long time that would fly in most winds and allow you to progress in your flying. Sorry, I hate recieving gifts myself. But anymore I'm like, "well if you want, just do it right and make it worth it." Besides, nothing like having friends to fly with. With the right kite you could all get into it and you'd have your own club. Course eventually, you'd have to tell them to go buy their own kites. :)

Just a random thought. Sorry, I do that from time to time.

Dean :w00t:

As it happens I actually did get a call from a freind the other day telling me she forgot to get me a Xmas present and was about to order me something and asked what I wanted, I told her about the Kite and shes not going to put some money towards getting one with this happening I am starting to up my choices slightly and now have my sights set on the Hypnotist from prism. Still I am most greatful for all the advice given so far.

first off let me welcome you to this post you will fined . A lot of great people here that are very help full with all there knowledge and willingness to pass it on. I hope you enjoy your prism kite that is a great first pick you will not feel the need to up grade in a month . enjoy and good winds to you :clap;

I really recommend the HYPNOTIST. I bought some other kites first then proceeded to break them as I moved through the learning curve. Waiting for parts is not fun and not flying while waiting for parts is less fun. The HYPNOTIST seems to be crash-proof. I've lawn-darted it at high speed and still can't cause any damage. I just go out and fly it. Consequently I've learned a great deal through more flying time. When you grow beyond it, it's a great kite to lend to a friend who wants to try the sport. You can happily watch them lawn-dart it. :clap;

One of the greatest feature of the Hypnotist is that the Freestyle Pilot DVD is included free in every kite. This is a huge advantage to any pilot looking to get into this sport. Great DVD with a ton of instruction and tricks.

Excellent purchase and let us all know how you get along with your new kite!