KiteLife Forum

Problem with my Rev EXP?

markrogers

I was wondering if my EXP had something wrong with it. I just can't get it to fly sideways and it hardly flies backwards. It will fly backwards but not very fast and is a real pain to keep in the air when doing so. I am thinking that maybe the bridle isn't setup correctly. The lines are all the same length as I set those up when I first got it.

I do like flying it though and was thinking of getting another one, especially after seeing the vids on here. Which one is the best for ballet? I'm not bothered how long it takes me to learn, I'd just like to start with the best one to begin with. Thanks.

If you think the kite has something wrong with it, :sq-smile: (oh hello) connect your line directly to the end caps of your vertical spar.. top and bottom and try it. You might find it's only pilot error as it takes a little practice to get the kite in reverse without flipping out your tips.

The rev's fly different then the power quads. Sorry, I should have read the list of kites you had before I posted, but I think that's what you had.

Use more pressure on your thumbs to keep the kite on tip, move your whole arms to the side. If you've flown quck quads before.. maybe there is a problem, but usually it's just people not realizing that it takes practice. Good luck! I'll try to get back later to keep an eye on this post. Gotta get to work. BB Penmy

Hi Penny, I'll try attaching the lines to the verticals later this week, my Quadrifoil Comp. XM is a relatively quick traction kite and is also great fun in light winds, where you can do similar tricks to the Rev.

I had noticed in the vid clips of you (you make it look so easy) that you move about a lot, perhaps thats where I'm going wrong as I am literally 'static' I put in some more practise. BTW what is your favourite Rev for ballet stuff out of the models available?

Hi Mark,

You are going to get varied answers from most of us Rev fliers, as far as which is the best for ballet. Personally I like the Rev I, I have a variety of Rev 1.5 is my bag, and I always seem to favor the Rev I. It is a bigger kite, so in my opinion is has a little bit more control that the smaller Rev's do. They finally have started to manufacture them again which is awsome. It will make your EXP feel small, and it is definetly not as squirly.

As far as the flight goes on your EXP, are you using knots on your handles to give the kite more forward or backwards as needed? I believe that somewhere on this forum John Barresi has put up a photo of how he sets up his handles with the knots, and it makes all the difference in the world to me. I will peek around the forum for it and let you know. If it is not thre anymore I will see if John can repost it after his return.

Moon

Sounds like it needs more break.Also...depending on winds & usage.....

Is it possible that you got some line stretch?Never hurts to give them a quick check.

If you stll suspect its a bridle problem....measure one side & compare to other....looking for any discrepancies.

Hope that you get it figured out.

Good Winds

Mike

A lot of good info already posted. As Mike has said, check your bridles from one side to the other to make sure they are the same. We actually had one here one time that the right hand bridle was actually put upside down. That wouldn't have any effect on sliding the kite sideways but does a heck of a trick on getting the kite to fly straght. Also check your lines for lenght differences. Stake one end of your lines firmly and then put some good tension on the other end to see if you have any differences in the lengths. With the precision of the rev's even one inch difference can give you some strange behavior.

When you do your reverse flight does the wing tips tend to flip-over on you? If so then you are over-driving your bottom lines. Try it with a little less pressure until you get it just right. :devil: If the tips aren't flapping over you may not have enough brake line tension, play with the brake lines a little until you find a setting that fits your flying style. The EXP is not that quick of a kite (compared to some of the others). You may want to try shortening your lines down to make the kite a little more responsive as well. It will speed up your reaction times as well as put a little more "feel" on your handles while you fly. I don't recommend shorter lines for someone who is just beginning because of the added speed but you should have no problems with your skills and it may make it a little quicker for you. :sq-smile:

My fav REV is the Supersonic which will fly in reverse as fast or faster than the EXP flies forwards. Quite a bit harder to master flight than the EXP and I usually don't bother taking it out of the bag unless the winds are 10+ mph. The sail is a lot tighter than the EXP so the wing tip flip-over us not much of an issue and the dive stops can stop your heart beat! Don't blink when you fly it or it could end up in the next zip code.

Did someone ask for a photo of my Rev handles? ;)

Notice that I have knots every inch or so on the top leads, and only one on the bottom leads... The distance between knots will vary between users, but I've never had a need for anything less.

The handles shown have had the metal rings removed, and the leads mounted directly into the handles... I just got tired of the rings flipping back during flight, but this is not a required modification and does take some time.

These appear exactly the way I've flown them for over ten years, with great sucess.

FYI - The settings shown are on extended Rev I handles, for my Rev I.

post-13-1097219646.jpg