KiteLife Forum

totl kite lines

grooz23

hey, i am getting a friends totl (team hawaiian?) back into flying condition. it needs a stand-off and some things which are no problem, but i was wondering what length/strength line to get for it. is 150# enough or should i get something stronger? this thing is huge!! he inherited it from some one, doesn't fly much if at all, but he won't sell it to me so i decided i would get it flyable and fly it for a little while before i give it back to him ;) fair trade off for a little running around and stuff. thanks for any help in this regard.

-greg zimmerman

hey, i am getting a friends totl (team hawaiian?) back into flying condition. it needs a stand-off and some things which are no problem, but i was wondering what length/strength line to get for it. is 150# enough or should i get something stronger? this thing is huge!! he inherited it from some one, doesn't fly much if at all, but he won't sell it to me so i decided i would get it flyable and fly it for a little while before i give it back to him ;) fair trade off for a little running around and stuff. thanks for any help in this regard.

-greg zimmerman

Ah yes...talk about history!!!

Question...Stand offs...actually can be even smaller than the .0815 standoffs that I have used on my old Hawaiian's.

Put the kite together...and use just enough length to hold the sail open but not stretched too tightly.

Also remember that that big sail ripstop, especially flown a lot (in rain..wet conditions and high winds has surely ENLARGED AND BAGGED OUT...that once tight and taught sail, compared to when it was new.

That means that the length of that standoff will very considerable...kite to kite.

Also...depending on what lower spreaders frame set came with your kite, especially if they were pultrude .2400's. or the old EASTON TRI WRAPS...perhaps a good upgrade to a stiffer lower spreaders will keep that old truck on track.

KITE LINES LENGTH...for team flying (depending on the number of flyers) will vary...otherwise the flyers will have to stagger themselves to make flying together a easier task.

LINE DIA...again many teams in the past used often at least 300lb. spectra-that was modifed with Kevlar leads that helped add longer life span to the spectra that you know that all those multi wraps, thread and weave tricks n' treat flyin stuff will fuzz, and abrasion will shorten the lift span of those expensive 300 lb. spectra pretty drastically in short order...especially flying in higher wind conditions...otherwise one could utilize smaller dia. spectra flying lines (even 90# in lighter air)...if they don't forget to combine them with leader lines from the kite with the #300 lb.

Its been a very long time since I have flown with my good CUTTING EDGE flight buds, Rob & Sherry Scribner, her brother Don Powel and Chistie at that little field near the AeroSpace Center.

However in those days we were flying Roger Guyettes beautiful Ram &Turbojets instead of the mighty work horse of Don Tabor.

post-3459-1213296116_thumb.jpg

post-3459-1213296317_thumb.jpg

WOW! thank you for the very thorough breakdown. the stand off (the one that remained) was a white fiberglass rod with rubber nipple tips. i foudn some carbon fiber ones and cut two to the original size one and put tips on them, i think it'll work out. i found a 100' 200# set of lines in town (very few items to choose from) and except for the actual launching she is ready to fly. i am thinking i might sit down on initial launch as i hear it gives a good pull. oh yeah, this one has these odd, metal bridle attachments which doesn't use a larkshead. i can't wait to see what happens.

a chef is me,

greg z.

WOW! thank you for the very thorough breakdown. the stand off (the one that remained) was a white fiberglass rod with rubber nipple tips. i foudn some carbon fiber ones and cut two to the original size one and put tips on them, i think it'll work out. i found a 100' 200# set of lines in town (very few items to choose from) and except for the actual launching she is ready to fly. i am thinking i might sit down on initial launch as i hear it gives a good pull. oh yeah, this one has these odd, metal bridle attachments which doesn't use a larkshead. i can't wait to see what happens.

a chef is me,

greg z.

Great to hear that you found some carbon standoffs close bye.

Those #200 lb. lines will be just fine...Personal preference but I like to keep the lines length at about 115 to not over 125 feet with those TOL team kites.

Do a little PRE-STRETCH and making certain both lines are EXACTLY the same length. Nothing is more annoying that trying to fly with one line longer than the other... B):huh::P

Check your bridle settings making certain both left and right bridle lines are adjusted the same on both sides...

DON'T bother to sit down on launch...since you you can always step down wind with the kite...or fly it up to the top of the wind window, if the wind is really "bookin-n-cookin! :lol:

ENJOY THE MOMENT. GO FLY A KITE OR KITES! ;):blink:

post-3459-1213374012_thumb.jpg

a chef is me,

greg z.

Great to hear that you found some carbon standoffs close bye.

Those #200 lb. lines will be just fine...Personal preference but I like to keep the lines length at about 115 to not over 125 feet with those TOL team kites.

Do a little PRE-STRETCH and making certain both lines are EXACTLY the same length. Nothing is more annoying that trying to fly with one line longer than the other... B):devil::w00t:

Check your bridle settings making certain both left and right bridle lines are adjusted the same on both sides...

DON'T bother to sit down on launch...since you you can always step down wind with the kite...or fly it up to the top of the wind window, if the wind is really "bookin-n-cookin! :lol:

ENJOY THE MOMENT. GO FLY A KITE OR KITES! B):blink:

This is my TOTL Hawaiian kite.

It has 261 fiberglass spars for standoffs.

It's now equiped with a .404 spine and .370 rods, all hollow fiberglass.

I usually fly it in a stack with an Avenger which is similar to a small Hawaiian kite.

Pulls a ton.

Notice how the stripes don't line up at the center.

post-3337-1213472738_thumb.jpg

post-3337-1213505680_thumb.jpg

flew the newly refurbished totl on fathers day. 22 mph wind. AWESOME!!! pulled me around quite a bit, but nothing i couldn't handle. i actually sat down and brought it across the power zone and used it to pick me up to standing, fun, fun. i also had my rev and acrobatx set up at the same time and went to the acro and then to the quad and they felt like little toy kites after the pull of that beast. anyway, i gave it back to the owner, showed him how to fly it (he had never had it in the air) so me and the flyin' hawaiian have parted ways...fun while it lasted. on the plus side i may have cultivated a flying partner...something that i do not have here in oshkosh. thanks to everyone for the valuable input.