KiteLife Forum

BEST FREESTYLIN'$$$ BANG FOR THE BUCK SPORT-KITE

Shultzie

This morning.....as I was sittin' beside the new Narrows bridge exit with my cardboard sign....THAT READS...

"WILL GIVE KITE FLYIN LESSONS AND TEACH KITE-TRICKS FOR FOOD or the new freestylin' trick kite of the moment."

It didn't take long that NO ONE EVEN SLOWED DOWN OR STOPPED...(except for one reeeeeeeeally unfortunate down on her luck n' looks lady of the night just returning from her nightly gig on Tacoma Blvd south on her way home.

She asked if I had had any luck....and wanted to know if I would teach her how to------------- NEVA MIND!!! ;)B)B)

After I explained my woes and worries about how much new high performance kites cost these days...she flipped me off...got back in her old Chev pickup and drove off...spraying me with loose gravel and the smell of burnt gas and oil fumes.

E-NUFF CRAP! BOTTOM LINE:

JUST WONDERING WHAT MOST FREESTYLIN' N' PROFILIN' DOWN ON THEIR $$$LUCK FREESTYLIN' FLYERS ARE FLYING THESE DAZE-DAYS FOR FUN-FOOD-AND SOUL SOOTHIN"??? :confused!:

In other words...the most fun kite for the needy and new free style kite depraved and deprived addicted kite-krazzeeeeeeeeee?

photo shows..left to right.

Shultzie-The Roger Maddy clan and our beloved KITE-KRAZZEEELEADER...COREY JENSEN! Longbeach 94

post-3459-1213737089_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Oh man, best dual line freestyle kite for the buck?

Well, for it's size and price range... The Jump by Level One is absolutely killer at $100 or so, one of my top five overall favorites in dual lines.

Doesn't fly quite like a good full size kite, but it'll do almost all the known tricks, has a wide wind range, and is very precise.

In the way of full size kites, I really like the Sea Devil (for tricks - $400) and the Shiva (for drive/precision - ^$175). ;)

Well, for it's size and price range... The Jump by Level One is absolutely killer at $100 or so, one of my top five overall favorites in dual lines.

Doesn't fly quite like a good full size kite, but it'll do almost all the known tricks, has a wide wind range, and is very precise.

In the way of full size kites, I really like the Sea Devil (for tricks - $400) and the Shiva (for drive/precision - ^$175). ;)

Right on spot, John!

All great options!

And I have every one of them too! B)

T

In the way of full size kites, I really like the Sea Devil (for tricks - $400) and the Shiva (for drive/precision - ^$175). B)

Thanks John for sharing your personal preference thang' thing with me....when it comes to finding a great freestylin' sport kite that doesn't take a couple month retirement fund fun $$$$ B)

A virtually impossible question to answer, huh? Since we know that soooo many factors play into which kite of choice of the day...might bring up a different answer to that question.

The weather...be it light or windy..bumpy or smooth.....

Our mood!!! I never leave home with a kite..without headsets and my favorite music AND SO MUCH depends on not only the flying conditions..but more importantly what kite in my bag that FITS both the weather conditions or my choice in music or my ever present mood swings that often be-devil old kite krazzzeees like me? ;)

Actually kinda strange question coming from n' old kite-kook-koot....to be extremely fickle and loves kickin-n-kite testing ever kite that I can get into my shriveled old carpel tunneled hands.

SO MANY GREAT KITES...SO LITTLE TIME....SO LITTLE OPPORTUNITIES

so be fore warned:

If you see a KRAZEEE OLD KITE MAN with a dirty old grey GIG HARBOR hat...limpin up the beach toward you...EYE BALLIN' THAT PURTY NEW NEW KITE YOU JUST PLUNKED DOWN A MONTHS WAGES FOR...who has the awetazzzity' or nads' to ask you for a "KITE FIX" on that new freestyler of yers'...

JUST "SNYLE" be honest with that really good answer: " NO! HELL NO!!! U CAN'T HANDLE IT!"

Oh...yeh!

You've seen this photo of my old Flash many times before...but still my favorite vintage freestyle kite that I did my first barrel and roll up's with soooo many years ago.

post-3459-1213804478_thumb.jpg

I am going to post a review on the new Premier Jewel. MSRP $59.95.

You might want to have a look at that one as well. The price is amazing for what this kite is able to do.

Any chance of checking out Jon's NIGHTHAWK?...looks interesting...for a few bucks more....especially the poly sail...to keep the NW moisture buggaboo's away? ;)

Jon T's made some awesome kites over the last few years. The Nighthawk is right up there with the best of them. We have sold a ton of Nighthawks and nobody has ever said a bad thing back to us on it. Great kite for sure. I was more fond of the Mangnum (Nighthawks bigger brother) but then again, I am partial to the larger wings.

Kent!

Thanks for that prompt reply to my E mail to inform us about the review of that little "JEWEL" of a kite. Speaking of JEWEL...

That review of yours was EXTREMELY well thought out test plan but even betta yet, it was great to see that you not only put that little kite through some pretty intense testing and also it was great to hear , what other accomplished kite flyers honestly thought of this little fun, fun , fun kite.

After reading your review....This little JEWEL is not only a very good BANG FOR THE BUCK...but EZ on the wallet-O-as well!!! ;)

Wish you all would come to Albany Oregon. I'd tell ya if it was worth while for ya. ;) Maybe that could be a job for me. PROFFESIONAL KITE TESTER, :P Just a thought. :w00t:

Dean B)

Best Freestyling Bang for the Buck Sportkite..? 3 come to mind, Level One, My One, which will do everything known and more. Level One Jump, it may be small in size, but is a trick machine in capable hands. The 3rd Silver Fox 2.3 Std, this sportkite speaks for itself.

Once again, it depends on "how many bucks you have to bang with"..?

Regards,

Merlion

• 2 weeks later...
Wish you all would come to Albany Oregon. I'd tell ya if it was worth while for ya. B) Maybe that could be a job for me. PROFFESIONAL KITE TESTER, B) Just a thought. ;)

Dean :)

Best Freestyling Bang for the Buck Sportkite..? 3 come to mind, Level One, My One, which will do everything known and more. Level One Jump, it may be small in size, but is a trick machine in capable hands. The 3rd Silver Fox 2.3 Std, this sportkite speaks for itself.

Regards,

Merlion

Hey Gang...

My CEO-CFO-MISSEEMASSA' caught me sitting on the curbside exit to Gig Harbor last week...holding my sign that read:

"WILL GIVE KITE LESSONS FOR NEW SILVER FOX 2.5 UL SPORT KITE...GOD BLESS!"

After receiving my monthly pithee-pentence' retirement check.....I went on line, ordered that new FOX and within a couple of days, my new BIG HEAVY FOXY-MAMAAA! arrived by priority lst class mail by our postlady...that she delivered directly to my shaky-old kite depraved n' deprived hands!

The GODS OF SPORTKITES must be angry with me....THE WINDS HAVE BEEN VIRTUALLY CALM with teasing gusts to almost 0-to3 mph...EVER SINCE!

I have only been out twice in last few days...but so far my first impression is:

THIS BEAUTIFUL SKYFOX 2.5 UL is actually one of the heaviest kites in my kite bag! Even weighs more than one of my old vented high wind kites? :lol: Daaaa?????

I was equally surprised to find that the bridle settings do not allow much room for tweaking and sadly, with both the standard and turbo "sweet spot" settings...seem to be set WAAAAAAAAAAY TO LOW but after working with BOTH settings and finally after resorting to "bow-tie' with my little pieces of Starbucks java stirrin' sticks....that would allow me to BRING IN THE NOSE AT BIT...then at least would allow the kite to almost reach the top of the light wind window...but sadly THIS QUICKEE' FIX...reduced the trick-ablility almost to an unacceptable condition.

Both days...

I GAVE UP, took my little old HQ Shadow and beat up old Prism Qpeee' and then at least was able to at least take advantage of the light air...THAT MOST ANY OTHER BRAND OF UL in my bag was more than capable of performing in?

Hummm?

Guess that what happens when I put too much trust in watching videos instead of TEST flying any kite before I decide to invest my meager lunch money.

BOTTOM LINE: BUYER REMORSE...NOT REALLY!! TODAY THE WIND IS UP...but raining! Perhaps with a little normal 5 to 10 breeze...

This little LEADFOX 2.5 UL...(SKYFOX 2.5 UL?)JUST MIGHT PROVE TO BE ONE OF THE MOST FUN KITES IN MY BAG OF RASHED AND TRASHED OLD STUFF.

Hummm?

Gotta trim some weight some where??? Perhaps starting with a new lighter bridle with more adjustability just might DO THE TRICK?

Until then...my CFO still thinks that I have this most annoying health concern that has been part of my Arkansas gene pool for so many years...

(see attachment:

post-3459-1215103609_thumb.jpg

Wish you all would come to Albany Oregon. I'd tell ya if it was worth while for ya. :w00t: Maybe that could be a job for me. PROFFESIONAL KITE TESTER, :w00t: Just a thought. :)

Dean B)

Regards,

Merlion

Hey Gang...

My CEO-CFO-MISSEEMASSA' caught me sitting on the curbside exit to Gig Harbor last week...holding my sign that read:

"WILL GIVE KITE LESSONS FOR NEW SILVER FOX 2.5 UL SPORT KITE...GOD BLESS!"

After receiving my monthly pithee-pentence' retirement check.....I went on line, ordered that new FOX and within a couple of days, my new BIG HEAVY FOXY-MAMAAA! arrived by priority lst class mail by our postlady...that she delivered directly to my shaky-old kite depraved n' deprived hands!

The GODS OF SPORTKITES must be angry with me....THE WINDS HAVE BEEN VIRTUALLY CALM with teasing gusts to almost 0-to3 mph...EVER SINCE!

I have only been out twice in last few days...but so far my first impression is:

THIS BEAUTIFUL SKYFOX 2.5 UL is actually one of the heaviest kites in my kite bag! Even weighs more than one of my old vented high wind kites? :) Daaaa?????

I was equally surprised to find that the bridle settings do not allow much room for tweaking and sadly, with both the standard and turbo "sweet spot" settings...seem to be set WAAAAAAAAAAY TO LOW but after working with BOTH settings and finally after resorting to "bow-tie' with my little pieces of Starbucks java stirrin' sticks....that would allow me to BRING IN THE NOSE AT BIT...then at least would allow the kite to almost reach the top of the light wind window...but sadly THIS QUICKEE' FIX...reduced the trick-ablility almost to an unacceptable condition.

Both days...

I GAVE UP, took my little old HQ Shadow and beat up old Prism Qpeee' and then at least was able to at least take advantage of the light air...THAT MOST ANY OTHER BRAND OF UL in my bag was more than capable of performing in?

Hummm?

Guess that what happens when I put too much trust in watching videos instead of TEST flying any kite before I decide to invest my meager lunch money.

BOTTOM LINE: BUYER REMORSE...NOT REALLY!! TODAY THE WIND IS UP...but raining! Perhaps with a little normal 5 to 10 breeze...

This little LEADFOX 2.5 UL...(SKYFOX 2.5 UL?)JUST MIGHT PROVE TO BE ONE OF THE MOST FUN KITES IN MY BAG OF RASHED AND TRASHED OLD STUFF.

Hummm?

Gotta trim some weight some where??? Perhaps starting with a new lighter bridle with more adjustability just might DO THE TRICK?

Until then...my CFO still thinks that I have this most annoying health concern that has been part of my Arkansas gene pool for so many years...

(see attachment:

Yesterday...finally lucked out with some of the smoooooooothest incoming SW wind that I flown in for about 3 months here at my Gig Harbor Purdy Spit. Took the new Silver Fox 2.5 (UL:)

Couldn't find my wind meter...but from my calibrated wind on my earballs....I would guess would be in the 4 to 8mph range.

Anyhoo...Started out flying with the "red bead slip-snot' setting and althought the kite tracked nicely...it was VIRTUALLY IMPOSSIBLE to fly a snappy crisp 90o turns or anything that could be called a wing tip turn?

To label this blue bead setting PRECISION....is not only an UNACCEPTABLE STRETCH but literally has to be a JOKE. :lol:

HOWEVER!!!

After wasting about 20 minutes of great flying conditions...(even with thoughts about putting the kite up on CRAIGS LIST) Atter that randumb' thought...

OK! AFTER MOVING THE SLIPKNOT BEHIND THE BLUE BEADS!!

THIS WAS THE ANSWER...

Although this BIG HEAVY SL-UL definately DOESN'T FLY LIKE ANY UL that I have ever flown...

At the TURBO MODE...

suddenly this BIG TOAD began to show me some of the nicest but SLOOOOWWWEST' trick flying of any kite I have ever flown before...ONCE I GOT USED TO JUST HOW SLOOOOOOOWWWW THIS KITE FLIES at this setting.

Even during the moments when the wind picked up....this FOX...remained at a snails pace...

SLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOWWWWW MOTION! Still after all SAD AND DUNG!!!

This SilverSlugFox... yesterday, became a predictable flying machine...(to the point of almost BORING) but a nice change of pace from flying what I thought would become a freestyle UL kite.

GADS! THIS MUST RATE AS THE SLOWEST MOTION FLYIN KITE I HAVE EVER FLOWN???

One other point:

I guess this proves that I DO NOT ENJOY a kite that TAKES THAT MUCH ARM AND HAND INPUT IN ORDER TO GET A KITE TO RESPOND...thus proving I have been getting waaay to lazy, from flying that radical snappy fast paced Goodwind custom Flashlights & HQ Shadow for the past year. Perhaps that has forever killed my interest in BIG HEAVY KITES?

Bottom line:

I haven't given up on this BIG WEIGHTY SILVER FOXY MUTTA so called a UL kite.

I HATE TWEAKIN BRIDLES...AND KEEP HEARING THE ECHOS OF MARK REED...in my demented kite brain....HEY SHULTZIE!!! STOP TWEAKIN AND FREAKIN WITH MY BRIDLES!!! FIRST, LEARN TO FLY THEM LIKE I DESIGNED THEM!!! However in this case with this SL 2.5 BIGGINS HEAVY MONSTER...I THIND A BRIDLE TWEAK has to be the answer?

With that in mind...I will have to give this SILVER FOX...a lot more AIR TIME! It is more than clear that at my age...I don't want to waste time tweaking.

I JUST HAD A HORRIFICAL' THOUGHT!!!

(After death...for n' old kite flyer..

SURELY HELL COULD BE>>>>THAT THE :P:) DEVIL WILL GIVE HIM A BEAUTIFUL FOXEY LOOKING KITE...

THAT WILL LOOK SOO BEAUTIFUL...

BUT WILL GIVE THAT KITER FOREVER HELL as he SPENDS ETERNITY..

TRYING IN VAIN TO GET THAT BEAUTY TO FLY AS EXPECTED..... IN THOSE HOT WINDS FROM THOSE HELL FIRES FLAMES BELOW!!

YES!

I have just reviewed that great SILVER FOX VIDEO...AGAIN!! Yes! in the right hands of an expert...this kite does have some real possibilites as a freestyle kite.

Hummm? "FIREFOX!" or "HELLFIRE!"

What a great names for a new smaller fast flyin-quick snappy turnin-tumblin radical freestyle kite???

OK! KITE-KRAZZZEEES! INDEED...YES! TOO MUCH HOT AIR HUH? I NEED LOTS OF KITE THERAPPEEEEE!!! :devil::devil:

I've got Inlaws up in Bremerton WA m8.

I'll give ya a PM next time Im up there. Would love to get out and fly with some new ppl,, or just people at all, and am always up for new flying spots, even if they're 300 miles away. :sq-sad:

I've got Inlaws up in Bremerton WA m8.

I'll give ya a PM next time Im up there. Would love to get out and fly with some new ppl,, or just people at all, and am always up for new flying spots, even if they're 300 miles away. :sq-sad:

SOUNDS GREAT....

Private E and I will send you my phone numba'...BREMERTON HAS SOME AMAZINGLY BEAUTIFUL SPOTS TO CUT HOLES IN THE SKY...(n' water ;)

Shultzie:

I am awaiting the arrival of a brand new Silver Fox 2.5 UL. I am quite used to forcing my French Connection to fly.(they should have called it the "Panzer") The thing's a tank.

Although the SF2.5UL is heavy, I hope it will fly when my FC won't . Even 3-5Mph would be great.

Good Wind Bro ;)

-Mark

• Like 1

Heavy hands and not WANTING to want to make a big move is the problem. Never flown one but it sounds like your inputs on the kite need to be two handed, not just one. Push when you pull, pull when you push. Makes the inputs half as big.

As far as the precision, you'll have to learn to let off your inputs a little earlier. For a loooooonnnnnnngggggg time my MEFM with both spacers in, long top spreader was real squirrly. But after a while of two hand inputs and letting off the input earlier the kite did what I expected it to do. Which is being the most precise trick flying kite at the time. The Bridel might be the difference between the kites too.

I still haven't seen another kite that uses the same bridel the same way as the MEFM.

post-3388-1215993858_thumb.jpg

Dean

• 3 years later...

Jon T's Addiction for about 80.00 bucks. I Love it with a bit stiffer leading edges in mine though. Now it tricks and goes to the wall and back. However I have done a lot more to my Addiction than that and it flies a lot HOTTER now than Stock. "Understand" that my Addiction is made by Premier and not one of Jon T though!~!~!

• 6 months later...
I am going to post a review on the new Premier Jewel. MSRP $59.95.

You might want to have a look at that one as well. The price is amazing for what this kite is able to do.

Any chance of checking out Jon's NIGHTHAWK?...looks interesting...for a few bucks more....especially the poly sail...to keep the NW moisture buggaboo's away? :)

Excellent choice. Smooth, easy to fly, and very trickable. Not a kite to be muscled. Requires a light touch.

• 5 years later...