KiteLife Forum

Time well spent.

Torus34

Took time off this afternoon to check out a new fighter and also to fly 5 old ones. Two of the old kites will be re-bridled to a newer [and simpler] system. The new kite checked out well once the bridle was adjusted.

For about an hour and a half the world contracted to kite and sky. The wind was just gusty enough to remind me that flying a fighter is a co-operative venture between the pilot and the wind.

If you've never built and flown a fighter, please do consider giving it a try. And feel free to contact me with any newbee questions you might have.

Jim

Tottenville

Hi, Dan,

To be honest, I've never flown a fighter kite I didn't build myself. I suspect that the Hoopty would be a fine starting point, but that's based on the say-so of others. Perhaps someone else will comment on this.

Actually, fighters are easy [and cheap!] to make. I've used all sorts of stuff [carbon and fg rods, dowels, model aircraft spruce stock and bamboo [from 'tiki' torches] for the 'bones', paper, ripstop, polyester, tyvek and mylar for the covering] and ended up with kites that flew at least reasonably well. Do take the time to locate [or make] waxed fighter kite string - it makes flying a pleasure. Unwaxed string will tangle on the ground and cause no end of frustration. A home-made spool or hoop will serve just as well as a commercial one, too.

If possible, get hold of a copy of Gallot's book, Fighter Kites. It provides just about everything you need to know to make them. I'd suggest the Indian Square as a good starting design, with 0.08" fg rod for the bow, stiff Tyvek [#10, not #14] for the sail and bamboo, spruce or dowel for the spine. I use #3 crochet thread for bridles. My lines attach to the kite with a fishing snap swivel.

There's lots of information on fighters on the 'net, too.

Fair winds,

Jim

• 2 weeks later...

Dan,

I have built a number of kites in different styles. A good one to start is a dot-2 (plan by Dennis Ische) or a scooter (plan by Bruce Lambert). They are small, and forgiving. I built a ton of these to cut my chops. I used matchstick bamboo (from a cheap blind with hundresd of sticks) for both the spine and bow and plastic sheet on a roll for the skin. All put together with tape and photo-corners (from scrapbooking) to set the bow. As each kite only cost something like 30c, if one was rubbish, or I crashed it, I was not put out. Also the small size made it great for experimenting with decorating methods (paint, applique, etc) as they do not use up too much material. I have graduated to making all sorts of models using all sorts of materials, but some of those early ones are still great in comparison.

Best,

Cam