KiteLife Forum

Away we go!

Torus34

[background sounds of applause, cheers and occasional 'Bravo's . . .]

Wow! Thank you so very much, John. A spot just for kitemakers to get together and chat, discuss problems and solutions and in general share their love of building kites. Heaven on a CRT screen!

Right now I'm in a 'fighter kite' phase. I've just returned to kites after a long absence. One peek in the ol' fighter kite box and I was off and rolling. Several of the old kites have been re-bridled [i use a simple three-leg bridle with lark's heads for adjustments] and one has been re-bowed. I'll be scooting out the door in a few minutes to check the results.

My old kite box is one solid, heavy, pain-in-the-neck-to-put-in-the-car monster. A stop at the local pizza parlor and I was richer by two nice new 18" x 18" pizza boxes. Many fighter kites will fit nicely in each box. I still don't quite know what I'll do for a box for those that are too large to fit, though.

Along with the 'standard' fighters such as the BASF, Hata, Indian and other variation-on-a-square designs, I hope to build and fly bukas and maranhaos [bowed] in the coming weeks. Covering will probably be mylar, secured with rubber cement. The 'bones' will be bamboo split and shaped from 'Tiki torch' stock.

In between the fighters I'll be building some non-standard two-line kites. The first will be a larger version of the Indian Square fighter, probably in ripstop nylon with a diagonal of about 36". I'm still considering the sail design. Something tells me it would be wise to make sure I'll know which corner of the kite is the nose when I'm flying it. A 6" circle or square of fabric in a contrasting color should do the trick.

If you build kites, please do stop by and introduce yourself.

And again, thank you, John. I never in my wildest dreams expected such a response. I'm [almost] speechless!

Jim/Tottenville, NYC