KiteLife Forum

Nexus ? - Quantum ? - Nexus ? - Quantum ?

diggozo

I have just moved to a delightful little island with an amazing 8 km beach that, apart from the summer months, is virtually deserted and so have decided to buy myself a kite.

Diligently I read the 22 pages of this forum's 'Beginner's Questions' and after digesting the information therein decided that the kite for me would be the Prism Quantum until I discovered that it had a medium to strong pull that could create skid marks in the sand ! !

So I thought . . . . Nexus . . . and was just on the point of ordering one when I read on the 'Prism Web Page Forum' that someone was recommending a Quantum as a suitable kite for a six year old who would probably enjoy the pull ! ! !

Please can someone clarify . . . . what sort of a poundage pull is there from a Quantum flying in a 15 kt wind . . . I am a gentle man of venerable years and do not want to find myself being dragged into the sea and heading rapidly eastwards towards Africa ! ! !

Any advice would be much appreciated

Get the Quantum!

It does have more pull than the Nexus but it is a much larger kite. Overall the Quantum flies much better because it is a larger wing, it is easier to learn on and I think the Quantum is more versatile (when advancing your flying into tricks) than the Nexus is.

In the stronger winds you will just keep the kite off to the side of the wind window where it will have much less pull. It is not a power kite so I don't think you will have to worry about it dragging you away and can easily pull it out of the power when you want.

This is of course just my opinion, hope it helps.

If you have strong wind at some point you may wish to go with one of the vented kite's the venting cuts down on the pull .The Nexis is a great little kite for starters but you will soon out grow it if you want to do all the stunts .If how ever you are content to do loop De loos and figure eights than the Nexis would be a good choice and it would save you some $$ So the question is what do want from your a kite ? :) good wind's

• 2 weeks later...

The Quantum is a nice capable starting kite which is tough and virtually unbreakable and capable of many of the beginner type tricks.

It does pull strongly in winds above 10-12 mph , but in the 5 - 12 mph range is an enjoyable kite to fly. (Below 5 mph it is a bit heavy and is difficult to fly).

It wont drag you down the beach in high winds - but it might give you sore shoulders and break a 150lb line!

Durable, nice to fly and good value for money. You will enjoy it.

cheers

steve

Being's your on a beach, I'll assume you don't have a lack of wind. No one's mentioned it yet, but a Revolution B-Series Vented would also be a great kite. Not speaking of price cause I don't know what you can spend, but it's a kite that gives the pilot complete and total control. Hit Mr. Barresi up on it. He'll let you know all you need and want to know as a beginner. I read of people flying on a regular basis of 20+ mph winds weighing about 100 lbs them selves that love it.

Dean :)

• 2 weeks later...

Hey RX. Have you messed around with weighting your quantum? Reason Im asking, is because my spins tend to pinwheel if I pull too sharp. I think my CoG may need some adjustment. Im also having real problems backspinning from a fade position. I think it might be a weighting issue also, but Im not too sure.

Any suggestions, since you are much more cultured with the Quantum than I? ;)

Any advice would be bonus.

Cheers m8

I second the Quantum, when the winds get in the teens, it does pull to much for me, but it is a great beginner kite in the 5 to 12 MPH range.

Most of us end up with several kites for different conditions.

Rx