KiteLife Forum

First day out; and, which ultralight?

gilrain

Hello folks,

My eagerly anticipated Prism Quantum arrived today and, so, despite very light winds, out I drove to a high-school football field to try it right the heck out. I removed the metal clips, assembled carefully, and waited for a bit of wind. I had a great time, despite the wind never creeping above 6 MPH. For the most part, it was between 2 and 4 MPH, with occasional forays into blazing 5 and 6 MPH.

The longest I was able to keep the kite up was about four minutes. I am happy to say I only once crashed through fault of my own. For those few periods of sustained flight, I really felt like I had great control of the kite, and practiced figure eights, snap turns, and squares. I can hardly wait for better wind!

And that brings us to my question. Y'see, the above wind describes about 95% of the days, here in western KY. I look forward to better winds, but they'll be few and far between. Therefore, I feel sure that my next step should be to purchase an ultralight that can fly well in 1 MPH. I mean a practical, real 1 MPH, not an optimistic, factory-rated 1 MPH. The Quantum is rated for 3 MPH, but even with the bridle adjusted for light wind, it only felt steady in 5 MPH.

I don't want to spend more than $100, if it can be helped. If there's a huge jump in quality just above that mark, or whatever, then it might be possible. I won't actually be flying indoors, but the wind around here often amounts to that. What is the best ultralight for the above described conditions in that price range? I want something that will be useful through my beginner phase and right into intermediate and advanced, trick-wise.

Suggestions?

I am looking at the Prism 3D. They say 0-10 MPH. Is that reasonable, or are they exaggerating? The price is about right... is it a good for tricks? Its small wingspan seems suspect, but I don't know much of anything, yet.

Edit: one more thing. I have some 50# spectra on the way. Will that make a noticeable difference, on my Quantum, compared to the 85', 120# factory line? Would that make my Quantum acceptable in 2-3 MPH?

I am looking at the Prism 3D. They say 0-10 MPH. Is that reasonable, or are they exaggerating? The price is about right... is it a good for tricks? Its small wingspan seems suspect, but I don't know much of anything, yet.

Edit: one more thing. I have some 50# spectra on the way. Will that make a noticeable difference, on my Quantum, compared to the 85', 120# factory line? Would that make my Quantum acceptable in 2-3 MPH?

The 3D is a small kite, you may want to look at a bigger sail. You may find a store that still has the discontinued Prism Flashlight (that would be my pick for you).

The New Tech Desire and Flying Wings Acrobatx UL are also in your price range.

From there things get a little more expensive...

I don't think the 50 lb line is going to make a noticeable difference for your Quantum.

Rx

Hmm, maybe it would be a better investment to spend a bit more? I notice the Silver Fox 2.5 UL isn't too bad, pricewise... would it be a better choice? Is it's rated 1 MPH for reals, or generous?

Edit: actually, reading through some very positive comments and reviews about the Desire UL, as well as checking out the videos available, have convinced me it'll be just fine. Thanks for the recommendation!

Heres a tip in the meantime til you get a UL. I also have a Quantum. the 3Mph rating should be about 5-7Mph with the factory "light/Strong Wind" settings they've installed.

Heres what I did to get a little more lift in those lighter winds::

What I did, is cut the "Light Wind" tag from my bridle (please... make sure you dont snip the bridle). Make the cut very close to the bridle and PRECISE!! Then just pull the double larkshead loop loose a bit and slide it over the spot where the tag use to be. If you rest it 'on' the tag, it'll lift in 3Mph winds, and if you slide it just past the tag, it'll fly in 1-2Mph winds. Mind you, you may have to pump just a little if the winds arent steady, but still worth the effort. Slide it too much past that and the kite becomes a little unpredictable hehe.

Also, another tip that helps:::

Your Standoffs. Take the outer standoffs (closest to the wingtip), and move the standoff connectors closer to the spine -- about 2inches away from the inner standoff connectors (MAKE SURE to mark the original position of the SoC if you're not familiar with where they should be on default). I find that it redirects a little of that wind more toward the spine, and it lifts easier, and stays airborne better.

Just test out different positions with the Standoffs.

I was out yesterday in 1Mph winds with my Quantum. Had to pump and walk backwards a little, but still fun nonetheless.

Good Luck :)

Yes, indeed. Turns become more unpredictable. lol Honestly though, I think Prism should redesign that system, and move the light wind tag another inch or so forward. The Quantum is very stable in the adjustments I've listed. But, any more past that and she wants to nerf out. But that inch is the factor in being able to lift in 1-3Mph winds.

Dont try to backspin from a fade though. Nogo with the bridle set forward that much. (nogo period for me anyhow) lol

cheers :)

Oh,, I got so caught up in my own discussion, I forgot the OPs initial post. lol

Im looking to buy a Prism Zephyr for my UL kite. Its a little pricey, but I feel its worth it for what you get.

The Kite

2 Linesets (80#80, 50#50)

Hardshell Case that fits 2 Kites! (selling point for me)

Im gonna look up that Prism Flashlight that rxburner talked about.

RX

Do you know of any online shop offhand that sells the flashlight?

**edit

Found one.

http://www.pictureprettykites.com/stunt-ki...ht/prod_10.html

~J

Hmm, maybe it would be a better investment to spend a bit more? I notice the Silver Fox 2.5 UL isn't too bad, pricewise... would it be a better choice? Is it's rated 1 MPH for reals, or generous?

Edit: actually, reading through some very positive comments and reviews about the Desire UL, as well as checking out the videos available, have convinced me it'll be just fine. Thanks for the recommendation!

I have one of these and I think that they where a bit generous with the one mp it will fly in that range though you may need to walk a bit .It may work better if you have a consistent wind speed which alas I don't get to often. good wind's

• 1 month later...

I have one of these and I think that they where a bit generous with the one mp it will fly in that range though you may need to walk a bit .It may work better if you have a consistent wind speed which alas I don't get to often. good wind's

I have a Desire UL, and it will fly on days when nothing else in my bag can stay in the air. A bonus is that it is not expensive.

Loren

You are RIGHT ON about that....My new Silver Fox 2.5 UL is a reeeeeeeeally nice pleasant kite...but will it truly fly in ONE MPH WIND. Sorry, Only in your wildest dreams and remains as one of the heaviest kites in my kite bag.

Yes...That little Desire UL that I tried out at Cannon Beach was a reeeeallly nice little kite. The wind was virtually nuttin...

However this said, I was flying my old Purple HQ Breeze kite with the funky bridle on 80 ft. of #50lb. spectra. and continued to fly when when the owner of that beautiful little Desire UL was starting to wrap things up.

Noticing that...I had another set of old short #50lb. lines that were now a tad shorter that we hooked up onto his little Desire UL....and WHAT A DIFFERENCE in performance.

During my career as a Boeing Wind Tunnel test model maker...the engineering staff performed some pretty EYE OPENING wind tunnel tests on just how much drag can be produced from small cable line diameters.

These wind tunnel tests were started after a vertical fin from one of the spy in the sky parted ways from that remote piloted aircraft over skies in hostile terriorities.

Not only was the 1/4mile long very expensive small dia multi strand-antenna cable lost but even worse...the loss of a very very expensive pilot-less aircraft and some very very sensitive fact finding information was lost.

Being a competition kite flyer and CLPA stunt model flyer (also see last photo of fellow CLPA duel line flyer, Phil Granderson's model) that ...that also we have to rely on small dia. line sized lines.

From that windtunnel study on line-drag studies, I became quite aware of just how much line weight and dia. sizes can have on flight.

Another Light weight kite in my bag....that was a hoot to fly was this little used EZ light that I paid less than $90.00 at a Cannon Beach kite shop a few years ago...(however I haven't seen these advertised anywhere??? Like the HQ Breeze and this EZ...humm? Gone too soon???

I have a Desire UL, and it will fly on days when nothing else in my bag can stay in the air. A bonus is that it is not expensive.

Loren

post-3459-1219165691_thumb.jpg

post-3459-1219165987_thumb.jpg

post-3459-1219171277_thumb.jpg

post-3459-1219171521_thumb.jpg