KiteLife Forum

dual line to quad line mod

Hi,

I have a very old Flexifoil/Cobra kite's Scorpion dualie. (bought '93)

Scorpion.jpg

Was thinking of modding the bridle to a quad, just to see if it can fly as well as a TC Ultra.

Any ideas how to mod the bridle? Kite's an 8ft wingspan, light wind kite, BEMAN carbon frame.

Cheers

Sorry, don't have info on that kind of bridle myself, but I wanted to say that I've seen it done on the Scorpion specifically.

Brian Vanderslice was very involved with that kite in the early and mid-90s, and he was known for his quad/dogstake performances, as well as his regular ballets.

Sorry, don't have info on that kind of bridle myself, but I wanted to say that I've seen it done on the Scorpion specifically.

Brian Vanderslice was very involved with that kite in the early and mid-90s, and he was known for his quad/dogstake performances, as well as his regular ballets.

Really!? That means its do-able;) Did he use regular Rev handles?

good starting point is to make a 3" pig tail to larks head around the existing bridel at the top spreader. the knot closest to the center of the kite. Same with the lower spreader connection. But make those about 1.5". Add a quarter inch on all of the loops to count for the larks head around the bridle line.

Try it in light wind if you can. See how much the frame as a whole flex's and where. This is going to be a trial and error thing. It should take quite a bit to break anything with the Beaman rods. So there is some tolerance here.

When you find how long the pig tails need to be ( maybe longer with incrimented knots ) then You add a knot just to the inside closest to the upper and lower connection and larks head a line between the two. Keeping a very slight amount of slack when tow points are pulled taught. If you notice the kite wants to flex like it wants to fold in half you might try going from the center T to the middle of the line between the upper and lower spreader.

I have tried going quad on my Prism Ions, Benson Kites Box of Tricks and my moms Allegro. It's cool, but I bet you just end up skipping it in the end and buy a Rev. Something about a dual line kite flying backwards just doesn't seem right ;) You'll see what I mean.

Dean B)

And yes, Rev handles will work. You may need upper and lower pig tails incrementally knotted on the handles to tune it in though.

good starting point is to make a 3" pig tail to larks head around the existing bridel at the top spreader. the knot closest to the center of the kite. Same with the lower spreader connection. But make those about 1.5". Add a quarter inch on all of the loops to count for the larks head around the bridle line.

Try it in light wind if you can. See how much the frame as a whole flex's and where. This is going to be a trial and error thing. It should take quite a bit to break anything with the Beaman rods. So there is some tolerance here.

When you find how long the pig tails need to be ( maybe longer with incrimented knots ) then You add a knot just to the inside closest to the upper and lower connection and larks head a line between the two. Keeping a very slight amount of slack when tow points are pulled taught. If you notice the kite wants to flex like it wants to fold in half you might try going from the center T to the middle of the line between the upper and lower spreader.

I have tried going quad on my Prism Ions, Benson Kites Box of Tricks and my moms Allegro. It's cool, but I bet you just end up skipping it in the end and buy a Rev. Something about a dual line kite flying backwards just doesn't seem right B) You'll see what I mean.

Dean B)

And yes, Rev handles will work. You may need upper and lower pig tails incrementally knotted on the handles to tune it in though.

Hi Dean,

Tried it out with this mod which I found on the internet.

Although it can fly, its still NOT the solution. Able to turn using wrist movement on REV handles, but unable to fly in reverse ;)

I will try out what you have suggested, connecting directly at the point where the original bridle is tied to the frame's upper and lower LE.

Cheers,

Patrick

I'd say just to make a simple quad bridal with two points up near the nose, and the other 2 points down by the wing tips, then try it out, and make adjustments as you go. It will probably end up being a lot of guess-and-check.

Hi Watty,

What do you mean by 2 points?

Patrick

That is the key in flying a dual line kite as a quad line is attaching your lines to the 4 points where the spreaders attach. The length of the loops top and bottom is how you'll tune in more or less brake. (ability to fly back wards) I never got past just the 4 pigtails because my kited never tried folding in half.

Let me know how it works.

Dean ;)

BTW, if I remember correctly, if you are having trouble flying in reverse or even dive stops it's more than likely that the top loops need to be longer. With your handles in the nuetral position, the kite should be standing up and the nose should be slightly layed back from the handles.

That is the key in flying a dual line kite as a quad line is attaching your lines to the 4 points where the spreaders attach. The length of the loops top and bottom is how you'll tune in more or less brake. (ability to fly back wards) I never got past just the 4 pigtails because my kited never tried folding in half.

Let me know how it works.

Dean ;)

BTW, if I remember correctly, if you are having trouble flying in reverse or even dive stops it's more than likely that the top loops need to be longer. With your handles in the nuetral position, the kite should be standing up and the nose should be slightly layed back from the handles.

Hey Dean,

Thanks for the tip, will try it out.

Cheers.

Patrick

• 2 weeks later...