KiteLife Forum

Painting an indoor Rev

Backspin23

I'm looking at getting an indoor rev, but I don't really care for the default colors. So what would be the best way for me to paint it. I was hoping to be able to make it a black background with some blue flames. Penny already gave me some advice on what paint to use, I was just wondering if anyone had some other technique that works good for them

thanks.

jd

• 1 year later...

Craft Master spray paint in the crafts department. Craft master design. Usually it's in the floral section.

I have white kites coming from Lolly, so I can paint those. Love those painted kites!!!

Carl is right that painting over a factory kite is not as good, however, the majority of my paint jobs are over old colors. The black and red rev is the most popular color, but not girly enough for me. So I painted it. I like it, however it is darker in the sky then I wish.

I'd just start ordering white kites. The options are limitless with them.

BB

Penny

Penny, would you by any chance have a container of paint with a website address on it? (for sourcing in Australia.)

It sounds as if it may be like an acrylic vinyl type paint.

I bought a can of what I hoped would be a suitable similar (soft, no heat set, fabric paint), but it fell off the nylon in a big purple puddle.

One more question, the application you use this paint for - is it more for rigid type kites or soft constructions?

Im quite curious to know how the paint handles getting scrunched up/ folded etc.

Janola, I'll try to look on a can of it this weekend and get that info. Yes, you can scrunch the kite up and paint it. You can play with it in water and it's good, too. Some of my kites have become like the horse of a different color. I add or change the colors as needed. Probably not the best idea, but necessary for me.

BB

Penny

• 8 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

JD there is another way. The process is known as Dye Sublimation. You can take any digital image and have it printed onto polyester fabric. It would meen having a special built by Rev. Design master also works very well but it sounds like you need abit more flat coverage from the paint to generate a black back ground.

Scraan printing works but is heavy. Dye sub isn't.

Hope this helps.

If you ask Ben he knows a man that can design it and produce it.

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...
This guys work just astounds me. His name is Scott Hampton.

Here is a link to some of his work.http://picasaweb.google.com/mshampton2 (copy and paste)

My understanding is this is all done with design master paints.

**FlyinKen**

Thanks for posting this! I've been wondering who does these funky cool works!

• 5 months later...
hey Anthony, I think you could request a white in any size. Probably considered a custom kite, but well worth it. Good luck. BB Penny Did I ever look for the addy?

well penny all this time and still trying.. i do want the all white 1.5 version so i can style it up for some night fly action

• 3 months later...
This guys work just astounds me. His name is Scott Hampton.

Here is a link to some of his work.http://picasaweb.google.com/mshampton2 (copy and paste)

My understanding is this is all done with design master paints.

**FlyinKen**

Ken...

WOW! THOSE SHOTS ARE TOTALLY AWESOME...OUTSTANDING....

but where is he located...'

I HAVE A BRAND NEW SILVER FOX MODEL...THAT IS JUST BEGGIN'FOR SOME COLOR!

post-3459-1215657795_thumb.jpg

• 10 months later...

For y'all overseas, Design Master is only one brand. These are silk flower paints. If you go to any floral supply or craft store you should be able to find one of the several brands on the market. The down side is DM has the widest selection of colors.

The wife and I have been working with this stuff since the late 80's early 90's and have taught a class or 2 in it's use. I learned of this technique from a write up on a couple with the last name of Dunton or Dutton out of TX. Sorry can't remember their full names, but it's an article in the old Kitelines. I'm sure it's archived somewhere. They were using these paints to do wonderful whole paintings on large kites. Since I worked more with applique, the wife and I decided to try spray painting panels to be appliqued into a kite design on our fighters, dela portas and tets. I think Don Mock and Carl Crowell was also experimenting with the technique about the same time, unbeknownst to us. We met Scott Hampton about the same time as we were all up in Washington for a Fort Worden kite retreat. Scott was so impressed with the results, he jumped all over it and uses it very, very successfully. B)

Sorry, just reminescing. It happens more often when you're almost a senior citizen. :)

As for the indoor kite, use a dye or get some practice spray painting to get as little paint on the sail as possible. It can go on thick and heavy if you're not careful. For silkscreening, you can't use the usual plastisol as it needs too much heat to cure. Water base inks won't adhere well. There are "special" vinyl inks that can be used and can be air dried or cured at a much lower temperature.

Oh, when appliqueing, consider using a piece of ripstop close to the color you want, then spray paint to enhance or add dimension.

Btw, at one time, Randy Tom tried experimenting with airbrushing with DM paints. Only down side is they're not sold in cans or bottles, He had to spray a bunch in a jar, then load up the brush. He was doing this to achieve better control of the paint spray in doing fine details on some of his work. It turned out to be more work than he had time for, but it did do what he wanted.

A caveat. I've been out of the loop for so long, I may be stuck in a time warp and things may have progressed beyond what I remember. Doesn't help senior moments come more frequently nowdays. :)

For y'all overseas, Design Master is only one brand. These are silk flower paints. If you go to any floral supply or craft store you should be able to find one of the several brands on the market. The down side is DM has the widest selection of colors.

The wife and I have been working with this stuff since the late 80's early 90's and have taught a class or 2 in it's use. I learned of this technique from a write up on a couple with the last name of Dunton or Dutton out of TX. Sorry can't remember their full names, but it's an article in the old Kitelines. I'm sure it's archived somewhere. They were using these paints to do wonderful whole paintings on large kites. Since I worked more with applique, the wife and I decided to try spray painting panels to be appliqued into a kite design on our fighters, dela portas and tets. I think Don Mock and Carl Crowell was also experimenting with the technique about the same time, unbeknownst to us. We met Scott Hampton about the same time as we were all up in Washington for a Fort Worden kite retreat. Scott was so impressed with the results, he jumped all over it and uses it very, very successfully. B)

Sorry, just reminescing. It happens more often when you're almost a senior citizen. :)

As for the indoor kite, use a dye or get some practice spray painting to get as little paint on the sail as possible. It can go on thick and heavy if you're not careful. For silkscreening, you can't use the usual plastisol as it needs too much heat to cure. Water base inks won't adhere well. There are "special" vinyl inks that can be used and can be air dried or cured at a much lower temperature.

Oh, when appliqueing, consider using a piece of ripstop close to the color you want, then spray paint to enhance or add dimension.

Btw, at one time, Randy Tom tried experimenting with airbrushing with DM paints. Only down side is they're not sold in cans or bottles, He had to spray a bunch in a jar, then load up the brush. He was doing this to achieve better control of the paint spray in doing fine details on some of his work. It turned out to be more work than he had time for, but it did do what he wanted.

A caveat. I've been out of the loop for so long, I may be stuck in a time warp and things may have progressed beyond what I remember. Doesn't help senior moments come more frequently nowdays. :)

Wow, great information as well as some history to how some methods came about.. THANKS!

Wow, great information as well as some history to how some methods came about.. THANKS!

Mahalo. :) The "history" is only from my POV. I'm sure there were others, at the time or prior, who've experimented and used spray painting on kite sails. We just kinda helped move the method further along and people are using it with their own variations with spectacular results.

Also, I just wanted to point out some history so others learn that spray painting, dying, even applique are not new. All the present "masters" learned from someone else who learned from someone else and so forth and each proceeding generation of kitemakers enhances and improves these methods in their own unique way. It has been a pleasure, having been a part of that process, and only wish I still had the energy,enthusiasm and drive to keep going. At this point, I only hope I can rekindle some of that spark so I can at least make some kites for my daughter to fly. B)

These Wallyworld kites are really bad. :)

Yes, but we in UK cant get DM. :)

Its made in USA and cant be shipped because of regulations :)

Derek

Hey Wufer..hope you don't mind me stealing from one of your other posts in another forum to help those from outside the US find Design Masters paint.

Elsewhere it is called Oasis! Check it out!

2342017380101221756S600x600Q85.jpg

2789737970101221756S600x600Q85.jpg