KiteLife Forum

REV 1.5 (non-stock) frame

Hi,

Was thinking of changing my REV 1.5 to Skyshark frame, what would be appropriate?

I've changed my REV II to P200 Skyshark, but not sure if it'll work for REV 1.5.

Any inputs appreciated.

Good winds,

Patrick

Sorry, I don't have an answer Patrick.. How is it working with your Rev II? BB Penny

Sorry, I don't have an answer Patrick.. How is it working with your Rev II? BB Penny

Hi Penny, the P200 framed REV II is now one of my kites that gets the most air time!

Although not as fast as stock frame, it flies on much lighter wind, hence my inclination to re-frame the 1.5:)

• 4 months later...

you can use skyshark p2 tapers for light winds they are skinny and are aweet for 0 to 2wind flights.. i dont know but i think the p 200s are close to 4 wraps .. with skysharks however youll have to make your own furrels witch is eazy to do

you can use Skyshark tubes,

but as previously noted they need to be cut down and ferruled. Use 2 part, 5 minute epoxy and clean-out the inside of the tubes first (with a Q-tip and some alcohol to remove the mandrel release agent).

Cut 'em with a dremel and high speed cutting wheel, but first wrap your cutting area with vinyl electrical tape so the spar doesn't splinter. USE eye protection and avoid inhaling the graphite/epoxy dust!!!

Flexibility is one of the advantages to mixing frames, but you may need to experiment.

I recommend you buy the blemished tubes, direct from the manufacturer if they're available. This way they are a couple dollars each and almost disposable.

The ferrule is point 240 (?) and we use a four inch length of solid carbon.

Cut down the center spar to make the proper overall length, epoxy one end to completely dry,

then do the other side and tape it into position until it also dries, since there's no way to release the compressed air pressure created when you slide in the second ferule.

(do the 2nd half several HOURS later to make sure the first end is totally done curing)

We like to slightly round the end of the carbon ferule

so it doesn't pinch the leading edge sleeve during assembly and make abrasion holes.

Skyshark makes a great variety of tubes, multiple wraps and lengths, tapers and straights. go direct and discuss your project needs, Jon Trennepol is a greatly under-used asset and a veteran kite builder. He'd be pleased to assist you.

SS is too flexible JB?,.... come on, how can that be?

Ah sponsorship, I forgot. (wink, wink)

Anyway, just add another tube inside the leading edge sleeve to double up the thickness if necessary. The down-spars can be tapered or straight. Personally I prefer a tapered tube, since the triangular surface area of the sail is so small, why carry extra unnecessary weight there. The ones I like best are "Response 12" (long ago discontinued) but their new "Black Diamond" brother is a smashing success story as well. These are sanded, painted tubes that taper and they are so strong. 2 wraps, 3's and 5's I believe. Sometimes they have super-strong 7 wraps, or was that just a nasty rumor?

The primary reason to use REV tubes is convenience, not some vastly superior performance factors and certainly not at a cost savings either! "Convenience" costs money,.... you will learn more by doing it yourself and experimenting though.

Chasing a lower weight in your kites is the first of many projects to come, enjoy the journey and keep us informed of your progress.

Some really useful info there,

I have used the Skyshark tubes for some while now and they take one heck of a thrashing, have yet to break one on a Rev type kite.

I ferrule mine slightly differently, I only ferrule the outer tubes leaving the central tube without ferrules, it makes for an easier job if a ferrue gives and slides into the tube, just poke it out from the other end, the kite also packs 2in shorter if going into a case for travel.

Avia .240 tube (the nominal o/d in thousands of an inch) works fine for ferrules and might be better for double ferruled tubes, (no air pressure build up)

I just use C/A glue (known as Super glue here) to fix the ferrules and that seems to last plenty long enough.

As for stiffness, I have had no problem with quad kites useing the full length tubes, this makes for a kite that falls between the Rev1 and the 1.5 in size.

I use the P200's for my lighter wind kites, the 300's and 400's tubes I use for any winds we have here.

The tubes are certainly an economic choice here in the UK.