KiteLife Forum

Steve and Shultzie Smokin the Shadow n' Revolution for The Olympics and for World Peace

Shultzie

Here is a few shots from the other day taken at low tide near my Gig Harbor home...at one of my favorite kite flying locations that Ron Potts, Steve Lanier and myself are fortunate enough totake a few moments on the way home once n' a while at low tide.

Wind is usually from the south Southwest which makes for some of the most beautiful smoooooth air around the Seattle Tacoma area..

HOWEVER THE WIND HAS BEEN EXTREMELY HARD TO FIND OVER THE PAST FEW DAYS...

The wind (what wind?) was virtually A BIG FAT ZEEEEEEEEERRRROOOO so it took some really careful tweaking with my HQ Shadow...and short 85 ft.#50lb. lines .

However in contrast...Steve managed to pull off some pretty amazing tricks n' treats that had numerous cars and trucks pulling over on the narrow Purdy Spit road to gawk at Steve and the rest of us of kite-krazeee's.

THE WIND STOPPED DEAD...and while we were sittin around the beach on an old log for the wind to pick up..... I noticed a strange piece of beach wood that had washed up right next to us that resembled an old NW Indian Friendship Peace Pipe.

I grabbed the camera....held it out with my left hand and made a feeble attempt to capture the moment and took this snap shot.

Steve and Ron Potts live up the road across the Spit.....the invitation to stop for a moment and take over the lines for a quick KITE FIX...IS ALWAYS WELCOME.

HEY JOHN!!! IF YOU ARE LURKIN...Steve and I talked about just how talented you were when we were flying competition in the early 90's when you were just a KID and how you just keep gettin BETTA AND BETTER as the years pass. How fortunate that we have dedicated and talented folks like you and so many on this board... that have shared your talents, skills and have GIVEN SO MUCH TO SO MANY KITE-KRAZZEESS all over the globe.

Hummm?

GOTTA GO GANDER AT THE OLYMPICS that starts tonight with a huge ceremony from China.

GADS!

(Shultzie--The Shadow man!

SPORT KITES....SHOULD BE INCLUDED, DON'T YA THINK...INTO THESE GAMES?

post-3459-1218249404_thumb.jpg

post-3459-1218249449_thumb.jpg

post-3459-1218249470_thumb.jpg

post-3459-1218294586_thumb.jpg

:Now that you mention it------------------Trying to light up n' smoke a piece of driftwood that only looked like a pipe----------Hummmm?

Perhaps too many hours of flyin kites...lookin up into the sun and in 90o heat can warp anyones sense of humor n' sanity?

:) rolleyes:

NOT TO VURRY...(like Pres. Clinton) I DIDN'T INHALE...and couldn't get that beachwood pipe lite anyhoo?

Here is a few shots from the other day taken at low tide near my Gig Harbor home...at one of my favorite kite flying locations that Ron Potts, Steve Lanier and myself are fortunate enough totake a few moments on the way home once n' a while at low tide.

Wind is usually from the south Southwest which makes for some of the most beautiful smoooooth air around the Seattle Tacoma area..

HOWEVER THE WIND HAS BEEN EXTREMELY HARD TO FIND OVER THE PAST FEW DAYS...

The wind (what wind?) was virtually A BIG FAT ZEEEEEEEEERRRROOOO so it took some really careful tweaking with my HQ Shadow...and short 85 ft.#50lb. lines .

However in contrast...Steve managed to pull off some pretty amazing tricks n' treats that had numerous cars and trucks pulling over on the narrow Purdy Spit road to gawk at Steve and the rest of us of kite-krazeee's.

THE WIND STOPPED DEAD...and while we were sittin around the beach on an old log for the wind to pick up..... I noticed a strange piece of beach wood that had washed up right next to us that resembled an old NW Indian Friendship Peace Pipe.

I grabbed the camera....held it out with my left hand and made a feeble attempt to capture the moment and took this snap shot.

Steve and Ron Potts live up the road across the Spit.....the invitation to stop for a moment and take over the lines for a quick KITE FIX...IS ALWAYS WELCOME.

HEY JOHN!!! IF YOU ARE LURKIN...Steve and I talked about just how talented you were when we were flying competition in the early 90's when you were just a KID and how you just keep gettin BETTA AND BETTER as the years pass. How fortunate that we have dedicated and talented folks like you and so many on this board... that have shared your talents, skills and have GIVEN SO MUCH TO SO MANY KITE-KRAZZEESS all over the globe.

Hummm?

GOTTA GO GANDER AT THE OLYMPICS that starts tonight with a huge ceremony from China.

GADS!

(Shultzie--The Shadow man!

SPORT KITES....SHOULD BE INCLUDED, DON'T YA THINK...INTO THESE GAMES?

Loved the pictures.. Tell them hello. And ask Steve to tell Rita and Jake hello. :) It's always good to see them. I've got lots of good stories to share about Steve.

Steve is one of those flyer's who can fly with lines the wrong length of lines and not even know it.. He just makes the kite do what he wants. Nice to hear your story. B) Tell everyone hello. BB Penny ~who's playing with grandkids and packing for WSIKF~

Ha, could be... If 98% of the kite fliers didn't require wind of some kind.

Scenario:

Coca-Cola puts up 20K to have the best 50 pilots show up and duke it out for a weekend...

But, let's say there's no wind on competition day.

Honestly, 5-10 of those 50 best in the world would be able to put out a "TV quality" performance.

So, the sponsor, TV crews and organizers would be out 20K and be real short on usable footage.

Not likely we'll ever see kiting in the Olympics, at least until no-wind (or ultra high wind) pilots become more commonplace.

well mabie not the olimpics but how bout x games??? THEY HAVE EVERYTHING!!!

After seeing the opening Ceremony of the Olympics...DID ANY ONE TAKE NOTICE HOW THEY SHOWED THE FLAGS BEING FLYING AND BLOWING STRAIGHT OUT FROM SOME KIND OF WIND MACHINE THINGEE???? :D

Seeing how much techology the Chinese put into the Olympics... I would bet my britches that they could come up with a field area with WIND MACHINES...that one could dial in exactly the wind speed that any kite team or flyer would DIE FOR...

UHHH?

HAS ANYONE TRIED A HELIUM FILLED SPORT KITE FOR THESE WINDLESS DAZE DAZE

While Steve and I were waiting...for the wind to come up AND AFTER TRYING TO SMOKE THAT BEACH WOOD sea weed soaked sudo' OLYMPIC PEACE PIPE...

I HAD THIS VISION OF A NEW KITE??? Hummm? Maybe it was the SEAWEED...and perhaps I DID INHALE? :huh::lol:

post-3459-1218511249_thumb.jpg

That shadow is really sweeeeet! :lol:

Sport kiting ~Should~ be an Olympic Sport, darnit! I mean... freaking table tennis is!?!?! Sport kiting takes so much more skill...

Agreed...

My Shadow was one of the first 5 to arrive here in the US and Kathy Goodwind GLEANED this one for me last year.

I have added an extra brass spacer weight onto the supplied weights for the lower end of the spine, cut the bridle attachpoint and added piggie'-tails with knots at the top spreaders....and carefully re- balance the kite frame...due to the left panel weighed more than the right one???

The kite out of the box....flew with a tad bit of oversteer and was a bit hard to roll up or unroll...from yo-yoddleeees and fade consistancy.

I have done so much TWEAKIN' N' FREAKIN with that kite...NOW, I am not so sure just what seems to make this kite fly so nicely. Perhaps....JUST LIVIN' WITH THIS KITE all this time? Humm, maybe even the rashed and skuffed leading e

dges....just might have made this kite fly betta?

WHY IS IT ...THAT MOST KITES IN MY BAG OF CRAPPOLA...NEVER SEEM TO FLY LIKE I LIKE THEM..UNTIL THEY HAVE BEEN BASHED N' SAND RASHED, USED AND LIGHTLY ABUSED?? :huh::D

Ever since flying my BADBOY TRIBALS...I HAVE LOVED TRIBLE THEMES not only for sport kites but for sport bikes...

check out this mod job

Naw...I still love the original HQ SHADOW fade colors...best of all

post-3459-1218512433_thumb.jpg

untitled.bmp

WHY IS IT ...THAT MOST KITES IN MY BAG OF CRAPPOLA...NEVER SEEM TO FLY LIKE I LIKE THEM..UNTIL THEY HAVE BEEN BASHED N' SAND RASHED, USED AND LIGHTLY ABUSED?? :lol::D

You've broken them in just the way you want to? ;)

I think I like the Black & Red shadow better actually. Tribal stuff looks so great on kites! :huh:

As for the Olympics... Great insight on event and competition workings, JB! You've been there, so you should know!!! :D It's high time someone invented a wind stadium tho...

I have to agree with Ant too. I think we'd have to be satisfied having Sport Kiting as being an XGame and that's not such a bad thing I think! :huh:

As for the Olympics... Great insight on event and competition workings, JB! You've been there, so you should know!!! :D It's high time someone invented a wind stadium tho...

I have to agree with Ant too. I think we'd have to be satisfied having Sport Kiting as being an XGame and that's not such a bad thing I think! :huh:

THANKS JOHN! RIGHT ON!....After checking that post about the INDOOR KITE EVENTS you posted this morn even makes more sense that the Olympics

SHOULD HAVE KITE FLYING...WIND OR NO WIND.

THANKS JOHN! RIGHT ON!....After checking that post about the INDOOR KITE EVENTS you posted this morn even makes more sense that the Olympics

SHOULD HAVE KITE FLYING...WIND OR NO WIND.

Stirr in a little choro and this should make for a real crowd pleaser?

I like the Olympics idea but agree JB as far as that large an event. But one place, I bet an inroad could be made is on TV, ie, American Idol. I bet a good indoor flyer with a musical ear and creativity would knock their socks off. Most of the viewers wouldn't believe it would be possible to fly a kite indoors, much less to music.

Charlie