KiteLife Forum

My new kite stake

LS Kite Stakes

Had a light bulb go off in my head the other day, and followed the thought through with action. I made a kite stake with a large 42mm marble, after machining a polished aluminum "cup" to epoxy it onto. I pressed a 12 inch 1/4" metal rod into the bottom of the cup. Here is pictures of the result:

100_0785.jpg

100_0786.jpg

I can make more of these, and have all kinds of colors and styles available with the marbles. The one pictured has a plain steel rod, but I intend to make future stakes with polished stainless rods. This stake is made with a machine made glass marble, I can get handmade marbles as well, but will cost more. Cost is $25 USD, including USPS Priority shipping to CONUS. I need time to get the matierials, so it will take me about two weeks to have some ready. I have a small home shop and would like to make a little extra $$ to support my kiting habit! If anyone wants one let me know, I would also love to make a business arrangement with any of the kite shops if they are interested as well. I can easily make a dozen or so a week, no two will be the same!

B)

Comments, suggestions?

• Like 2

Here is the latest news.

I am going ahead with a initial production run of 25 stakes. I have a assortment of 42mm marbles, 1/4" stainless rod, and shipping materials on order. I have some 6061 T6 aluminum bar that I will start machining parts from this weekend. I hope to have some finished for the Whidbey Island Kite Festival. I will put notice up here when I have them ready, and will be posting some onto the 'bay as well. Members of KiteLife will get free USPS Priority shipping!

Here is the latest news.

I am going ahead with a initial production run of 25 stakes. I have a assortment of 42mm marbles, 1/4" stainless rod, and shipping materials on order. I have some 6061 T6 aluminum bar that I will start machining parts from this weekend. I hope to have some finished for the Whidbey Island Kite Festival. I will put notice up here when I have them ready, and will be posting some onto the 'bay as well. Members of KiteLife will get free USPS Priority shipping!

well as you can see im a member so im in for one of them on e bay .. cant wait untill you get them going

I have gotten the first 12 stakes done this afternoon, they have turned out very nice. The rods are 304L .250 inch Stainless, 12 inches long with a blunt point. The rods and "cups" (made from 6061 T6 aluminum) are polished and almost look like chrome. I will be taking them to the kite festival at Whidbey Island tomorrow, Saturday, to see what people think of them and see if I can sell some. I am still waiting on shipping boxes, (on backorder) so I am as of yet unable to ship them out to anyone who buys them from me here. I also want to get a better color selection of marbles, the ones I received in an assortment were all dark colored. Here is some pics!

100_0798.jpg

100_0787.jpg

does the sleeve in the second picture come with the stack as well??

Unfortunately, that is my own sleeve, and I am unable to produce those due to no sewing machine. That particular sleeve is made from a dog leash and was hand sewed with needle and thread, took me several hours to finish.

The latest news is the special boxes have finally shipped! They are supposed to be at my doorstep on Monday, September 29th. I should also have some more marbles of different colors at that time as well! I have been busy in my shop making parts, I am planning on going to the Lincoln City Kite fest 3 weeks from now, and want to have a few on hand for that as well as shipping out stakes to those who want them here.

• 6 months later...

Be sure to check out my website. I haven't updated this thread in a while, I have holsters and set wholesale prices for kite stores. Several kite stores, including one in Spain, have brought my kite stakes in. PM me for more information if interested, these are so much nicer than a ordinary golf ball kite stake.

Will be releasing a couple new products in the coming weeks!

• 4 years later...

I love my stake and will buy another one. I opted for the more expensive stake with a "designer" marble made by a family well known for glass blowing in West Virginia. I actually researched this after corresponding with Walt. Goofy I know, but I love my unique stake and colorful item. Worth every penny to me. And Made in America.

• Like 1

Hey All!

JB let me know I needed to stop by. Kiting history, funny.

Use a metal polish like silver/brass polish, that will brighten up your handles and stakes.

I had the chance for some one on one with my webmaster, and learned a bunch about making a website. I am COMPLETLY redoing it, and it is almost done. I am missing good stock photos of some of my products, and I have a bit more content to add, but you will see I have expanded my line up by a little bit.

But how about a sneak peek for my fellow KiteLife members?

http://kitestakes.com/newsite/

Enjoy!

• Like 6