KiteLife Forum

how much wind is???

streetrat

First, you're shouting (using all caps) :D

Second, too much wind, why are you flying? Generally winds over 20 take a bit of the finesse out of flying, you're in the survival mode. You're kite is at risk, if you have minimal control, others are probably at risk too. Depends on your skill level and if you're being dragged, I doubt you're in control.

Third, if you're bragging about flying in 25 plus, yep, you lived to tell about it, hope your kites survived. Some kites are made for high winds, design, screens, wind brakes, etc. I have two higher wind kites, an Alien and a Yin-Yang, plus a vented kite, I don't find it fun to fly in over 20, so I don't.

A rule of thumb that I use, when the tips of the leading edge's start to vibrate (flap), then the max wind speed has been exceeded for that particular kite. In my experience, that is the only real clue you get that your kite has past it's max ability and will soon self-destruct.

Being dragged by a kite does not mean it's at it's maximum wind velocity. Nor does the amount of 'finesse' required reflect a max wind velocity. When those limits are reached, well, they are YOUR limits, not the kites.

In general most standard dual line kites tend to max out at around 25 mph.

But, in short, if you like flying, and have not seen any negative affects to your kite (cracked spars, overly-stretched sail, holes), then just keep on doin what you be doin :D:D

Cheers,

P.

I think it has to do with what you are trying to achieve during your flight. If you are attempting to do slack line stunts, then yes, anything over 15 mph could be considered too much wind unless you are flying kites that are designed for high winds (vented etc...), even then they are quite difficult to achieve (for me and my current skills anyway). If you are wanting to be dragged across the park, then 15+ is not too much wind as long as your kite is designed to handle the force. I personally won't fly in anything over 30 mph and that is my recomendations to everyone that asks. If the wind is that high then find a good TV station and wait until the wind drops because the risks and dangers are too great, you will probably end up hurting yourself, someone else, or damaging your gear. Your flying skills do play a lot in stronger winds, a skilled pilot can usually handle more wind than a beginner. As stated before in this post you have a good chance of destroying your kite, stretching your sail beyond repair, or hurting yourself or others if you fly in winds that are too strong for your abilities and equipment. I also agree 100% with hvkmike that you better have some good quality lines! :D

We just spend the weened out at Ivanpah dry lake bed in winds averaging 20-25 mph and had an awesome time boarding and buggying, everyone was flying 1.5 to 2.5 meter kites and the speed runs were hair raising for sure. Being dragged along at high speed can be a real adrenaline rush and in strong winds even more so. :D Make sure that you don't over do your skills and equipment and make sure that you have plenty of clear room around you in case something does go wrong. Be safe and you will be able to kite another day.

• 4 weeks later...

It would be nice if there was a standard force scale in kite flying.

As a half ex yachtie (still sail occasionally) I tend to measure wind in knots. mph means, well frankly I'm not even sure what a mile is anymore.

0-5 knots: is anything from a whisper, zephyr, to a breeze enuf to make wavelets

5-10 knots: great small to mid kite range wavelets to just beginning on form, to get lil horses on the water

10-15. (great sailing weather) and great for any kite that you've ever flown on an inshore breeze.

15-20. great breeze to getting gusty. not so nice.

anyhthing above that- well madness.

Windspeed conversion table

Bft MPH km/h Knots Name Description

0 <1 <1 <0.54 Calm

Sea: Like a mirror

Near Land: Calm

On land: Smoke rises vertically

Kiters: Grrrr...

1 1-3 1-5 0.54-2.97 Light air

Sea: Ripples with appearance of scales no foam crests

Near Land: Small sailboat just has steerage way

On land: Smoke drift indicates wind direction vanes do not move

2 4-7 6-11 2.97-6.21 Light

Sea: Small wavelets crests of glassy Breeze appearance, not breaking

Near Land: Winds fill the sails of small boats which then travel at 1 - 2 knots

On land: Wind felt on face; leaves rustle vanes begin to move

3 8-12 12-19 6.21-10.53 Gentle

Sea: Large wavelets; crests begin to break, Breeze scattered whitecaps

Near Land : Sailboats begin to heel and travel at about 3-4 knots

On land : Leaves, small twigs in constant motion; light flags extended

4 13-18 20-28 10.53-15.39 Moderate

Sea: Small waves 0.5 - 1.25 meters high, Breeze becoming longer; numerous whitecaps

Near Land : Good working breeze, sailboats carry all sails with good heel

On land : Dust, leaves, and loose paper raised up; small branches move

5 19-24 29-38 15.39-20.79 Fresh

Sea: Moderate waves of 1.25 - 2.5 m. Breeze taking longer form; many whitecaps; some spray

Near Land: Sailboarts shorten sail

On land: Small trees in leaf begin to sway

Kiters: Probably too much wind for most people

6 25-31 39-49 20.79-26.73 Strong

Sea: Larger waves 2.5 - 4 meters forming; Breeze whitecaps everywhere, more spray

Near Land: Sailboats have double-reefed mailsails

On land: Larger branches of trees in motion; whistling heard in wires

Kiters: Not for the weak of heart.

7 32-38 50-61 26.73-33.21 Near gale

Sea: Sea heaps up, waves 4 - 6 m; Gale white foam from breaking waves begins to be blown in streaks

Near Land: Boats remain in harbor; those at sea heave-to

On land: Whole trees in motion; resistance felt in walking against wind

8 39-46 62-74 33.21-40.23 Gale

Sea: Moderately high (4 - 6 m) waves of greater length; edges of crests begin to break into spindrift; foam is blown in well-marked streaks

Near Land: All boats make for harbor, if near

On land: Twigs and small branches broken off trees; progress generally impaired

Kiters: Probably shouldn't be out

9 47-54 75-88 40.23-47.79 Strong gale

Sea: High waves (6 m); sea begins Gale to roll; dense streaks of foam; spray may reduce visibility

On land : Slight structural damage occurs; slate blown from roofs

Kiters : Get off the beach and take cover.

10 55-63 89-102 47.79-55.35 Storm

Sea: Very high waves (6 - 9 m) with overhanging crests; sea takes a white appearance as foam is blown in very dense streaks; rolling is heavy and visibility is reduced

On land: Seldom experienced on land; Trees broken or uprooted; considerable damage occurs

11 64-72 102-117 55.35-63.44 Violent storm

Sea: Exceptionally high (9-14 m) waves; Storm sea covered with white foam patches; visibility still more reduced

On land: Very rarely experienced on land; usually accompanied by widespread damage

12 73+ 118+ 63.44+ Hurricane

Sea: Air filled with foam; waves over 14 meters; sea completly white with driving spray; visibility greatly reduced

Kiters : Perfect time to try out that new stack of Flexi's. :-)

Interpetation of the weather channel forcast:

5-10 mph.. nothing

10-15 mph something

15-20 mph wind!

20 mph + vented kites needed.

Bring equipment for all weather. Our clean and rain forcast almost had us snowed in at the ocean! No one mentioned snow and it was the first time it had stuck there in 21 yrs. according to the locals.

BB

Penny

Heaven help me, don't want to work in miles, but your interpretation sound similar to knots, 10-20 mph is generally ok for something.

Will need to take a print out of yours Craft - that must've taken some work - a handy reference.

I pick options 2-4

:huh: