KiteLife Forum

A newbie at 68yo!!!

leteus

Hi to all that read this.

It must be 30+ years since I flew a kite (Peter Powell).........how things have changed.

I would appreciate some input before I go and get another to un-confuse me. :confused!:

Firstly, I'm retired now and wanted something to interest me, get me out of the house and some exercise to boot.

Working on the assumption that your never to old to learn, a kite seemed to be the answer. So I read and looked and read

some more, trouble is that the more I read the harder it got to come to a sensible conclusion.So here I am and here goes!

Single line kites hold no interest at all and power kiting I don't think is for me (unless I fancy spending time in a wheelchair!).

So that leaves dual and quad line kites and precision rather than out and out tricking, something larger rather than smaller.

I'm based in the NW of the UK, average wind speed here is 10-15mph, although today there isn't a breath and although I'm only

40 minutes drive from the coast, most of my flying would be inland with attendant variable winds.

The Quads (revolution etc) I find fascinating with the control available, but wonder whether I would cope with the needed control?

Dual line seems perhaps an easier route........am I wrong?

One thing that does confuse me somewhat is the rated wind speed of any of the kites I.E Prism Quantum/hypnotist (3/5-25mph),

Rev1 (3-20mph), Rev 1.5 SLE (4-20mph), yet reading the forums nobody says yes it can be flown happily at the max speeds shown,

in fact most comments seem to say best in 8-12mph or something similar. So can these kites fly in the winds indicated or not?

My question may seem a little picky, but if I get Quantum and it comes to it can I fly in 25mph winds or a Rev1 in 20mph?

I do appreciate that kites come in all shapes and sizes to suite personal preferences and conditions, but my budget won't run to a light,

moderate, high wind selection of kites.

I suppose if I'm honest the Rev's do appeal, but are they outside of my abilities and I can well believe that they are addictive :)

Sorry if the above reads like the epistle to St Paul and yes ultimately only one person can make a decision.....me, but some input would really

be appreciated.

Terry

Revolution sounds like the kite you should look into. Don't worry bout the four lines, I find it is actually easier to learn quad line first, then dual line. If you learn the dual line first you have to un-learn the push-pull and re-learn the quad which is a little different.

Quad line flying to me is a lot easier than duals because you have so much more control with the kite while it is flying. Also, if you are going to crash you can just stop the kite, turn it around and put it back in the air. Also if you do hit the ground, relaunching the Revolution is much easier to do and you have much less time walking and resetting the kite like you do on a dual line. If you purchase the full package on the Rev, it comes with a training DVD that is awesome. Teaches you everything from pulling the kite out of the bag, to hooking up your lines, first flights, and even troubleshooting tips.

I am positive you would not regret getting a Rev. Plus there are tons of people on here to give you advice should you need it.

I think you might like the versatility of the Revs. They can be flown either with delicacy and precision, indoors or out, or for speed and power. The style of flying is entirely up to you once you learn the basics. Plus you get the benefit of a great community of folk who love to help. :)

Thanks to all for the replies............Now more questions!

Assuming I go the revolution route............

I seem to have the following options:-

Rev EXP.............think the wind range to narrow for here.

Rev 1.5 SLE........ If max quoted usable wind speed is usable then this seems to be OK.

Rev 1......... If max quoted usable wind speed is usable then this seems to be OK.

Best of all would seem to be the "B" series vented or non vented (but this is expensive in the UK approx $370 with lines) although the advantage of 2 frames appears to be a big seller.

So the 2 choices seem to be 1.5 SLE or Rev1 (the 1.5 is available here vented and non vented, but only the Non vented version of the Rev1)

What I am still finding confusing is that the quoted wind range of the Rev 1.5 SLE is 4-25mph, the Rev1 2-25mph, both with the std LE fitted, where as the "B" series non vented with alternative framing covers 3-20mph, so what are the advantages and disadvantages across the 3 types, when in theory a Rev1 has a better range with the 1.5 SLE almost the same?............is it purely down to different handling characteristics.

If anyone can compare the 1.5 SLE and the Rev1 for me I would be grateful and possibly throw a "B" series comment in as well.

I'm sure that if I studied all of the forum posts I should be able to form my own opinion, but some of it seems very technical and I think that all that will happen is that I end up having sleepless nights trying to decide by myself.

I know from reading the forum posts that everyone on here seems to be very helpful and obliging, but I don't wish to be a pain in the butt any more than I need to be!

Thank you.

Terry

Hi Terry,

I have only been flying for the last three years on dual line trying to do the tricking thing. I really do enjoy this better than just circles. Two years ago I watched iQuad do their thing with the REVs. Very kool :D John Barresi and his group made it look so easy :)

I did buy a solid sail REV 1.5 SLE, and then next year John came out with the Bseries. It did take a day to catch on but I really do love flying it. I also bought the smaller race rods to be able to fly in less than 2mph winds. However, with the solid sail I would only fly it up to 10 to 12 mph winds in the center of the wind window. I just bought a B series 1.5 vented in June. I can actually fly this, and I'm not the greatest, in 3mph and up 20mph with no problems. I think the control of the vented is much better in the mid to upper wind speeds and you get the different rods with it to mix and match for the wind speed.

Everyone I have met flying has more than one kite. I actually have 12 but really only fly maybe 5 or 6 mostly because of the changes in the wind. The wind speed is something you will learn as you go and know what you like. If I was to pick I would go with the vented REV Bseries. For upper winds you can't go wrong, and the people watching that don't fly will think you are a master of flight cuz it just looks KOOL :dizzy:

There are a lot of kites out there and it sounds like you have done your research homework very well. You picked a great media to bounce things off and this group is just great about giving some very fine advice and sharing their experiences with the new flyers.

Have fun flying what ever you decide :)

Well I am in a similar position. Turning 66 soon. Started flying 3 years ago. I love two line kites both indoor and outdoors. To me it is a great workout. A lot better than a treadmill. I also took up REV flying. Both are fun. I feel like I will be able to fly REVs for a long time but dual lines will eventually wear me out. I will continue with dual lines until I can't.

If you get two REV 1.5's you will be able to fly in any wind conditions. A standard with Race rods from about 1 or 2 mph up to about 10. A vented with Race Rods from about 7 to 20. Slide in 4 wrap rods from about 17 to it is too windy to fly. You will find the REV vented is acutally a pleasure to fly at high wind speeds. It is very good at the low 20's.

Being retired you get to fly a lot and as a result you should be able to conquer the REV pretty quickly. I was able to teach my wife to fly a REV in about 30 min. She is pretty good with the basics. It does not take long to learn how not to crash.

The reason for the 1.5 is that is the most popular and you can easily join in on mega flys and other team flying. That is one of the most fun aspects of REV flying. Standing in a line with 5, 10, 15 people making pretty in the sky and laughing and enjoying each other's company is a great pay day for learning how to fly.

So you need two kites and two rod sets and you are covered for about anything. Get some 120 foot lines, and maybe a 50 foot line set for small areas. If you are going to go for dual line and quad line both. Do the quad line first so you don't have to get a lobotomy to go from dual to quad. It is much easier to go from quad to dual.

Have fun

Welcome to the forum Terry. You do have some company on that side of the pond, there are quite a few Rev fliers on your island. I would say get a 1.5 SLE if you cannot afford a B series, and get the 3 wrap leading edge (one center and two ends) as well for your initial investment. Find your local Rev fliers and meet them for a flying session. They can help show the ropes on setting up the kite, unwinding and attaching the lines, and helping you with your first launch. You will also learn about the different rods, types of kites, line legnths, and when to use what. Check out the forum at revkites.com, The official Revolution site. There is quite a few fun-loving peeps from the UK that is very active on that forum, and they are always looking for new fliers to meet up with.

Hi Terry,

If you have NO patience, get a dual string.

If you want a continued challenge, great control (with pracitce) and laugh out loud fun that will help you stay young, then the Rev is the absolute best kite out there. Don't p/u the Rev I. It is the first and the wind range will not be near as good as the 1.5 Standard, EXP or John B. whatever you can afford. Those are 3 different price ranges. You'll need a little bit of patience. but don't pray for it, or God will test you with tangled lines.

BB

Penny

Hi to all that read this.

It must be 30+ years since I flew a kite (Peter Powell).........how things have changed.

I would appreciate some input before I go and get another to un-confuse me. :confused!:

Firstly, I'm retired now and wanted something to interest me, get me out of the house and some exercise to boot.

Working on the assumption that your never to old to learn, a kite seemed to be the answer. So I read and looked and read

some more, trouble is that the more I read the harder it got to come to a sensible conclusion.So here I am and here goes!

Single line kites hold no interest at all and power kiting I don't think is for me (unless I fancy spending time in a wheelchair!).

So that leaves dual and quad line kites and precision rather than out and out tricking, something larger rather than smaller.

I'm based in the NW of the UK, average wind speed here is 10-15mph, although today there isn't a breath and although I'm only

40 minutes drive from the coast, most of my flying would be inland with attendant variable winds.

The Quads (revolution etc) I find fascinating with the control available, but wonder whether I would cope with the needed control?

Dual line seems perhaps an easier route........am I wrong?

One thing that does confuse me somewhat is the rated wind speed of any of the kites I.E Prism Quantum/hypnotist (3/5-25mph),

Rev1 (3-20mph), Rev 1.5 SLE (4-20mph), yet reading the forums nobody says yes it can be flown happily at the max speeds shown,

in fact most comments seem to say best in 8-12mph or something similar. So can these kites fly in the winds indicated or not?

My question may seem a little picky, but if I get Quantum and it comes to it can I fly in 25mph winds or a Rev1 in 20mph?

I do appreciate that kites come in all shapes and sizes to suite personal preferences and conditions, but my budget won't run to a light,

moderate, high wind selection of kites.

I suppose if I'm honest the Rev's do appeal, but are they outside of my abilities and I can well believe that they are addictive :)

Sorry if the above reads like the epistle to St Paul and yes ultimately only one person can make a decision.....me, but some input would really

be appreciated.

Terry

Thank you all again for the replies.

Penny, I think that I have the patience, as for the line tangles I suspect that I'll have enough of that without heavenly intervention :)

From what every one is saying would the following range of alternatives make sense to those that know??

1.5 SLE non vent (4-25mph)-----------plus 3 wrap or 2 wrap (which, if any) to increase lower wind range?

1.5 SLE vent (10-20mph)---------------plus 3 wrap or 2 wrap (which, if any) to increase lower wind range?

"B" series non vent (3-20mph)---------plus 4 wrap to increase upper wind range, but will this increase pull to much?

"B" series vent (5-45mph)-------------plus 2 wrap to increase lower wind range?

Some expert eye casting on the above and a little more reading the forums and I might be ready to reach for my wallet,

providing the moths don't get there first!

Again, thanks to all of you................haven't seen any posts here or on the Revolution site forum from anyone in my neck of the woods!

Terry

Terry...

You sound like me. Less than a year ago (at 60) I bought my first dual, then my second, third, and on and on, never thinking I could master a quad. Then I bit the bullet and bought my first Rev 1.5 quad... and I'm hooked. My last purchase was a Barresi 1.5 which I fly as many days a week as the winds will allow. I am a newbee, but I'm slowly learning some of the tricks.

As another replier stated, (as I discovered too late) it's easier to learn on a quad right off the bat than to unlearn two lines and re-learn the quad 4-line handles and system.

Now I have a bag full of duals that seldom leave the bag.

Flying solo I find that the quad is so easy to manuver that I don't have to reset the kite as you often have to do with the dual. It's a much easier kite to fly when you are flying solo. (Ofcourse you get more excersize running back and forth setting up the dual). But, I hate THAT much excersize!

It took me a couple of days and a whole lot of patience to get the quad to stay in the air (all it wanted to do was rise, turn, and crash). Now it's hard to belive it was so difficult. Beginners advise... a tiny movement will make all the difference whether or not it'll stay up and do what you wish it to do.

Anyway... Good luck to you... and get a Barresi Rev 1.5 or a Barresi mid-vent (on my wish list)... you'll never be disapointed. Then join the club of Quad-Kiteoholics like me!

Have fun!

Jynx

Thank you all again for the replies.

Penny, I think that I have the patience, as for the line tangles I suspect that I'll have enough of that without heavenly intervention :)

From what every one is saying would the following range of alternatives make sense to those that know??

1.5 SLE non vent (4-25mph)-----------plus 3 wrap or 2 wrap (which, if any) to increase lower wind range?

1.5 SLE vent (10-20mph)---------------plus 3 wrap or 2 wrap (which, if any) to increase lower wind range?

"B" series non vent (3-20mph)---------plus 4 wrap to increase upper wind range, but will this increase pull to much?

"B" series vent (5-45mph)-------------plus 2 wrap to increase lower wind range?

Some expert eye casting on the above and a little more reading the forums and I might be ready to reach for my wallet,

providing the moths don't get there first!

Again, thanks to all of you................haven't seen any posts here or on the Revolution site forum from anyone in my neck of the woods!

Terry

Seems as if a good many of us UK fliers have been on the planet some time, bit like The Last of the Summer Wine about here some days, and just as much nonsense, one of the fella's is aiming to be the UK's best 80 year old Rev flier, he will make it.

Sounds as if you are in Big Bri's bit o' Britain, he posts on the Rev forum, along with his mates he flies at Ainsdale beach among other places, check out the Northern Kite Group site for info on who is who up in the dark distant north.

B series is the way to go, and the vent will get the most use in the UK, full kite wind ranges come as you gain experience, it gets a lot easier to fly in light and heavy winds after a while.