KiteLife Forum

Need help choosing two line kite

Rae

Hello,

I'm trying to choose a kite for a gift. We are relative beginners to kite flying but I know that my husband, in particular, is a little bored with single line kiting and is interested in trying out dual line. My problem is, I'm having trouble choosing what to get. I'm looking at (something like) the Prism Nexus/Jazz or an airfoil such as the Symphony 1.4. Can you please give me your thoughts on these? How easy are they to launch and fly? How about assembly? How do they handle erratic winds? Which can "grow" with him more?

Any input you could give would be really, really helpful.

Thanks so much in advance!

All the best,

Rachel

The Prism Nexus and Jazz are excellent kites for beginners, not to expensive and very fun to fly. If you are serious about kiting though, I think you will be in the same boat as your single lines and will become bored with the Nexus and Jazz over time. They're great for figure 8's, loops and stuff but that is pretty much their limit on things to do. Pretty much the same thing with the foil, great for loops & figure 8's and can have some pull in stronger winds but that's about it.

I would highly suggest a slightly larger winged kite that has more capability like the Quantum, Hypnotist or the E2. These kites are a bit more than the Nexus or Jazz but can do so much more...and are easier to fly. The Hypnotist and E2 are highly suggested because those two models come complete - ready to fly and also include the Freestyle Pilot DVD - an instructional DVD that will show you all the basics such as stalls and ground recoveries (when you accidentally crash) and can show you a ton of advanced tricks such as the Flick Flack, Axle, Lazy Susan, Coin Toss, Jacobs Ladder, Yo-Yo's and others. The Hypnotist and E2 are very capable of doing many of the newer school tricks where the Jazz and Nexus are a lot tougher to trick on.

The Quantum is a great kite and a bigger wing and is also capable of doing a ton of tricks, but it doesn't include the DVD.

We have a ton of new pilots on the Hypnotist and they love the kite. The Hypnotist also has a bungee designed tail section that helps prevent broken rods when you accidentally crash it in the ground - a bonus for new pilots.

Hope this helps.

Hi RAE

There is a Great little light weight kite that I have done a write up on, on this sight. It is the premier ADDICTION, and it runs anywhere from about 60.00 to 80.00 dollars, pending on where you get it... I have Two of these kites and one was Modified by Harbor Wind who has Advertising on this sight etc.

I have been FLYING Prism for YEARS and have almost every one of thier Top of the line kites. A LOT of People will swear by the company. However in my 25yrs of flying there have been Nicer and Cheaper, Easier to trick and flip around kites in the "Low End" of the spectrum. This is one of those little kites. It does not come with the previous mentioned video.

However it is a Wonderful Kite to fly and is Durable as all can be!!! From that 5MPH to 20 MPH winds.

ED

I agree with Fast Eddy, the Addiction is an awesome kite. A couple other models you might want to look at from Premier as well...

The Widow

The Wolf

and The Jewel.

These three kites are from the new Spider Series designed by Jon Trennapohl, same designer as the Addiction and Nighthawk (another incredible kite). The Jewel impressed me a ton with it's ability to trick and what it was capable of doing for very little expense. As mentioned though, none of these kites come with the training DVD, but they are all well worth looking into.

Hope this helps.