KiteLife Forum

Windless With Watty

Spence Watson

For those of you who don't know, I am making tutorial videos. These videos are all trick tutorials for flying a Revolution Kite indoors. Well, I just got the first one finished and uploaded for all of you to enjoy.

Toss and Catch:

Pancake:

Axel:

Fade:

Sweep:

Whip-Lash:

Guillotine:

THE END

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Very nice :D You make it look easy. I have not flown indoors yet. I hope to purchase an indoor REV soon. You mentioned you used 5ft lines for that tutorial. I do fly a REV Std & Vented outdoors but for an indoor beginner what length lines would you recommend?

Again very nice job on the tutorial and I can't wait to see you do more. Well done :matrix:

Everything would be the same for the most part. The last toss would be possible, but more difficult as the lines get longer.

Perhaps, or the catch might be a little different, especially on the indoor rev.

Check it out. 15 ft. of line and a pull down? or let it fall a little and pull down..check it out..

BB Penny

I don't think I will end up taking the time to redo this video with longer lines. The information given should be enough for a person to figure it out regardless of line length. Maybe when I run out of ideas for videos, I may go back and redo some.

Fair enough. lol And I'll message you rather then forum, so people don't think I'm picking on you.

Just be careful if it's a tutorial and not just a blog, that you check what you tell them. With out a little fall down from the kite, they might not find the catch on long lines. In the end the little moves matter.

Looking forward to the next one. xoxox Penny

• 2 weeks later...

Watty, another great tutorial...

Three suggestions:

1. Re-release the video, without musical accompaniment... It's very distracting (in my opinion), you're a great teacher and I don't think you need the background.

2. It's not royalty free music which will eventually be an issue, especially if we include them in the Kitelife archives.

If you prefer to use music in the videos, here is a good royalty free music source, just include "Music: Kevin MacLeod" in the video. ;)

3. Use a clearer, simpler font for text overlay... I can't easily make out what I assume is "8' lines".

Again, great job, just some input from my own experiences. :wacko:

Thank you John. When I find time, I will go through and make some editing changes to the videos. I should be able to do it tomorrow, but I'm not sure.

Do you think the music could just be turned down, or should it be completely deleted except for during the titles? My main reason for including the music is because there was a bit of white noise in the audio that could be easily heard without the music.

Thank you John.

Watty,

Thanks for taking the time to make these videos. For folks like me who are miles from the nearest talent, they are nothing less than great.

I also want to complement you on how interested you are in improving the vids ... accepting any critique of your work is difficult, but you've presented a very positive attitude both on the forum and privately in PMs.

Attaboy and keep them coming,

Tom

Well, these videos are for anyone willing to learn. If I don't do my best to make the learning as efficient as possible, then I feel like I am leaving a job half done.

I have seen so much generosity in the few years that I have been involved in the kiting community, and I feel that I must do my part.

Watty, Kewl video.. I thought you called that the flicflac? Pancake? lovely. lol That's themove I was working on.

Ok, I'm doing that move a little better. Still stomping my foot and the moveing forward part is important to me.

Good job.. I've watched it several times already.

BB Penny~

Well, the reason I call it a pancake is because in my mind, a flic-flak involves the kite becoming completely inverted, while a pancake involves the kite simply going flat (parallel to the floor). Plus, I have heard other people call it this.

Most things I don't really know the name to, so if I don't know the name, I just make it up. Like the pancake catch and axel catch, I just made up the names. I know, I know I'm pretty clever and original XD

Well, the reason I call it a pancake is because in my mind, a flic-flak involves the kite becoming completely inverted, while a pancake involves the kite simply going flat (parallel to the floor). Plus, I have heard other people call it this.

Most things I don't really know the name to, so if I don't know the name, I just make it up. Like the pancake catch and axel catch, I just made up the names. I know, I know I'm pretty clever and original XD

We always made up our own names too. :D

My names for some of my moves like the guillotene and can can.. You just call them what you want.. maybe you'll make a new catch word. :)

BB Penny

For guilitine, I actually have two moves with that name that I will do in one video. So far I've only made up two names: The sweep and the inverse-up-over.

The sweep is where the kite is behind you, and you jump and pull the kite underneath you, then it goes up and flies.

The inverse-up-over is pretty much just one round of that jump rope thing that I've seen you do, Penny.

If you can think of a more suitable name for these, please let me know.

For guilitine, I actually have two moves with that name that I will do in one video. So far I've only made up two names: The sweep and the inverse-up-over.

The sweep is where the kite is behind you, and you jump and pull the kite underneath you, then it goes up and flies.

The inverse-up-over is pretty much just one round of that jump rope thing that I've seen you do, Penny.

If you can think of a more suitable name for these, please let me know.

lol Guess I've been sweeping for a while. LD I like that name, but not sure it's complete with the pop up to fly it out. I just think .. Woosh~

*Jump rope or *Cindy Lou works for me for the jump rope.

Can yo do the can can? Pull it to you on the ground, kick it up and over you to fly behind you.

Are you keeping the video's up front for people to find easily?

BB Penny