KiteLife Forum

Light wind Adjustments

Flyboy

I've been flying my new CDC STX 1.8 and am really beginning to enjoy it. It's taken some time to move from the heavy handed Prism Adrenaline, but I'm slowly learning new techniques on the much more capable CDC.

According to CDC, this 1.8 is rated for winds as low as "0.1mph" But, while I can get a great 360 out of it, man it takes a lot of work. i was expecting a brisk walk, but it requires a pretty hard run. So, it makes me wonder if there are low wind adjustments I'm missing. This briddle's a good bit different from the old Prism! ;)So far I've moved the tow points higher (from slight to extreme - even tried lower), and removed the top spreader - thought the small weight reduction might help. I've emailed CDC for advice, but a week's gone by and no one's responded B)

Have any other suggestions for a novice?

TIA

I would say to consider using 100 foot lines if you're not already... Other than that, the STX 1.8 is a smaller kite as I recall... Until you get into an 8 foot wingspan on your ultralights, they generally won't quite get the "hang time" you're looking for.

Also to be clear, is it rated for 0.1mph or 1.0mph?

I fly the 1.8 regularly and it is 0.1... metric conversion :shifty: It can be flown in zero or indoors but it takes skill and effort. The best method is a good yank and work with the little hang time you have. But once you get it, it is amazing, it does the best tornado's.

Here's a link to some vids of guys doin it right, although watch the guy in the background, he's havin some issues wondering if it can fly indoors too.

http://aubert.pauline.free.fr/

So we got out today in barely a puff of wind, out of the bags were a 1.8, an Amazing, Jim M's Vapor, Johns UL Shiva and a lightly sparred Rev. The Amazing and the vapor were the show stoppers, the 1.8 flew but took some effort and I was too lazy to work that hard. Moved the bridle and the tow points around but still a struggle, and decided the 1.8 was best at 1-2mph. Regardless of what CDC says, as small as the 1.8 is it will be a difficult zero wind flyer and after spending some quality time on the Amazing... I will just have to get both inside and see. Lots of 360's... I saw Moon do a couple on the rev, her first I understand... John is turning into quite the trick flyer, but don't tell anyone :shifty: A great NW day of flying.

I did my first cascade in Seaside during the AKA Nationals, and just figured out the flic-flac yesterday on the field with Scott... Even popped off 2 jacob's ladders, although there wasn't enough wind to nail it down. :D

Does this mean you are switching back from the dark side? :P:o

Getting back to the 1.8... We discovered today that the bridle on our kite was way messed up, it is truly amazing that it flew as well as it did, or even at all. So take everything back that I said before and we will start over... :P

So flyboy... any word from CDC on those bridle settings?

yup, took over a week for a response ... but hey, they did reply. Here's the message verbatim:

Hi Andy,

have you tried this briddle ?

External low : 53cm

External up :47.5cm

internal : 43.5cm

Turbo: 7 cm

Dear regards

JP

This helps, but what I really need is an education on how the adjustments are made and what effect they each have - really beginner stuff (Prism's site has a little bit on this). Also, does taking the top spreader out help? I'm going to try 25' lines. too. All the videos of 1.8s flying indoors are (of course) all on shorter lines. That should help, too.

This helps, but what I really need is an education on how the adjustments are made and what effect they each have - really beginner stuff (Prism's site has a little bit on this).  Also, does taking the top spreader out help?  I'm going to try 25' lines. too. 

I think what you need can be found here:

Peters kite site

Click the terminolgy link, then find the bridle section. There is good, detailed, and easy to understand info on what adjustment cause which behavior.

But, here's the mainly important part:

By moving the bridle adjustment point

* toward the nose (forward or up), the nose is brought closer to you, dumping air more quickly out the back of the sail. Effects on the kite are: faster, lighter wind capability, less pull and slower/wider turns. By moving the nose forward in high winds, you will dump more air and lessen the pull exerted.

* away from the nose (back or down) sets the nose or the top of the kite away from you which retains wind in the sail longer. Effects are: slower, needs more wind, more pull, faster/tighter turns, and much more responsive.

* to the outside reduces the turn speed, reduces oversteer, reduces radicalness and increases the turn radius.

* to the inside (towards the spine) increases the turn speed, increases oversteer, increases radicalness and reduces the turn radius.

Also, don't remove the upper spreader. That will change many dynamics of the kite and will likely not fly as well. You do need that stiffness there in order to get proper response from line inputs.

HTH

Progcraft