KiteLife Forum

Winter Sites Near Long Beach WA

Hedgewarden

With winds coming from the East during the winter, ideally want a site on the Bay side. The ocean side winds are too variable, most of the time.

On my last attempt to fly on the ocean beach, the wind gauge read 8 mph (ALL RIGHT), quickly climbing to 18+ (OH OH), then within 5 minutes falling to less than 1 mph. Each speed possibly flyable, but not with any single kite in my bag.

So, does anyone know of any publicly accessible areas on the bay side of the peninsula?

-Howard

With winds coming from the East during the winter, ideally want a site on the Bay side. The ocean side winds are too variable, most of the time.

On my last attempt to fly on the ocean beach, the wind gauge read 8 mph (ALL RIGHT), quickly climbing to 18+ (OH OH), then within 5 minutes falling to less than 1 mph. Each speed possibly flyable, but not with any single kite in my bag.

So, does anyone know of any publicly accessible areas on the bay side of the peninsula?

-Howard

Sorry Howard, I don't.. They have several schools in Long Beach.. Inside the wind won't shift. :innocent: j/kidding. I wouldn't have faith in finding any clean wind anywhere, with what we've had.

Good luck. BB Penny

-Howard

Hello Howard,

There is no 'beach' that I can think of. The Willapa Bay side is mostly private property and mud flats and oyster beds.

There is one spot you might try. Going East on Bay Ave, in Ocean Park, towards Nahcotta, there is a small public viewing spot, with parking lot and restroom and scenic info signs posted, on the Willapa Bay side. The area around it is wide open, no trees, but I can't remember if it's too rocky or muddy or grassy or what, as it changes with the tide.

Hello Howard,

There is no 'beach' that I can think of. The Willapa Bay side is mostly private property and mud flats and oyster beds.

There is one spot you might try. Going East on Bay Ave, in Ocean Park, towards Nahcotta, there is a small public viewing spot, with parking lot and restroom and scenic info signs posted, on the Willapa Bay side. The area around it is wide open, no trees, but I can't remember if it's too rocky or muddy or grassy or what, as it changes with the tide.

Thanks, Theresa.

Actually, we just bought some vacation (RV'able) land about 1 mi from that viewing spot. We'll investigate next time we are down there.

But we haven't scoped much of the bay side yet. There is a beach quickly reachable from the parking lot of Leadbetter State Park, but the beach is very narrow there - maybe 30 feet - and bordered by mud flats on one side, forest on the other. Possible beaches north of there, seen on Google Earth, look like they are all day hikes.

Hello Howard,

Thanks, Theresa.

Actually, we just bought some vacation (RV'able) land about 1 mi from that viewing spot. We'll investigate next time we are down there.

But we haven't scoped much of the bay side yet. There is a beach quickly reachable from the parking lot of Leadbetter State Park, but the beach is very narrow there - maybe 30 feet - and bordered by mud flats on one side, forest on the other. Possible beaches north of there, seen on Google Earth, look like they are all day hikes.

The very best place to fly, in my opinion, is the west Bay Ave approach road to the beach. My favorite place. ;) Drivable, wide open, not too crowded, restroom and cafe close by....as well as the BEST yarn/fiber shop I have ever been in LOL. :P